Out of towners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of towners

This has probably been done before but prompted by some discussion elsewhere, is Boltons Macron Stadium the furthest regular home ground that isn't in the locality of the club that plays there? I make it 4.7 walking miles from the centre of Bolton.

For comparison, Old Trafford to Manchester Town Hall is 2.7 miles. The Madjeski Stadium to Reading railway station is 2.8 miles. And something like Villa Park to The Hawthorns is 3.9 miles.

Obviously clubs that have temporarily relocated don't count for these purposes (so Tottenhams 11.7 miles doesn't count).

“Villa Park to The Hawthorns”?

Comment

So to check, I'm putting the stadium name and the place name into Google and doing the walking distance?

Coventry to the Ricoh is 3.5 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        “Villa Park to The Hawthorns”?
        I was kind of playing around with Google Maps and wondered just how far it was between two clubs considered to be close rivals but not derby rivals or (sort of) in the same city. Emirates to London Stadium was another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          So to check, I'm putting the stadium name and the place name into Google and doing the walking distance?

Coventry to the Ricoh is 3.5 miles.
          Nothing more scientific than that. I picked somewhere that looked central enough (railway station, shopping centre, town hall).

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            I was kind of playing around with Google Maps and wondered just how far it was between two clubs considered to be close rivals but not derby rivals or (sort of) in the same city. Emirates to London Stadium was another one.

Ah, off the subject of the title then, OK. The people and supporters of West Bromwich would be offended to be told they’re from the same city as Villa, wouldn’t they?

Comment

Emirates Stadium to Woolwich Arsenal - 10.7 miles.

Comment

Have Grimsby Town got a new ground then? Every young football nerd knew their ground was in Cleethorpes.

A disappointing 2.8 km from Google maps' centre of Grimsby. From Grimsby to Cleethorpes being 4.8km according to them.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                  Emirates Stadium to Woolwich Arsenal - 10.7 miles.
                  *applause*

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                    Have Grimsby Town got a new ground then? Every young football nerd knew their ground was in Cleethorpes.

A disappointing 2.8 km from Google maps' centre of Grimsby. From Grimsby to Cleethorpes being 4.8km according to them.
                    Ha ha ha ha. We've been getting one for 40 years - in the meantime, Scunny have built a new one and recently put in for another new one, Boston are building a new one, Stamford have, Lincoln want to yet we remain in a crumbling BP

Comment

Thanks, Ingoldale. I went to Google in the end because I was ashamed that I couldn't remember Blundell Park.

I now know lots about your club. One thing was that you used to have a mascot called Harry The Haddock, who was actually a rainbow trout.

Comment

Tynecastle to Midlothian (Bonyrigg) = 7.7 miles
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 13-09-2018, 09:23.

Comment

Wimbledon to Kingsmeadow must be around 3 miles (although a damned sight closer than Milton Keynes).

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post

1.9 miles. None of your metric rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Wimbledon to Kingsmeadow must be around 3 miles (although a damned sight closer than Milton Keynes).
                              4.2 miles. Close (or not close) but no cigar.

Comment

The distance between Sheffield station and Sheffield FC's ground is 5.3 miles (5.5 miles to the City Hall)

Comment

Is Cleethorpes really a completely separate entity from Grimsby proper then. I'm slightly disppointed in how close it is to the town hall. For comparison Home Park to the council house is exactly the same walking distance and I'd consider Argyle to have an edge of city centre location. I will conceed those of you who've walked back through the Central Park may disagree.

Comment

Are these quoted distances all 'As the crow flies' or by road?

Comment

By Google Maps walking distance.

Comment

Oxford United's ground is 4.4 miles from Oxford station.

Comment

Someone else look up the distance from Falmer to Brighton, as I can't be bothered. I do remember that it's not even covered by the same council.

Comment

And whilst on South Coast clubs, and those from essentially one town that was originally two (Grmisby/Cleethorpes and Brighton/Hove being other examples), if I remember correctly Bournemouth's stadium is actually both in Boscombe, and not even in the centre of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                              And whilst on South Coast clubs, and those from essentially one town that was originally two (Grmisby/Cleethorpes and Brighton/Hove being other examples), if I remember correctly Bournemouth's stadium is actually both in Boscombe, and not even in the centre of that.
                                              Grimsby and Clee still are two towns. Just joined up.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                Someone else look up the distance from Falmer to Brighton, as I can't be bothered. I do remember that it's not even covered by the same council.
                                                3.7 miles from the station

Comment

Bournemouth\s Vitality Stadium is a mere 1.4 miles from Bournemouth station

Comment

Working...
                                                  X