The nights are fair drawing in: midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nights are fair drawing in: midweek matchgoing

I'm making a rare midweek foray this week, with my Grimsby-supporting pal Tony to Carlisle away.

While I'd normally be neutral/a bit torn between the two (as Ms Felicity's mother is a Carlisle lass/fan AND I was at the Jimmy Glass game) I think the Mariners may need the lend of my support rather more at the moment.

Tony works in Darlington and we are both rushing for the 5.30 train from Newcastle, so hope we get there at least.

Should we go 1-0 down - especially early on - expect the vitriol from the Town end to be vicious. The Fishy is currently on it's seemingly default setting of implode at the moment as are most other forms of social media associated with the club.

Comment

Hoping to make it to Lewes vs Worthing for my first visit to the Dripping Pan.

Comment

Wimbledon v Bradford tomorrow night for me, my son and younger daughter finally saw a Dons win on Saturday (their first home one this season) so it would be nice to do the same.

Comment

Lewisham Borough vs someone, tonight. My first bit of live football in a month.

Comment

Manchester United v Valencia. Dreading it.

Comment

I've got to drive to Colwyn Bay tomorrow and half considered coming home via Walsall to watch Shrewsbury away in the Checkatrade trophy. But then I realised that just because something is technically possible doesn't mean you should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                I'm making a rare midweek foray this week, with my Grimsby-supporting pal Tony to Carlisle away.

While I'd normally be neutral/a bit torn between the two (as Ms Felicity's mother is a Carlisle lass/fan AND I was at the Jimmy Glass game) I think the Mariners may need the lend of my support rather more at the moment.

Tony works in Darlington and we are both rushing for the 5.30 train from Newcastle, so hope we get there at least.
                Give us a wave, etc.

This season I've seen us play twice, and lose twice (without scoring) - and I'm going tomorrow night, so fill your boots at the bookies.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                  Lewisham Borough vs someone, tonight. My first bit of live football in a month.
                  The someone was Erith & Belvedere, and they were very good. They remain unbeaten after this as it finished Borough 1-6 E&B

I stood near the entrance for the opening 15 minutes as I was waiting for a mate to get there, and was disappointed by just how many people will A. Try and blag their way into a tenth tier fixture (especially one you can often get a better vantage point of from outside) without paying, or B. Get very put out by the notion of paying to watch. Lewisham are a community club, don't pay their players, and at a fiver are probably the cheapest in the division. They almost went bust in the summer, but still a lot of people don't see why they should pay. It's probably indicative of something.

It was still the biggest crowd I've seen at Ladywell for a Lewisham game though, swelled by away support and groundhoppers swayed by a Monday night game.

Despite the result, Borough look better than they have in recent seasons - if they can stave of their usual implosion this campaign they might be able to start picking up a few results.

Comment

Just realised Walsall v Shrewsbury is a league game not Checkatrade. Still not sensible to try and get there though.

Comment

Zilina U19 played Montpellier U19 in something called the European Youth Cup on Wednesday night and were beaten 5-1. The visitors were seriously good, their front three terrifyingly so. Zilina did very little wrong other than switching off for the last three minutes of the first-half, during which the score went from 0-1 to 0-3. There's a second leg to come, which seems a bit pointless. Decent crowd for it by Slovak standards ; 1,609, which is a lot more than half the top league clubs get for first-team fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        Give us a wave, etc.

This season I've seen us play twice, and lose twice (without scoring) - and I'm going tomorrow night, so fill your boots at the bookies.
                        I didn't take your advice, sadly- tho I did win on 3 0-0s.

3, 300 was announced as the crowd and 130 in the Grimsby end. Obviously more than they expected as the pies ran out early at half time.

We managed a very quick one in The Beehive but had to run to catch the last train, unable even to pick up a kerry oot. Very noticeable that no-one gets that Newcastle train out of Carlisle after the match to any intermediate stations (whereas I've made the journey early on a saturday and seen hordes of Northumberland rugby types leaving the 4x4 at home and getting on heading to St James). But that may be cos you can get a later bus/drive and have time for the pint we regretted not having.

Comment

Working...
                        X