Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jah Womble
    replied
    To be fair, it was as much his overall inability to present as it was the material itself...

Leave a comment:

• tracteurgarcon
    replied
    As a stand up comic who has died more than my fair share of times at corporate events it's pleasing to see Idris's gag falling like lead in front of a completely disinterested audience, although I'm guessing he was paid rather more than I was for the East Midland Heating Engineers' Conference at Leicester Tigers.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    That article confirms the goal award was a completely public vote and I’m convinced it will have been a Sons of Shankly stitch-up to wind up Everton.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    At the risk of thread drift, I am wondering if the Championship sees a particularly high number of screaming volleys from outside the box. I wonder if it's because there's a lot of players capable of doing them (which you don't get lower down) but the defenders aren't as composed as Premier League defenders, so are more likely just to head their clearances anywhere, which tees these chances up?

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Bit disappointed that none of the screaming volleys from the midweek games in the Championship back in April made it in (Neves, Evans and Grealish with the strikes for Wolves, Sheff Utd and Villa in those matches).

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=1#post1414778

Maybe John McGinn will get a look in next time.

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=1#post1475911

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Riley McGree's for the sheer audacity is the best goal by miles there. As others have said, it wasn't even Salah's best goal of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    It wasn't even Salah's best of the season, let alone FIFA's. If it absolutely has to be one of the top players - which clearly it doesn't - then Bale's effort in the ECL Final was evidently far superior. (There's also something somewhat awkward about Salah's Best Player nomination - or Courtois's gong for Best Goalkeeper - not tallying with inclusion in the World XI.)
    BBC thinking along the same lines.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    That probably wasn't even Salah's best goal that month.

Bale's goal was so good it forced Cristiano ronaldo to leave real madrid, That's how good it was.

But if you're ignoring that it was in a CL final, that goal by the australian guy is completely insane.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by seand View Post
    Well obviously football awards are as a general rule a load of bollocks, but the Puskas Award in particular should surely be an opportunity to throw a crumb of recognition and reward to some no-mark who managed to bang in a 30 yard bicycle kick for a minnow club like Napoli or Atletico Madrid rather than giving another piece of ugly silverware to the super-hyper-mega-elite.
    Shouldn’t it just be for, I’m going to go out on a limb here, for the best goal?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    It wasn't even Salah's best of the season, let alone FIFA's. If it absolutely has to be one of the top players - which clearly it doesn't - then Bale's effort in the ECL Final was evidently far superior. (There's also something somewhat awkward about Salah's Best Player nomination - or Courtois's gong for Best Goalkeeper - not tallying with inclusion in the World XI.)

But Jesus, what a dog's dinner of an awards show that was last night. Idris Elba was so far out of his depth it was embarrassing: not being able to read an autocue properly is one thing, but I don't think it unreasonable to expect the presenter of football's most prestigious ceremony to have at least heard of Ferenc Puskas, let alone be able to pronounce his name. (Ditto Pierluigi Collina, who nobly ignored his surname having also come out as something completely unrecognisable.) This, on top of a succession of poorly-scripted and delivered gags, only increased the already-acute sense of discomfort apparent among those gathered.

Don't know, give it back to Lineker next year?
    I went to last year’s inaugural awards on a work-related jolly. It was amusing as a cheesy, tacky night of silliness fueled by free champagne but, based on the twenty minutes I suffered at my son’s insistence last night, is gawdawful TV and Elba’s hosting has actually got worse.

At least all the FIFA XI turned up last year too!

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Wasn’t the Puskas award a public vote? I thought it must have been hijacked by Liverpool supporters as the goal in question was against Everton?

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I was watching it in Croatian. Seemed funnier.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied

But Jesus, what a dog's dinner of an awards show that was last night. Idris Elba was so far out of his depth it was embarrassing: not being able to read an autocue properly is one thing, but I don't think it unreasonable to expect the presenter of football's most prestigious ceremony to have at least heard of Ferenc Puskas, let alone be able to pronounce his name. (Ditto Pierluigi Collina, who nobly ignored his surname having also come out as something completely unrecognisable.) This, on top of a succession of poorly-scripted and delivered gags, only increased the already-acute sense of discomfort apparent among those gathered.

Don't know, give it back to Lineker next year?

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Well obviously football awards are as a general rule a load of bollocks, but the Puskas Award in particular should surely be an opportunity to throw a crumb of recognition and reward to some no-mark who managed to bang in a 30 yard bicycle kick for a minnow club like Napoli or Atletico Madrid rather than giving another piece of ugly silverware to the super-hyper-mega-elite.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    Difficult to tell from that vid, switching camera angles all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    started a topic Salah's goal? Really?

Salah's goal? Really?

Mo Salah's goal against Everton won FIFA's Puskas award. Good goal, but really the best of the season? I'm not convinced it was in the top three among the nominees.

https://youtu.be/aaI4GUXWIhE

Some FIFA "better not give it to Ronaldo/Real they win everything else" politics?
Working...
X