No announcement yet.

The new crests/badges/logos thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Says the board's biggest fan of OM's nonsense European and third jerseys . . .

Comment

There's a time and a place for such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
        (Though rot started to set in when local municipalities started banning clubs from using their coats of arms and crests)
        Twas the other way round in fair Salopia. The club wanted a logo they could trademark so ditched the town crest in favour of Clippy the Lion.

Comment

Cheltenham did the same - couldn't trademark the town crest so went with a pigeon in a jester's hat, which always confused me because we had a perfectly decent bouncing ball logo from the late 80s/early 90s. We only started using the town crest in 1992.

Last edited by Simon G; 15-01-2021, 09:32.

Comment

What PT said - This issue wasn't that councils banned clubs from using them. It was that clubs couldn't get exclusive rights to prevent people making hooky copies as the badges weren't trademarkable and so invented badges that they could trademark and thus enforce exclusivity.

Comment

Tranmere are going back to the town coat of arms badge next season

Though it is subtlety different, as was discovered recently when a huge version was plastered on a wall in Oxton, the local NIMBYs complained, discovered it could be construed as an advertisement and therefore need planning permission, and so to avoid this, it had to be changed into the Birkenhead coat of arms instead

Comment

I'm three years late to this and I can't upload images from my phone (which is mildly annoying) but I really like Nantes Atlantique new logo, especially in contrast to their old logo.

I'd always assumed that they were part of the same club as Handball Club de Nantes.

Are there any other sports clubs named after airports?

Comment

Crawley Down changed their name to Crawley Down Gatwick in 2012.

Comment

Airbus in the second tier of the Welsh pyramid play next to Broughton Airport and are named after the planes built nearby.

Comment

To be specific, their origins are as the works team of Airbus (and the previous incarnations of the factory back to Vickers-Armstrong in the post-war era).

This is their badge, to bring it back on topic ;

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        I'm three years late to this and I can't upload images from my phone (which is mildly annoying) but I really like Nantes Atlantique new logo, especially in contrast to their old logo.

I'd always assumed that they were part of the same club as Handball Club de Nantes.

Are there any other sports clubs named after airports?
                        New logo:

Old logo:

Comment

Comment

I saw Stansted at Hoddesdon Town in the Essex Senior Lesgue late last year. They make nothing of their association with the airport. Wiki claim the clunky term "Airportmen" is one of their nicknames but everyone seemed to jist refer to them as The Blues, disappointingly.

Which contrasts with this lot who are nowhere near an airport :

Comment

Comment

As far as I can see, the gloriously named club "Prat" who play in the Segunda B in Spain make no mention of the major airport that is also in El Prat de llobregat

CS Otopeni who were briefly a thing in Romania before going out of business a few years ago, had the nickname Aviatorii

Comment

Comment

Cardiff Airport play in the South Wales Alliance.

Frankfurt's basketball team have spent the last decade as Fraport Skyliners thanks to a sponsorship deal with the local airport.

Comment

Isn't Newcastle Jets' name and crest referring to a nearby air force base?

Comment

Newcastle United Jets? No, no, no. That's too many names.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I left out the United... so should they, why would you want to associate yourselves with that absolute shower right now?

Comment

British Airways FC of the Combined Counties League D1 have a disappointing badge (above).

Though when getting it off google I did discover that Athletic Madrid were known as "Athletic Aviacion de Madrid from 1939 to 1947 after a merger with a team set up by members of the Spanish Air Force."
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-01-2021, 10:20.

Comment

Oh boy. I can't believe that this is going to be Inter Milano's real logo.

Comment

Yuck, though the name change (or re-emphasis of the name) is far worse a crime than the logo

Comment

It looks like a neo-Nazi / alt-right symbol

Comment

I don't expect either to survive the sale of the club, which is something that is currently being discussed and I expect to happen in the next one to three years.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X