Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of the Cup Winners Cup?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...box=1536655563

Interesting take on it.... the idea, I believe, is for a third tier of competition to further sideline the small nations. I guess if there continues to be a redistribution of revenue then it could be good for clubs from Estonia, Ireland, Malta, Armenia etc to have a competitive group phase competition to aim for, but it'd ultimately mean fewer and fewer opportunities for the small nations to compete in the Europa League, never mind the Champions League

Comment

If this is genuinely a third tier thing that will for example feature just the teams who've lost in playoffs for the Europa League, great. If it's going to feature a handful of those plus the teams finishing 6th-9th in the big 5 leagues then it's a joke. And if it's an attempt to sideline sides away from the CL champions path playoffs in the first place - denying them even the opportunity to "do an APOEL" - then it's worse still.
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 11-09-2018, 10:59.

Comment

I look forward to the bloated draw ceremony

Comment

Will the winners of this qualify for the next year's Europa League? Like a back door to the back door to the Champions League? A garden gate, if you will.

I can see this as being something for the League Cup Winners. And the Checkatrade Trophy Winners. Lincoln City in Europe? There's a thought.

Comment

It's been instigated by the big clubs, not the smaller ones, so is perhaps purely to ensure that Milan or Inter have a group phase after an off season where they couldn't even finish 6th. It could also give an incentive to the League Cup and to cups elsewhere, I would guess.

If it's going to have a champions path (purely as a fig leaf), then I assume that champions of Wales, ROI, etc are able to get three bites at the cherry, but they'd have to start the qualifiers very early. And can it really boost morale in those leagues to see the champions lose three ties in a row, against weaker opposition in each round?

But surely it will be known as the Failure of the Failures league? The CWC comparison is unfair on the latter because at least you had to win something, albeit a Cup that might not have much value to the big clubs in some nations.

Comment

To be clear I wasn't comparing it to the CWC and I assume it will bear absolutely no similarity to the CWC. It was just my first thought when I read the article and used it to hang the thread on

Comment

Given the excellent job that UEFA have done in formatting and then reformatting the Champions League, Europa League and now the Nations League, I'm giddy with excitement so see what bollocks format they come up with for this new trophy.

Comment

Working...
                X