No announcement yet.

Famous players you'd forgotten were ever managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerry Armstrong spent four years managing Worthing in the Isthmian league in the early '90s.

Sami Hyypia managed to turn Brighton from Championship playoff contenders to relegation candidates in a matter of months before Chris Hughton replaced him. I think he was at Leverkusen before that.

Comment

Adrian Heath seems to be a forgotten manager over here but has had success in the US and currently has an MLS gig.

Comment

Adrian Heath belongs in the category of 'Famous players you'd forgotten'

Comment

Still a hero to me.

Comment

Frank Worthington's time in charge of Tranmere is often forgotten. So is Arthur Albiston's tenure at Droylsden FC although that's more understandable.

Comment

Ronnie Whelan's managerial career was short and unusual, two years at Southend followed by a couple of years traveling around the lesser known backwaters of Greece and Cyprus

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                Reading an article about the post-1966 careers of England's world cup winners, it mentioned that Nobby Stiles was West Brom's manager in 85-86. I'd totally forgotten that. I literally have no recollection of him in a dugout.
                Nobby the manager, 15 seconds in.

Bobby Charlton failing at Preston was one of my "Santa isn't real?" moments from childhood. I was just old enough for the end of his playing career, but had seen very little TV coverage of him in action. He was a hero through football annuals and sticker albums, which made him all the more infallible in the imagination.

The notion that he could get sacked from anything was like ... well, England not going to the World Cup. A mean trick played by lying grown-ups.

Comment

Does Remi Garde count as a famous player?
                  And can I rename the thread 'Famous players you wish you'd forgotten were ever managers'?

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                    And can I rename the thread 'Famous players you wish you'd forgotten were ever managers'?
                    If I can include Brian Little... sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      To complete the 1966 picture. Ray Wilson had an inauspicious period at Bradford City.

George Cohen and Roger Hunt appear to be the only members of that team never to have dipped their toes into managerial waters.
                      Cohen managed non league Tonbridge around 1974, so a bit of a paddle, winning the club the Kent senior cup....

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                        I'd like to do this for Mark Fucking Hateley, please.

Comment

There seemed to be a belief that if you played under a great manager, his magic dust would make one of you. Hence the over-representation of Revie and Ramsey players, and now Ferguson ones.

Comment

Bobby Moore at Oxford City

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
                              I forgot that (now pundits) Chris Sutton (Lincoln) and Mark Lawrenson (Oxford) were once managers.

Not sure why but I'm continually surprised every time Alex Ferguson's stint as Scotland boss comes up, probably because the history I remember says he went from Aberdeen directly to Man Utd - he did but was also Scotland manager at the time. (I clearly remember Ferguson was a manager, however)

Neville Southall being joint manager of Wales (alongside a host of Kent non-league clubs) is also an odd one these days..
                              Ferguson was temporary assistant manager to Jock Stein, whilst he was still manager of Aberdeen. When Stein died of a heart attack after the Wales WC qualifier in September 1985 and Ferguson became Scotland manager until after the 1986 WC, whilst still being manager of Aberdeen. He left Aberdeen for Man U in November 1986.

Comment

Driving up North yesterday morning and fiddling with the car radio I chanced upon Talksport. You’ll never guess what one of their audience participation questions was......

Comment

Working...
                                X