Famous players you'd forgotten were ever managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous players you'd forgotten were ever managers

Reading an article about the post-1966 careers of England's world cup winners, it mentioned that Nobby Stiles was West Brom's manager in 85-86. I'd totally forgotten that. I literally have no recollection of him in a dugout. That season did have an extensive TV blackout, which might be part of why I don't remember. Any others (and the klaxon goes off for John Barnes at Celtic)?

Barnes also managed Tranmere (which I know without looking up), and was still applying for other jobs a few years ago. It's not his choice that he hasn't been a manager continually for the last 20 years. Him and Dalglish at Celtic was pretty memorable, for the wrong reasons. That was the genesis of the Super Caley Go Ballistic headline.

Comment

I thought that headline was a deliberate reference to one decades earlier, but from a game against Rangers?

Comment

Stiles managed Preston North End for several seasons before rocking up at Vancouver Whitecaps prior to WBA

Comment

Though I can’t find any record of it so must be mistaken.

Comment

I forgot that (now pundits) Chris Sutton (Lincoln) and Mark Lawrenson (Oxford) were once managers.

Not sure why but I'm continually surprised every time Alex Ferguson's stint as Scotland boss comes up, probably because the history I remember says he went from Aberdeen directly to Man Utd - he did but was also Scotland manager at the time. (I clearly remember Ferguson was a manager, however)

Neville Southall being joint manager of Wales (alongside a host of Kent non-league clubs) is also an odd one these days..

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              I thought that headline was a deliberate reference to one decades earlier, but from a game against Rangers?
              I think the story was the newspaper in question had already thought it up ready for an Old Firm game (Coisty rather than Calley) but that no match had panned out quite right for them to employ it. So it was sitting there in reserve when the Cup shock happened, and got repurposed. They did reuse it for a subsequent game when McCoist scored a number of times in a one-sided affair.

Comment

I should have moved to Preston 30 years before I did. Turns out Bobby Charlton had a go there too in the 1970s. As did Alan Ball (but we all remember him in a coat on the sideline in various places).
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 24-10-2018, 13:06.

Comment

TV’s and sexism’s Andy Gray had a short stint as Ron Atkinson's assistant manager at Villa which is oft-forgotten. I recall him being in the frame for the main job at Everton at one point too.

Comment

The 3 Lions who won the ‘66 World Cup for West Ham all had short-lived managerial stints.

Bobby Moore had an awkward spell at Div 4 Southend, Geoff Hurst bumbled along at 2nd division Chelsea for over a season, and Martin Peters took over from Harry Haslam at Sheff Utd during which period they dropped to Div 4.

Comment

And continuing the 66 theme, It's often forgotten That Sir Alf Ramsey had a stint in charge of Birmingham City after being sacked by England.

Comment

Emlyn Hughes at Rotherham (sorry GO)

Mind you, Frank McLintock was bloody hopeless at Leicester, ripping up Jimmly Bloomfields glorious side of the early seventies and getting us relegated with one of the (then) lowest points tallies in Division 1 history.
                        Last edited by nmrfox; 24-10-2018, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          As did Alan Ball (but we all remember him in a coat on the sideline in various places).
                          Not sure about the coat but he always wore a specific type of hat when he managed against Argyle.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Stiles managed Preston North End for several seasons before rocking up at Vancouver Whitecaps prior to WBA
                            He's on the opening titles of Granada Kick Off from a period in the 70s in a game versus Bury at Gigg Lane. I'll dig it out on YouTube when I'm home.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                              Emlyn Hughes at Rotherham (sorry GO)
                              I think that we were the only people who mourned him when he died...

Comment

Gordon Banks - Telford

The late Paul Futcher at Darlington

Viv Anderson at Barnsley

Comment

Chris Waddle at Burnley.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                    I think the story was the newspaper in question had already thought it up ready for an Old Firm game (Coisty rather than Calley) but that no match had panned out quite right for them to employ it. So it was sitting there in reserve when the Cup shock happened, and got repurposed. They did reuse it for a subsequent game when McCoist scored a number of times in a one-sided affair.
                                    This reminds of a, I think, S*n story 'reporting' on Princess Di wearing a blue dress to a function in Italy that she previously had worn somewhere else. The headline was "Did Di idle the eyeties" and I assumed that they had made up the story as the had thought up the headline. However, I am now unable to find any trace of this so wonder if I made up the whole thing.

Comment

I don't understand that headline at all

Comment

Asa Hartford was manager at Shrewsbury for a season.

Comment

To complete the 1966 picture. Ray Wilson had an inauspicious period at Bradford City.

George Cohen and Roger Hunt appear to be the only members of that team never to have dipped their toes into managerial waters.

Comment

Gary Neville and Alan Shearer must both wish they and everyone else would forget their attempts at management.
                                            Dietmar Hamann spent four months as manager of Stockport, and his Wikipedia picture is of him during this period looking completely terrified outside Tamworth's ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                              He's on the opening titles of Granada Kick Off from a period in the 70s in a game versus Bury at Gigg Lane. I'll dig it out on YouTube when I'm home.
                                              From 1977. Not quite the best-known and loved by Francis Monkman, but still a bit of a wig-out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11lJ0sKTdU

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                Though I can’t find any record of it so must be mistaken.
                                                I think you’re right. The paper won an award for it, and the next edition of private eye called them out by showing the original headline. I think it was from the 1960s.

Comment

Asa Hartford was also at Stockport for a while, I remember him glaring at me at the Old Showground when I was obviously discussing his hole in the heart a little too loudly from a few rows back. I also remember him being extremely foul mouthed.

David Platt seemingly had good credentials for management, being reasonably intelligent, good experience as a player with some good managers (Taylor, Wenger, Robson, Eriksson), but his management of Nottingham Forest was pretty disastrous, his England U21 stint was a little better, but otherwise he was just Bobby Mancini's mate at Man City, and most recently a brief stint at FC Pune in India.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X