• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game 39 threat comes to Spain

Sigh.

Horrible news.

Comment

It was always going to be Spain that did this first.

The Federation and League are notoriously inept, insensitive and rapacious.

Comment

Some points being made on Twitter about people enjoying going to NFL games at Wembley and therefore feeling hypocritical about opposing football matches being played in other territories.

Also some people making points that it might be augering for a Euro league.

Given that most people watch Premier League games on TV does it really matter where it's played? Same goes for Champions League games.

Comment

Which teams will play the match(es)? It won't be Barcelona v Real Madrid but surely that's the match that would fill a big stadium, whereas Atletico v Villareal presumably would not.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-08-2018, 21:12.

Comment

The most likely outcome is that la Liga bribes a Leganes, Eibar or Alaves to give up one of their home matches against the top three for a massive payday at a ground at least four times the size of their own.

Comment

Reaction in the local Valencia press this morning is almost completely hostile, especially from fan groups who have paid for their season tickets and expect to be able to see a full compliment of matches.

Comment

The Argentine FA ought to be feeling lucky. Next time they come out with something completely pencils-up-nose ridiculous, people won't be able to go, 'no European league would seriously consider this sort of shit.'

It is of course a complete coincidence that the head of La Liga spent quite a bit of time advising the AFA over the setup of the new Argentine Superliga.

Comment

It strikes me that, when NFL games are discussed, the impact on domestic sports, and the wider normalisation of sports tourism, is never discussed. Why is that? Bad journalism?

Comment

I don't really follow Spanish football at all but looking at the first round of La Liga matches, I've only just realised that all ten matches are played separately, spread out from Friday evening to Monday late. Has that been going on for a long time? Whereas Italy, like England, has one kickoff time for at least half of the top-flight games (Sunday evening in Italy's case, Saturday afternoon in England) with four or five matches moved to other slots.
                    Last edited by Kevin S; 17-08-2018, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                      I don't really follow Spanish football at all but looking at the first round of La Liga matches, I've only just realised that all ten matches are played separately, spread out from Friday evening to Monday late. Has that been going on for a long time? Whereas Italy, like England, has one kickoff time for at least half of the top-flight games (Sunday evening in Italy's case, Saturday afternoon in England) with four or five matches moved to other slots.
                      This has indeed been going on for a few years

The traditional kick off times used to be at 5 o'clock on a Sunday with a game on Saturday evening and one later on the Sunday. Every Spanish league game is shown on live TV usually on pay- per-view channels.

On edit: there also used to be a game on Canal Plus on Sunday at midday which I seem to remember was open to all. And of course there was the famous occasion when Barcelona kicked off a match against Sevilla at 12.05 at night.
                      Last edited by Sporting; 17-08-2018, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                        It strikes me that, when NFL games are discussed, the impact on domestic sports, and the wider normalisation of sports tourism, is never discussed. Why is that? Bad journalism?
                        Good question. Next year there is going to be a 3 game series of Major League Baseball in London. (Admittedly they play 162 regular games so it's not a great loss) There's talk of having three NFL games at Wembley.

I'd like to go to either of them even though that's depriving fans in those cities of home games.

I feel ambivalent about Premier League games being played abroad. It isn't really going to affect the team I follow. And if Shrewsbury ever got to the Premier League and had to play Man City in China, well, why not have a holiday in China at the same time. It would be a fun trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          The most likely outcome is that la Liga bribes a Leganes, Eibar or Alaves to give up one of their home matches against the top three for a massive payday at a ground at least four times the size of their own.
                          That model works in college football which is similar to La Liga in the haves vs. have-nots set-up. Everyone wins except the fans of the smaller team who lose a home game, which especially sucks if they're season ticket holders because they lose a ticket that they probably could have flipped for a nice profit.

Comment

That’s one of the reasons why the targeted clubs are those with 10,000 or fewer season ticket holders, making it easier for them to be compensated (something La Liga has said will happen).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              That’s one of the reasons why the targeted clubs are those with 10,000 or fewer season ticket holders, making it easier for them to be compensated (something La Liga has said will happen).
                              That's decent of them, I suppose.

When shit like this happens, I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for fans of Real Madrid etc. Those clubs dominate their league and the Champions League largely because they are "global brands" that rake in massive revenues from non-local sources and they don't have to share it.

If fans want a club or a league that cares primarily about its local fans, then they should support one. There are plenty of them around and they'd be happy to sell some more tickets. But if they want to be glory-hunters, then they have to accept the cost of that "glory."

It is often said that at some point in the future the biggest 20 or so clubs in Europe will break away from their domestic leagues and form an NFL-like European Superleague of some kind. (For example, in the early days of MLS, several transatlantic pundits said, as I recall, that we're more likely to see pro/rel disappear from Europe, at least at the highest level, than we are to ever see it in the US and Canada). I understand why a lot of fans and players might not want that, but given the money-making potential of something like that, I don't understand what is stopping it from happening.

Comment

Tbh even on my most "Against Modern Football" days the thought of the "Big 6" fucking off to a European league makes me shrug. I'd prefer that than fucking B teams in the lower divisions.

Comment

Looks like the players aren't happy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45269974

That'd be an interesting discussion:

AFE representative: "Withdraw the game 39 proposal or you have to mark Sergio Ramos at a corner kick"
                                  La Liga Blazer: <whimpering> "Okay, okay, we'll do it! Have mercy!"

Comment

There are so many things wrong with the whole idea that I don't know where to start.

I've heard that one idea to compensate the fans of the smaller club missing out on a home game against Madrid or Barça is to give them tickets to the game in the USA, wherever that might take place. Well yeah, if only a fraction of the season ticket holders of Eibar or Leganes or Huesca took up the offer, what are the logistics of this? Fly them out by Ryanair lol?! Get them US visas in a matter of no time and then someone accommodate them after the match which would certainly be an evening affair?

Sid Lowe on The Guardian Football Weekly podcast on Monday said that the scheme was already a corruption of the whole league system, in that any match involving the big two in the States would be certain to have overwhelming fan support for one of those two. Granted, it's hard enough for a small team to get a result against Madrid or Barcelona even when playing at their real home ground, but this would make the task even harder.

Also, how about those local businesses who would be directly affected by such a home game being transferred across the Atlantic? Local bars and restaurants, hotels, street vendors, casual matchday labour, etc.? How to compensate them?

Comment

I don't want to be on the side of wrongness here but I don't think that last paragraph holds. For years those businesses will have benefitted from customers created by football. Why does football owe them anything?

Comment

You have a point but why should one city/town suffer while others get to keep their home games? Granted, though, it's not the best argument against the whole scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Good question. Next year there is going to be a 3 game series of Major League Baseball in London. (Admittedly they play 162 regular games so it's not a great loss) There's talk of having three NFL games at Wembley.
                                          Wembley first had had three NFL games in 2014 and has often had that number since. Twickenham took one of the three in 2016 and the stadia had two games each last year. Wembley is back to three this year as WHL isn't ready to host the one it was scheduled to and there has been talk of five games in the future split over the three stadia. Mexico City's also had a game for the last three years.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-08-2018, 16:42.

Comment

Another minor point of pedantry, the Spanish proposal is not actually for a "39th game" is it?

Comment

Correct

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                Wembley first had had three NFL games in 2014 and has often had that number since. Twickenham took one of the three in 2016 and the stadia had two games each last year. Wembley is back to three this year as WHL isn't ready to host the one it was scheduled to and there has been talk of five games in the future split over the three stadia. Mexico City's also had a game for the last three years.
                                                Yet again I'm not keeping up with "progress"

Comment

There have also been regular season NBA games on in London.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X