Multiple times in the away end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple times in the away end

I'm joking that I'm a Newport County anti-fan because on Tuesday I'm meeting a Notts County supporting mate and going in the away end at Rodney Parade. It will be the 4th different visiting team I'll have watched from the away end. (The others are Shrewsbury, QPR and Torquay.) I've never been in the home end at Rodney Parade.

Wondering what the OTF record is for most away teams "supported" at the same ground. Pretty sure someone can beat 4. (Stewarding doesn't count)

Doesn't quite beat your four, but I've been supporting/with the away fans for three different teams at Motherwell (Hibs, Raith Rovers and Derry City). However, across the matches concerned I watched at least half a game from all four stands - the usual two-tiered away end with Hibs (both top and bottom tiers on different occasions), the Raith fans were put in a couple of blocks of the Main Stand, then for the Derry game a number of Derry fans (including my dad and I) started in the smaller side stand but then were allowed to move at half-time to the usual home end stand, which that night was designated as the main away fans' section. Also, the Derry game was against Gretna in the UEFA Cup, so I've seen two different 'home' teams there too. I've also been in the home end with the 'Well fans for another UEFA Cup game! All in all it's fair to say for someone who isn't a Motherwell fan (or even Scottish) I've definitely had the full Fir Park experience - including being offered a stabbing on the way back to the train station.

Possibly one for it's own thread, but after Fir Park the only other grounds at which I've watched games from all four stands are the KCOM in Hull, and, errr, the San Siro.

Comment

I think my best is 3 - I've supported Ipswich, Orient and Shrewsbury from the away end at Southend.

Comment

Selhurst Park springs immediately to mind for something like this as I've been there on numerous occasions. So I've checked the records and I've been in the away 'end' there for Middlesbrough, Ipswich Town, Cheltenham Town, Hereford United and Manchester United. The first for games against Crystal Palace, Wimbledon and Charlton, the Cheltenham game was against Palace, and the others against Wimbledon. So five. This also includes all four sides of the ground.
        Last edited by Capybara; 17-08-2018, 09:19.

Comment

Another potentially vintage thread, well done PT.

My wife and her family are all Shamrock Rovers fans (I'm Dundalk) so I've been to most of the grounds in Ireland as an away fan with both Dundalk and Rovers. I've also visiting Dalymount with a Derry supporting friend- and visited the four sides of Dalymount as an away fan. Don't think I can get past 3 though.

I believe there was a 'thing' where a number of students at Trondheim university used to go to the away end each week to support whoever was playing Rosenborg, back in the day when RBK were winning everything in sight.

Comment

I've been in the away end at Scunthorpe to cheer on Doncaster Rovers, Cardiff City and Maidstone United in the past. I was only around 7 or 8 years old for the latter mind, but do remember getting clapped into the away end by the smattering other Maidstone fans who were present as so few of them had made the journey up.

Comment

Shouldn’t this be more accurately described as “Multiple teams in the away end” or similar?

I think Selhurst will be be my highest number too but I’m going to have to go away and work out how many different teams it’s for.

Comment

Supported Albion, Chester City and Telford United from the away end at Stoke's Victoria Ground. Even stood in the Boothen End there on occasion, and politely applauded Stoke's efforts.

Following on from what seand says about Rosenborg, in about 1997, a friend and I were in the away end at Rockingham Road, Kettering, supporting Telford. There was a Scotsman* there who claimed to follow Corby Town, the Poppies' near neighbours. He said he hated Kettering and went in the away end there whenever he could. Certainly no'one backed Telford with more passion that day than him.

*I guess he was descended from those Scots who came down to Corby in the 50s to work in the steel industry.

Comment

Wolves (1980 LC) Blackburn (does that count if I am a Blackburn fan?), Real Sociedad (friendly so maybe not in the spirit of things), Halifax Town (1987-1990), Accy Stanley (2016), Manchester City (1991 FAC) and Preston (a good few times in the 1990's)

I've supported them all at Turf Moor. Sorry, Snake.

Comment

I've done the away end at our ground four times - Bristol Rovers and Sheffield Wednesday with mates who were down for the weekend so just wanted to watch with them. Torquay as the ground was being redeveloped and that was the only way to get tickets and Walsall as the gate between the ends had been left open so we just wandered in to see what the view was like. I was 12.

Comment

Trying to think whether it's Wednesday or United

Hillsborough

- Blunts
                      - Colchester
                      - Brighton

BDBL

- Wendies
                      - Liverpool
                      - 'Ull
                      - Worcester

and I'm sure there's one or two others for each of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                        Supported Albion, Chester City and Telford United from the away end at Stoke's Victoria Ground. Even stood in the Boothen End there on occasion, and politely applauded Stoke's efforts.

Following on from what seand says about Rosenborg, in about 1997, a friend and I were in the away end at Rockingham Road, Kettering, supporting Telford. There was a Scotsman* there who claimed to follow Corby Town, the Poppies' near neighbours. He said he hated Kettering and went in the away end there whenever he could. Certainly no'one backed Telford with more passion that day than him.

*I guess he was descended from those Scots who came down to Corby in the 50s to work in the steel industry.
                        Similarly I remember that a 'lively' contingent from Corby turned out for Runcorn's FA Trophy semi-final with Kettering back in 1986. Strictly speaking they weren't in the away end; their main contribution to the afternoon's entertainment being ripping up seats from the main stand and launching them at the home support.

Comment

I've watched Sunderland, Stoke and Leicester from the away end at the Abbey Stadium. And watched Sunderland from the home end as well. Cambridge won when I was nominally supporting Sunderland (I was there with my uncle, who is a fan), Sunderland won 7-0 when I was definitely supporting Cambridge. I am cursed.

I think the next most is Griffin Park, where I've been in the away end to watch both Leicester and Stoke.

Comment

Despite arriving in Newcastle in 88 quite well disposed towards the ‘sleeping giants’ I became heartily sick of living in a one-party state by the early 90s and have supported Wolves, Forest, Sunderland, Barnsley and (more genuinely, as they were my 1st regular haunt/love above Highland League level) Gladbach at St James.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                              Selhurst Park springs immediately to mind for something like this as I've been there on numerous occasions. So I've checked the records and I've been in the away 'end' there for Middlesbrough, Ipswich Town, Cheltenham Town, Hereford United and Manchester United. The first for games against Crystal Palace, Wimbledon and Charlton, the Cheltenham game was against Palace, and the others against Wimbledon. So five. This also includes all four sides of the ground.
                              That Palace-Cheltenham game finished 8-0 if I remember rightly

Comment

7-0, says the internet.

Comment

No more than two for me, but a few variations on the theme.

I've been in the away end at Anfield with Palace and Carlisle, and all four sides as a plazzy scouser.

I've been in the away end at Saltergate, St.Mary's, the Walkers bowl/King Power, Stadium of light (entertainment), Turf Moor and the Liberty stadium with both Carlisle and Liverpool. I've been in various away ends at Swindon supporting both Carlisle and Tranmere.

I've been in the away end at Stoke's old ground supporting Sunderland, the away end of the new ground supporting Liverpool, and the home end supporting Carlisle (when it wasn't really the home end but a neutral venue).

I've been in three sides of Prenton Park as a Carlisle fan and all four moonlighting as a Tranmere supporter.

I've been in three sides of Rochdale as a Carlisle fan and the fourth supporting Whitehaven rugby league against Hornets.

Comment

Originally posted by duncanmckenziedoughnuts View Post
                                    Wolves (1980 LC) Blackburn (does that count if I am a Blackburn fan?), Real Sociedad (friendly so maybe not in the spirit of things), Halifax Town (1987-1990), Accy Stanley (2016), Manchester City (1991 FAC) and Preston (a good few times in the 1990's)

I've supported them all at Turf Moor. Sorry, Snake.
                                    No worries. I look on it as helping us get to where we are today.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                      7-0, says the internet.
                                      Was only 1-0 at half-time and we didn't look too bad. Dougie Freedman cheekily scored with his knee after rounding our keeper (as in the ball was on the ground and he knelt down to hit the ball with his knee over the line).

I remember as we left the ground to get on the long coach journey back to Cheltenham my late uncle turns to me and says "it could be worse, it could be raining". As we pulled into Whaddon Road car park ready to walk back home, it starts tipping it down. Summed the night up that did.

Keeping with the thread, I've only supported an away team once and that was at Meadow Park, Gloucester in 2004. Cheltenham were away at Carlisle and having nothing better to do myself and a few friends went over to watch Gloucester City's last game of the season against Ilkeston Town. We went to cheer on Gloucester who needed to win and hope Redditch and Cirencester drew to have a chance of winning the Southern League Western Division and be promoted to the new Conference regional division. After 45 mins of anti-Cheltenham songs, I found myself singing with the Ilkeston fans for the whole of the second half as they beat City 1-0.

I was once in the away end at White Hart Lane, but supporting Spurs. A lot of my family are Blackburn Rovers fans so got us tickets to the game. Was not great when Chris Samba scored a last minute winner.

Comment

I've been in the away end with three different teams at Elland Road – Plymouth in 89-90 (because the rest of the ground was full), Leicester in the same season (with some uni friends who supported them, and cos the rest of the ground was full), and Orient three times.

Done the away end at Upton Park with Orient and, for the hell of it, Sunderland.

Comment

And the away end at White Hart Lane with Orient, Celtic, Southampton and Wales (for a friendly with Brazil c2006, at which Bored and Ray de Galles may have been among us)

Comment

Ah yes, that’s one gives me at least three teams watched from the away end at WHL: Wales, Cardiff and Arsenal. For the latter, I was right in front of Danny Rose’s rocket that won their first derby in ages (I think) and announced him at Spurs. Couldn’t really admire it openly in front of the Arsenal support though, obvs.

Have also watched at least Cardiff, Liverpool & Villa at Selhurst, Wimbledon, Wolves & Cardiff at Millwall and Cardiff, QPR & Man U at Chelsea but the problem with all these grounds is that if you live in London and have long had a habit of toddling along to random games with mates or on a free night then it is genuinely hard to recall who you’ve seen from what end over the decades.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-08-2018, 19:27.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                              And the away end at White Hart Lane with Orient, Celtic, Southampton and Wales (for a friendly with Brazil c2006, at which Bored and Ray de Galles may have been among us)
                                              No, never done White Hart Lane, oddly.

Comment

I’m now going off on a tangent of most different sports seen in the same same stadium. Rugby, Football & Speedway at the Millennium and Athletics, Rugby & Football at the London Olympic Stadium are current leaders,

Comment

I can't get much out of that, though I did once try to tot up the towns and cities I've seen the most different sports in: Cheltenham (cricket, football, horse racing); Leeds (football, cricket, rugby league); London (football, cricket, athletics, tennis, the Tour de France), but there's no way I could challenge RdG here either.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X