Rogin's occasional Tuesday quiz - World Cup penalty shootouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogin's occasional Tuesday quiz - World Cup penalty shootouts

Edited for Janik these are relating to Men's, senior, World Cup final tournaments.

1. Which 6 teams have won shootouts at World Cups by scoring all 5 kicks? Clue - there's one each from 1986, 1990, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014

2. Who was the first player to miss a kick in a World Cup shootout?

3. Who is the only player to score the decisive kick in two World Cup penalty shootouts?

4. Which three teams have missed three successive penalties in shootouts?

5. Which two Dutch players were the only to score in both their quarter final and semi final shootouts in 2014?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 09-10-2018, 16:36.

Kuyt for the final question. Don't know the other one.

Comment

1. Ole Ole Ole Ole...... Ireland 90

Comment

For 4. the USA managed that in the 2011 Final (Shannon Boxx, Carli Lloyd and Tobin Heath). If that isn't one of your answers, then questions might need to add some qualifiers.

In fact, I know they do, as there were perfect 5 from 5's in 1999 and 2011...
        Last edited by Janik; 09-10-2018, 15:17.

Comment

2 Uli Stielike in 1982? (Given all that went on in that semi final, it's one of the great wonders of football history that West Germany 'still' somehow went through.)

Comment

I don't know the answers to those good questions, so can I dare to ignore board etiquette and add a question of my own: Who scored penalties at two different world cups (one in a shootout), once with his left foot and once with his right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              I don't know the answers to those good questions, so can I dare to ignore board etiquette and add a question of my own: Who scored penalties at two different world cups (one in a shootout), once with his left foot and once with his right?
              Andreas Brehme?

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                Andreas Brehme?
                Far too quick and good.

He scored with his left foot in the penalty shoot out against Mexico in 1986 and with his right in the final against Argentina four years later. I can't think of any other footballer who has used both feet to take penalties.

Comment

4 - I'm sure Switzerland failed to score any of their penalties against Ukraine in 2006, so mathematically must have missed at least three in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                    4 - I'm sure Switzerland failed to score any of their penalties against Ukraine in 2006, so mathematically must have missed at least three in a row.
                    Aw, crap, I had just about forgotten about that game. 2.5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Comment

Working...
                    X