Bang the Matchgong - it's the mid October weekend matchgong thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bang the Matchgong - it's the mid October weekend matchgong thread

Friday night WPL action for me. Barry Town at home to Llanelli. The reverse fixture was live on Ess Pedwar Ec in August and Barry nicked a last gasp equaliser. A couple of months later and Llanelli are rooted at the bottom of the table while Barry are pushing the doped teams at the top and sit in third.

Friday evening is Lakeside Hammers v Workington Comets in the first leg of the Speedway Championship Shield Final. My first visit to Rye House Stadium since my club the Rockets closed down and the Hammers moved in so it will be a little weird.

Saturday afternoon is up in the air pending family commitments, if I stay local it will probably be Walton & Hersham v Chertsey Town - with the hosts now lurking near the foot of the ninth tier CCL Premier and very much the junior tenants to Casuals at their shared new ground. If I am more adventurous it may be Dorking Wanderers’ new Meadowbank ground for the visit of Wingate & Finchley (yes, that is probably the first time the concept of adventure has been used in relation to visiting Dorking).

Sunday afternoon I’m taking my son to Wembley for his first Gridiron game which is Tennessee Titans v Los Angeles Chargers.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-10-2018, 13:01.

Comment

Dundalk v Sligo Rovers for me as we thoroughly enjoy a gloriously prolonged coronation procession- the league was effectively won with a win in Cork (9pts clear with 4 to play), was 99.999% won with victory over Derry (12pts and +25 clear with 4 to play), mathematically won against Pats, and it's trophy presentation day on Friday. My boys will be there for a pitch invasion and rare League of Ireland autograph/selfie session. And I'm packing a football this time so they can smack a few shots into the empty goal.

Comment

Macclesfield v Carlisle.

My mate has organised us some corporate hospitality tickets, so at the very least that ought to be more interesting than the usual pie and freezing open terrace day out at Moss Rose. Going on the train so that I can take advantage of the fine hostelries that the town has to offer.

Comment

Smart move, TRL. I love the walk from station to Moss Rose. The Railway is a particular favourite for me. I'm babysitting my godson on the evening we're there in the afternoon. I'm gutted it won't be a session.

Fundraising dinner for Lenny Johnrose for me on the Friday, then on the Saturday Lenny and a number of his former teammates will be at the game with Notts County at Gigg. I'm as giddy as a kipper at the thought of seeing my childhood heroes again.

Comment

Charlton v Barnsley

We've sold close to 1500 tickets so it should be a good atmosphere. We are, however, due a loss...

Comment

Eintracht Frankfurt v Fortuna Düsseldorf. Home team has won its last three, away team has lost its last three. Forecast: 0-1.

Comment

Witton Albion .V. Solihull Moors F.A. Cup Fourth Qualifying Round.

Our 100th F.A. Cup campaign has gone remarkably well so far. We've seen off two sides from higher leagues in Spennymoor and F.C. United to reach this round for the first time in seven years.

Solihull are 5th in The National League however and we're God knows where in the Evostick League so this could be a bridge too far. Just hoping for a good game and to do
                ourselves justice even if we lose.

Comment

Away to Bray Wanderers as the season draws to a close,the Carlisle grounds is one of the nicest places to watch a game in the summer,in October not so much

Comment

Dereham Town vs Romford

Dereham's Aldiss Park doesn't look like much to shout about, but it's saving me from attending a party for a collection of two-year-olds, so I'm looking forward to it more than I might.

Comment

The A-League season commences so I’ll be using the first of my 5-game Dad ‘n’ Lad season ticket as Perth Glory host Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday afternoon.

Glory had a shocker last season, finishing 8th out of the 10 teams which finally saw Manager Kenny Lowe get the boot. So in comes Tony Popovic, who won the Title and Asian Champions League with Western Sydney Wanderers a few years back. He’s brought in a few Socceroos players so the expectations are huge and many in the media are tipping Glory to finish top 3 behind Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory.

I’m not too sure they’ll be that good, but looking forward to seeing how it pans out. It can’t be as bad as last season.

Comment

Brentford v Bristol City

It's the first game for new Head Coach, Thomas Frank and I'm assuming it will be a smooth transition with more of what Matthew Benham describes as 'liquid football' on display.

At least I hope so, as I'm being accompanied by this board's Argentinian correspondent and I've been bigging up how entertaining a visit to Griffin Park usually is.

Comment

Easthouses v Musselburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                            Smart move, TRL. I love the walk from station to Moss Rose. The Railway is a particular favourite for me. I'm babysitting my godson on the evening we're there in the afternoon. I'm gutted it won't be a session.

Fundraising dinner for Lenny Johnrose for me on the Friday, then on the Saturday Lenny and a number of his former teammates will be at the game with Notts County at Gigg. I'm as giddy as a kipper at the thought of seeing my childhood heroes again.
                            Waters Green Tavern was always our hostelry of choice, if it's still trading under the old management / brand.

Comment

Grange Albion v Canton Liberal

Derby day.

Comment

Rotherham United v Bolton Wanderers. Relegation battle already...

Comment

Albion Rovers v Formartine in the cup.

My two year old grandsons first game. He can see first hand the misery that I've had to endure these last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                    Eintracht Frankfurt v Fortuna Düsseldorf. Home team has won its last three, away team has lost its last three. Forecast: 0-1.
                                    Partial credit.

Comment

Barry Town 5 v 2 Llanelli Town

This was in no way a fair reflection of the scoreline because Barry also hit the post twice and missed several other chances. Llanelli's two goals were both equalisers following calamitous defending. It was 1-1 after 5 minutes, 2-1 at half time, then 2-2 a few minutes into the second half. Llanelli had a man sent off with a straight red card with half an hour to go and went 3-2 down about 10 minutes before the end. They then had a second straight red to go down to 9 men, and Barry scored the final two goals right at the end of normal time and in the second of three additional minutes.

Barry have a really good approach to the game with a lot of wide play. Macauley Southam-Hayles and Chris Hugh are marauding full backs who spent most of the time in the Llanelli half. Hugh scored the third goal, his second in a week. In the middle Llanelli were beaten to almost every second ball, while Barry exude confidence at the back. Perhaps too much confidence as no one challenged for a misclearance as it dropped back in the box for the first Llanelli equaliser and they were caught napping for the second one as well.

Despite being third in the table, this win only took their goal difference up to 2. Giving cheap goals away isn't going to help them in their quest for a European slot. They're currently level on point with TNS, who have a goal difference of 25.

Comment

MSK Zilina vs Zemplin Michalovce in the Slovak league. Four successive wins before the international break pushed Zilina into 3rd place in the league. Michalovce are third from bottom. It looks like a routine home win, but something tells me it might not turn out that way.

Comment

Good turn out from Bolton. And Miller Bear is obviously in the wood...

Comment

Yay! He's here now.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                              Partial credit.
                                              Yes, arguably a 50% correct prediction. Barnstorming game, loved every last fucking second of it. Luka Jovic becomes the first player to ever score five for Eintracht in a single Bundesliga game. His first, and Eintracht’s all-Serbian second, may be the finest goal I‘ve ever seen live in a stadium, from the shimmy forwards and pass out wide from Gavinovic, through Kostic‘s perfect first-time cross, to Jovic‘s flying sideways volley past the flailing Rensing. Final score: 7-1.

Comment

Goal-free at half time. Not through want of trying by either side.

Comment

The ESPN+ match today is Brentford-Bristol City, so Miller Bear sightings for me, alas.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X