Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scabby weather.

Comment

The standard non-league ball over the roof has nestled ten feet up a tree, causing grief for the ball-retreiver...

Comment

Goal free rubbish in scabby weather. Do I bother with the second half?

Comment

Bollocks. The Buzzards score with a breakaway goal.

Comment

Equaliser from a free kick baffles everyone including the scorer...

Comment

Unterhaching 1:1 Muenster

The last five games have been lost one, drawn four. Despite this, we're still fifth in the table, which doesn't say much about the standard of the 3. Liga.

Comment

Finished 1-1.

Comment

Alemannia Aachen 1-0 SV Lippstadt

Poor quality game which got more lively in the last 20 minutes with the home team creating and squandering progressively easier chances before they eventually got one they couldn't miss, and didn't. Lippstadt hit the bar after that. 4,800 in a stadium with a capacity of nearly 33,000. Nice walk to the stadium from the station.

Comment

Peterborough 0-4 Barnsley

We were so good today that even Steve Evans said we were the better team in his post match interview. (He also said our goalkeeper should have been sent off at 0-0, and refused to shake our manager's hand at the final whistle.)

Comment

Clapton Community FC 4-4 FC Roast

Great game. Clapton started purposefully and deserved their early 2-0 lead with 2 well worked goals. Buy Roast got back into the game constantly exposing space available on the left side of Clapton's defence. Soon the score was 3-2 and eventually 4-2 when Clapton scored with an opportunistic lob. Just before the break, Roast drew one back, again down the right, superb solo effort by their number 10.

Second half saw Clapton hanging on for dear life, with lots of very heavy legs, whereas Roast seemed still light on their feet. The got a deserved equaliser in the final minutes, but there was still time for Clapton to go very close in injury time.

Awful weather, but great game of football. Nice to see old faces back enjoying watching very low tier football. It's not the old spotted dog and it's not the Essex Senior League, but it'll more than do until we get the Dog back.

Comment

Bath City 3 Lewes 0

To look at that scoreline, we bounced back after last week's dire performance against Welling. However, we made really heavy weather of it, only scored the first just before half-time and, but for an excellent save by our keeper, could have been 1-0 down by then. Just before our opener, we let Lewes into the game way too much as they capitalised on our being light on numbers at the back. We have a small squad of, in reality, 16 plus 3 loanees (one only signed yesterday) and injuries are beginning to tell after a very good run with a very settled side. Last week was the first game where the starting team was disrupted to any great extent and it showed as we let Welling get two very soft goals to win. This week, we settled down a bit with one of our loanees in the centre of midfield, who has hardly played for his parent club, getting up to speed a bit more and our new right back loanee starting off as if he has played every match this season. We still made heavy work of killing off Lewes though and they were unlucky not to get a consolation goal at least. Too many players either injured, not playing at their best, not used to their new positions or just not match-fit presently. Still, through to the next round with a bit of Cup cash so I am not going to complain.

Comment

A change in plan for me as once I worked out my daughter’s race schedule there was no way I was going to see anything with a 3pm kick-off.

Luckily I was at Chiswick Bridge close to at least three Southern Amatuer League games which all kicked off at 2pm as they don’t have floodlights. I chose to watch Civil Service v Actonians Association as I was aware of the host’s status as the sole founder member club of the Football Association still in existence and the oldest amatuer club in the world.

The team are one of many to play on King’s House Sports Ground (but the only one to have a stand, tiny though it is) and the set up is very rudimentary but welcoming with the crowd seemingly composed entirely of players’ relatives, apart from me.

I missed the opening goal from the visitors as I was a couple of minutes late due to traffic but Civil Service drew level just before half time with a 30 yard strike from their captain which may end up being the best goal I see live all season - hit beautifully with the ball describing an arc before dipping wildly under the crossbar right in the corner of the goal.

It remained 1-1 for the rest of the game and late on I overheard two subs discussing extra time which was when I realised it was a cup game (the Middlesex & Essex Cup, to be precise) and I would have to miss any extra time seeing my daughter finish her race. I dashed off at the end of ninety minutes and later found out it finished 3-3 after extra time with Acton Association winning 2-4 on penalties.

I’ve rarely ever missed a goal at a game I’ve attended and now I’ve managed to miss five out of six. Good job I did as I managed to turn up on Hammersmith Bridge only ninety seconds or so before my daughter rowed in to view so I could roar her on for the final stages.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-10-2018, 15:47.

Comment

She’s old enough to be rowing?

I feel even older than usual.

Comment

Hallam 2-0 Nostell Miners Welfare

Competitive game between a pair of well matched sides where the slope was the dominant factor in proceedings. Nostell were the better side in the first period which included an entertaining fight, Hallam had the lions share of the second. They scored midway through the half from a corner, then they added to it when the keeper dropped a long punt forward.

After we went out in Sheffield for my birthday pub crawl, we did an enjoyable run round some of my favourite pubs in the city (Shakespeare, Dog & Partridge, Red Deer, Bath, Dev Cat, Rutland) and ended up in some grotty bar in Rotherham with me trying having another attempt to turn a certain lady into the next Ms Longeared. Reader, I marr She said no.

Comment

Decided to go to Cardiff Met v Connah's Quay. Could be interesting - Met's victory versus TNS last week may have kicked started their season and Connah's Quay are flying high in second.

Comment

The Quay are only second because TNS played yesterday. They were top on Friday.

Enjoy the game. Met looked good on the Box last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Good job I did as I managed to turn up on Hammersmith Bridge only ninety seconds or so before my daughter rowed in to view so I could roar her on for the final stages.
                                    Oh, yes, how did she do?

Comment

Did seven matches around the Bristol area in the Western League groundhog this weekend. First game at Brislington on Friday evening was probably the best, Odd Down coming from behind to win 3-2. Worst was Bridgwater's 1-0 win over Bridport this morning. Generally reasonable weather, although of course the only game at which it rained was at one of the grounds with least cover; I wasn't particularly worried about this as I was already soaked from having down the Pomphrey Hill Parkrun.

Comment

Funny autocorrect there, Zeb. Made me think you might be waking up to do it all again tomorrow.

Comment

Did seven matches around the Bristol area in the Western League groundhog this weekend. First game at Brislington on Friday evening was probably the best, Odd Down coming from behind to win 3-2. Worst was Bridgwater's 1-0 win over Bridport this morning. Generally reasonable weather, although of course the only game at which it rained was at one of the grounds with least cover; I wasn't particularly worried about this as I was already soaked from having down the Pomphrey Hill Parkrun.

Comment

<applause>

Comment

Cardiff Met 1-3 Connah's Quay Nomads

A fairly good game spoilt by terrible language and a total lack of respect for the match officials. The ref didn't nip it in the bud early on and duly paid for it. The low point was when a Connah's Quay player told a MEt fan to "fuck off". Twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                                F.C.United of Manchester .V. Witton Albion F.A Cup 3rd Qualifying Round.

FCUM are a league above us but currently bottom of that league so I'm not entirely without hope.
                                                Well, I was right to have some hope. They turned out to be there for the taking and if anything we made heavy weather of winning 2-1
                                                without being at our best.

They didn't take kindly to it on or off the field, finishing the game with eight men and throwing coins and bottles at our supporters and players
                                                as they celebrated on the final whistle.

Anyway Fourth Qualifying Round for the first time in seven years.

Comment

Working...
                                                X