Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    I went to watch Southport start their Lancashire Junior Cup campaign against Holker Old Boys in Barrow this evening. It's fair to say that Southport haven't made the start to the season that they hoped for, but Holker's campaign has been woeful - they are bottom of North West Counties Division One North with 1 point and a goal difference of -42. They entered the game having lost two consecutive games by a nine goal margin.

The first half looked like another absolute thrashing was on the cards as Southport entered the break 5-1 up, having time after time been given acres of space in the final third. The second half was a bit different as Holker tightened up and Southport rather eased off. Holker got a second but otherwise there was no further scoring.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Either Wealdstone v Great Wakering Rovers in the FA Cup or Wembley v Biggleswade United. Depends on what mood I'm in.
    Sadly I wasn't up to making it for either game.

Leave a comment:

• ingoldale
    replied
    I saw Bristol Manor Farm 5-2 Basingstoke in the FA Cup second round qualifying. Att: 270

Entrance fee + programme £7 this was reduced as I had bought a train ticket to get there.

I was a fantastic game. Manor Farm opened the scoring from the first corner of the game in 5 minutes. Then Basingstoke dominated and got a much deserved equaliser. Farm went ahead with a brilliant goal from 30 yards before Stoke equalised on half time.

In the second half Farm battered their higher league opponents and the fourth goal was a cracking team goal to seal the deal. Hopefully they are drawn at home in the next round so I can return in 2 weeks time.
    Last edited by ingoldale; 24-09-2018, 08:49.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Bury 0-1 Carlisle

I like a trip to Gigg Lane, relatively local for me (well, an hour away feels local) and despite being refurbished into an all-seater it still feels like a proper ground.

First half was fairly equal I thought, Bury having a couple of clear chances but former Carlisle favourite Nicky Adams hitting the aluminium with the best of them. After HT the much maligned Richie Bennett put us in front, and a backs to the wall defensive effort coupled with some wasteful Bury finishing somehow saw us hold on for the win, despite Rotherham loanee Jerry Yates getting red carded near the end for calling the linesman something offensive.

I know Cumbrians have a reputation for being somewhat unsophisticated and culturally ignorant, but the folk behind me took this to new levels when they bought a Balti pie for kick off and had the following exchange:

"Oooh, it's amaaazing!"

"It's like a pie - and a curry at the same time!!"

"Amazing"

I moved seats for the second half.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    BBC report it as being a 'long-serving matchday volunteer'. It sounds like everyone handled the situation well, other than whoever decided to keep the music playing. It was clearly the right move to call the game off.

It finished Zilina 5 Senica 0 in the Slovak league. The first-half seemed to fly by, with both sides playing an open, passing game. Still, it was goal-less until the third minute of stoppage time, when Jakub Holubek curled in a direct free-kick. Senica then let themselves down rather at the start of the second period, conceding three goals in 17 minutes. Fortunately for them, Zilina eased up a bit after that, otherwise it could have been 7 or 8.

Viktor Pecovsky came on as a sub for Zilina, thus breaking independent Slovakia's top-flight league appearance record. It was his 405th outing and all have been for just two clubs, Banska Bystrica and Zilina. It would have been more had Bystrica not spent three seasons in the second tier (2000-2003) - Pecovsky had made his debut in 1999/2000, aged just 16. In September 2016, he was out injured for a year following a nasty challenge from a Zlate Moravce player. That incident also effectively finished his international career, of which the highlight was harrying Iniesta all over the pitch as Slovakia beat Spain 2-1 in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Casper
    replied
    It's sounding like it was a Burton fan that was taken ill today - no word on how he is doing though.

Even though it was happening at the other side of the pitch, we could all see that the game couldn't go ahead until it was sorted.

The music was so jarring though.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Didn't want to go too far today so decided to go and watch Vulcan play their first game at their new ground. The club started out as the works team of the Vulcan Foundry who built trains. The factory, after passing through several hands, closed in 2002 and the site is now being developed with housing. The football ground is part of this development and the club have ambitions of eventually returning to the North West Counties (they were members for the first two seasons). As it stands that still looks quite a way off but the site gives them a fair bit of room to expand if required. For now there is a building containing the changing rooms and also a tea bar.

About 120 people in attendance for this derby match against Garswood United. Sadly both sides largely cancelled each other out and it was one of those afternoons where it seemed clear that it was going to be goalless well before the end.

Leave a comment:

• wiblflibl
    replied
    Horsham 4-3 Heybridge Swifts, FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Having finally managed to see HFC do better than a dismal defeat for the first time in over a year last Saturday the Curse of the Flibls was well and truly put to rest as Horsham came back from an early 0-2 horror show to equalise, go 2-3 down then eventually triumph 4-3. Two wins on the bounce, they'll be dancing in the streets of Lancing for the next ten minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Sorry to hear about this, Billy. Do you know if it was a player, fan or member of staff? The music playing is a shocking misjudgment but was perhaps a misguided attempt to calm the fans. Any idea what the entertainment dept. was thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Billy Casper
    replied
    Barnsley p-p Burton Albion

The two captains were just about to shake hands when it became apparent that someone on the pitch in front of the Burton end was in a bad way.

The players and officials left the pitch while medics attended to the person After about 25 minutes an ambulance finally showed up, closely followed by an air ambulance a few mins later.
    At about twenty five to four it was finally called off.

Shamefully, our 'entertainment' department decided to play music thoughout it all - 'Sorry you're maybe dying mate, here's some Pet Shop Boys to cheer you up'.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Bury v Carlisle

Think we may be in the Cemetery End this time around - I was in there for my first ever visit to Bury, when it was still terraced, and we found ourselves 6-0 down at half time (we drew the second half). Hopefully this time will be less traumatic.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    FL’s DC v Brentford

Brentford fell below their high standards in the second half at Ipswich and have a poor record at Derby.

However, Derby seem to be struggling recently so I really have no idea what will happen.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Zilina vs Senica in the Slovak League on Saturday, but I'm lost for anything interesting to say about it.

Every season, Senica sign a bunch of players from South American countries on short-term deals, and they are usually just about good enough to help the club survive in the top-flight. Zilina have more of a long-term vision and keep bringing highly promising 18 year-old academy players into their first-team. Their aim this season will be top four or five.

Zilina won the corresponding fixture 7-1 last season. It should be a home win again, but not by that many.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    After last night Bohs are ready,willing and able to break up the "duopoly " at least in the cup,away to saint pats on Saturday,after 8 wins in a row Keith Long will be anxious to keep momentum going but I also imagine he'll rest a few so at the moment I'd take a point

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    I'll be in the 'wrong' end at Cork v Dundalk after the away team sold out their allocation in 15 minutes and Cork have declined to send up any extra. Dundalk are six points clear, with a game in hand and massive goal difference advantage, and only 5 games left so it looks inevitable we'll be reclaiming the title. Should be good though, the duopoly has all the rivalry and mutual animosity of a derby even if it's lacking in geographical proximity.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Oh good, I quite took to them. I went and sat with their fans once I realised I was effectively in the away end as the St Pauli lot were incredibly irritating.

I suspect I'd watch Rot-Weiss quite a lot if I lived there, mind. The restaurant/biergarten at the top of the stand was blissful. Do let me know if you ever come across a badge of theirs for my collection.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-09-2018, 12:05.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Have FSV turned it around following the friendly I saw against St Pauli? They looked pretty good there and were very unlucky not to get a draw at least.
    Two successive 2-1 victories would suggest so, leaving them improbably above Offenbach in the table, who'd hammered them 7-0 just before the friendly you saw.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Thanks but I've been there and seen the arch.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    You don't fancy joining me at Vale Farm, from where you can see the Wembley arch?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Have FSV turned it around following the friendly I saw against St Pauli? They looked pretty good there and were very unlucky not to get a draw at least.

My main event for the weekend is the Anthony Joshua v Alexander Potevkin fight for the WBA/WBO/IBF Heavyweight Championship of the World at Wembley Stadium on Saturday night. Planning to get an accessible game in prior, most likely to be Fisher v Lordswood in the Southern Counties East Premier as I've been meaning to get to their new ground since it opened in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Either Wealdstone v Great Wakering Rovers in the FA Cup or Wembley v Biggleswade United. Depends on what mood I'm in.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    started a topic Downing Red Bull - weekend matching Sept22/23

Downing Red Bull - weekend matching Sept22/23

A double delight - FSV Frankfurt at home to Elversberg on Saturday afternoon in the Regionalliga Südwest (one of five regional D4s), Eintracht against the lesser-loved Leipzig on Sunday evening.

Where will you be wasting your time and money this weekend?

Edit: not sure if that was my typo, or if I hit the letter limit and the thread title got squeezed up. As a spelling and grammar pedant, it hurts me deeply that this can not be changed.
Working...
X