Football stadiums not under cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    The City of Manchester Stadium is particularly bad for that, I think (possibly due to it’s original design as an athletics stadium?). They have to give out thousands of sky blue plastic ponchos out to supporters in the lower tiers when it rains and, it being Manchester, that is a common occurrrence.

Cardiff’s Stade de Farce seems to be the same.
    I thought you were going to hark back to the Cardiff away game at Craven Cottage when the away terrace wasn't covered and it pissed down all evening which led to me getting flu*

I am not sure that the front of any stand is truly covered. I remember a game where I sat at the front of the 'covered' part of the Bob Bank at Ninian Park and found out the difference between 'waterproof' and 'showerproof' in my new showerproof coat. The other problem is that there is always a part of every stand where there is a leak that lets a torrent of rain though. You would rather be out in anything up to torrential rain than sit under that.

*I know that you can't 'get' flu from being saturated by rain but facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true. Facts schmacts.

Comment

A few Ligue 1 stadiums are still partially uncovered: Montpellier’s La Mosson, Monaco’s Stade Louis II, the Costières at Nîmes, the Corsican clubs’ stadiums (when in Ligue 1, Bastia and the 2 Ajaccio clubs – although just the tiny South stand remains unroofed in AC Ajaccio AC’s François Coty stadium) and maybe 1 or 2 others.

La Mosson’s big South stand and the Méditerranée corner stand (15,000 seats) were supposed to get a roof by 2017 but the project was cancelled when plans for a new stadium emerged (Stade Louis Nicollin – of course – completion expected for 2022), I think the South stand is now permanently closed (the stadium’s far too big anyway for their gates averaging only about 12,000).

Angers' Raymond Kopa Stadium (formerly Jean-Bouin, too many Jean-Bouins in France so they renamed it when their old boy Raymond died in 2017) only got fully covered last February with the rebuild and extension of the Colombier stand (fans not happy though when tickets went up 40% in the new stand to cover costs, about €5 million, I remember them protesting on the radio).

Bordeaux’s old Stade Municipal/Chaban-Delmas had plenty of areas unprotected by the small roof around it (replaced by the Matmut Atlantique in 2015). Stade du Ray in Nice was gloriously roofless on three sides, got soaked there once (closed in 2013). Marseilles’ Vélodrome only got a roof 4 years ago for the Euros 2016.

Comment

Does Molineux still have its Gene Kelly Stand - the little bank of temporary uncovered seats in the one corner? Recent pics suggest it's still there, but unused.

Comment

Quite a few NFL stadiums seem to lack much in the way of cover to protect the fans: I'm by no means an expert but the Green Bay Packers stadium seems pretty open, as do many as those in the northern states. Does this mean that American football fans in the southern states, where many arenas are domed, are wussies?
          Last edited by Sporting; 20-10-2018, 09:36.

Comment

They are domed so that they can be air conditioned.

Comment

Tell this to the world cup organisers in Qatar.

Comment

The Qataris have largely abandoned that wheeze, haven't they?

Comment

Croke Park in Dublin is state of the art 82000 capacity stadium but about 30,000 of those get pissed on when it rains,the iconic Hill 16 is uncovered as are the first 30 rows of seats in the stands,of course Gaelic games are mostly summer sports so it's not really designed for northern European winters

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                    Croke Park in Dublin is state of the art 82000 capacity stadium but about 30,000 of those get pissed on when it rains,the iconic Hill 16 is uncovered as are the first 30 rows of seats in the stands,of course Gaelic games are mostly summer sports so it's not really designed for northern European winters
                    I remember going there for the Wales game and thinking that it was remarkably open to the elements. As it was, it was a remarkably unseasonally balmy March day when we were there. However, I do feel that not having a roof on, due to it being mostly used in Ireland's summer, is a triumph of hope over logic.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      That's appalling, have to say though that it's not really a fair reflection (at least from a Scottish perspective).

Been to a number of games since my stroke away from non-league games and the experience has been good. Somerset Park at Ayr, Tynecastle and Cove (Highland League) have all been fantastic with decent facilities and stewards were hugely helpful and approachable. Getting to games has been an entirely positive thing for me, Ayr and Cove aren't state of the art but they ensured comfort and the people there made sure you knew where to ask for help.

Comment

Working...
                      X