Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We will sell any of our players to your club

(Antedote to 'won't sell' thread.)

Or, as I prefer to call them, 'well-trodden transfer trails' (when they clearly are not).

I am fond of transfers that are ridiculously random, between clubs that have no proximity at all, that make one wonder about their scouting networks. Clearly, with freedom of movement etc (ahhh), there are some marvellous cross-border moves, but I want to point out moves within Britain that must, must be one-offs.

Take Elgin City's summer goalkeeper signing Tom McHale. Guess where he was signed from? Aberdeen? Ross County? Or somewhere far flung like Dumbarton or St Mirren? Nope, he moved from Truro City, for whom he was a near ever-present last season. Truro to Elgin. Splendid.

Torquay striker Ruairi Keating may catch the media's eye by being related to singer Ronan, but I am moved much more by the fact that he joined the Gulls from Finn Harps. Finn Harps to Torquay, that well-worn transfer trail...

The SPFL is full of these. Elliott Frear (Forest Green to Motherwell), Cole Kpekawa (Colchester to St Mirren) and Tom Owen-Evans (Newport to Falkirk) being spectacular recent examples of the art.

That. That is what i am looking for.

Between 2012 and 2015 players and coaches left my lot to go to Dundee United at what felt like the rate of one a fortnight. Even when the transfer window was shut, there'd be an announcement of a pre-contract signing.

Comment

In the early 90s St Johnstone signed striker Martin Buglione from Margate.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
        Truro to Elgin. Splendid.
        That is glorious. All the more so for the extra serendipitous fact that those must be two of the smallest clubs in Britain to have the suffix City – and, indeed, surely two of the smallest cities in Britain full stop, no?

Comment

Just checked the latter supposition via Wikipedia, and yes Truro is Britain's 7th-smallest city with a population of just 18,766 at the 2011 census. I see Elgin is "a town (former cathedral city)" so doesn't actually appear on the list, regrettably, though Daniel Defoe noted in 1717 that:
          In this rich country is the city, or town rather, of Elgin; I say city, because in antient time the monks claim'd it for a city; and the cathedral shews, by its ruins, that it was a place of great magnificence.
          With a population of 23,128 in the same census it would rank 10th-smallest, though.

There's data suggesting Truro City's average attendance last season was 469, which actually wasn't that bad for that suffix in the National League South alone – some way below Chelmsford City, St Albans City and Bath City, but comfortably more than Oxford City and Gloucester City. Elgin City also trump them with an average of 607 last season.

Comment

River Allen - Plymouth Argyle to Gateshead to Bodmin Town.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              That is glorious. All the more so for the extra serendipitous fact that those must be two of the smallest clubs in Britain to have the suffix City – and, indeed, surely two of the smallest cities in Britain full stop, no?
              I'm sure there was a round in Pointless devoted to British cities and someone said Elgin but it scored 100. I'd have done exactly the same.

Comment

I'm fascinated how, in the mid-80s, Bury's reserve striker Chris Cutler went from Central League games to playing for Pallo Iirot in Finland. Who watched him playing for Bury and recommended him? I didn't even find out when I interviewed Cutler.

Kevin Young and Joe Jakub moving from a middling Third Division club to FC Utrecht and AZ Alkmaar respectively - the latter being where Jakub played with Louis van Gaal - has also been a source of interest over just how they came to be there.

Comment

Finally, something my own club can be of use to.

We currently have Jordon Forster playing for us, he signed from Hibernian last season. We also had Brian Graham from Hibs who, in turn, has returned to Scotland to play for Ross County.

My personal favourite though is Finnish International Daniel O'Shaughnessy who left us in January to sign for HJK Helsinki (we signed him from Brentford).

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                    The SPFL is full of these. Elliott Frear (Forest Green to Motherwell), Cole Kpekawa (Colchester to St Mirren) and Tom Owen-Evans (Newport to Falkirk) being spectacular recent examples of the art.
                    We sold Louis Moult to Motherwell, where his goal ratio held up pretty well. Shows that the gulf between the Conference and Scottish top flight might not be that difficult to bridge...

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                      I'm fascinated how, in the mid-80s, Bury's reserve striker Chris Cutler went from Central League games to playing for Pallo Iirot in Finland. Who watched him playing for Bury and recommended him? I didn't even find out when I interviewed Cutler.
                      Similarly Chris Cleaver went from spells with Grantham Town, King's Lynn and Cambridge City to join Finnish side TP-Seinäjoki (although that must've been a good decade and a half later).

Doncaster currently have a number of players on their books from Peterborough. Hardly surprising since our current and previous manager were both at The Posh.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Kevin Young and Joe Jakub moving from a middling Third Division club to FC Utrecht and AZ Alkmaar respectively - the latter being where Jakub played with Louis van Gaal - has also been a source of interest over just how they came to be there.
                        Probably down to an agent touting them around. I think that would explain a lot of the unlikely looking moves on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X