Peter Brackley RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    I have such happy memories of him on Football italia. At this distance it's still difficult to believe what an explosion of sunshine that show was, in the horrendous Gloom of the late Heysel ban/early premier league, when English football had its dark ages, and Brackley was every bit as much part of that as James Richardson.
    As we seem to have strayed slightly off-topic, perhaps this as good a place as any to point out that James Richardson is currently presenting The Great Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5.

Comment

Given his haircut and his propensity to eat yummy cake while sitting outside, is Inspector Montalbano based in part on James Richardson?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
        If Football Italia only appeared on Channel Four in 1992, what the hell was I watching in the late eighties on RTE then?
        No idea - perhaps they shared the deal that the fledgling S4C had to show Serie A via their Sgorio programme (which predated C4 interest by some while)?

Comment

That sounds really really plausible. It was just the Italian feed though, coz they were using the same on screen graphics as Italia 90, with all the little dots.

Comment

RAI International made that feed available, erm, internationally, with or without commentary.

It was broadcast live on the New York City Department of Education's UHF television channel on Sunday mornings in Italian.

That station broadcast a lot of foreign language content, including daily news programmes in Italian, French, Cantonese and Mandarin.

Comment

That sounds incredibly plausible. The day after it first aired, I saw my first backheel on the school playground.

Comment

Richardson hosts an excellent Golazzo podcast. This one on Italia 90 with Horncastle and Marcotti:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-76wbi-4caa16b

Good article by Marcotti on that year:

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articl...mental-journey

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                  As we seem to have strayed slightly off-topic, perhaps this as good a place as any to point out that James Richardson is currently presenting The Great Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5.
                  Yes, that was a really nice surprise when I tuned into the first programme. And he's great on that, too. I've only seen the first episode so far but have it recording on series link so must catch up soon.

Comment

James Richardson strikes me as the kind of guy who might be into model railways.

As was Johnny Cash, apparently. I stumbled upon a seventies TV commercial he made regarding said hobby just the other night.

Comment

Cash's 1976 commercial is an interesting example of sexism. "Get your boys a train that's built for how young boys play." Infact I might show it in class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuSrP7bO8kc

Comment

In a(n) historical context, perhaps. It was 1976, don't forget.

Comment

Does that hold here, though? Some toy advertising was much more gendered very recently than it was back in the 70s. The distinction between "boys toys" and "toys" was not as marked. Lego being the infamous example.

Comment

Is that because they were less gendered times, or because things were already so gendered that people already knew?

Comment

Working...
                            X