It was 18 years ago today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was 18 years ago today...

Kevin Keegan resigned as England Manager. England had just lost to Germany in a game that was specially historic - anyone remember why?

Last game at the old Wembley.

What do I win?

Comment

Don't mention '66. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it alright...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
        Don't mention '66. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it alright...
        'Once' he says!

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          Last game at the old Wembley.

What do I win?
          Knowledge is its own reward, Jah

Comment

Oh, I know. My bookcase is my trophy cabinet.

Comment

Keegan acknowledged in interviews that he no longer believed he was good enough. He had probably formed that view over Euro 2000, where England were one of the two worst teams (with Germany). Decent man*, not cut out to be an England boss (he was appointed because the tabloids wanted "passion" and that wasn't enough).

*I exclude his TOTP appearances from this judgment

Comment

Nice short ITW of the great man in yesterday’s Football Focus (he started his pro career 50 years ago last month and is releasing a book), from 38’50:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...focus-06102018

Nice fellow too, according to a few Newcastle people I’ve talked to who’ve known him well, such as Malcolm Dix (current NUFC honorary vice-president, and the founder of the first Newcastle Supporters’ association if I’m not mistaken) who once told me down at the Magpies' shrine in town (The Back Page) what a gentleman Keegan was – Dix, himself a thoroughly nice chap, was part of the group of people/businessmen who persuaded Keegan to leave successful Southampton (D1 and in Europe in the last 2 seasons) for beleaguered Newcastle in 1982 (then treading water in D2). I suppose getting the highest salary in English football at the time (£3,000 a week according to Dix, partly paid by the then main sponsor, the late Scottish & Newcastle Breweries) did facilitate the move, but wor Kevin does have strong northeastern roots too, via his father.

Comment

Working...
                X