No announcement yet.

Kop on the left, then on the right: camera positions at Anfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steep hill/steep terrace is the connection, of course, plus the timing. Recognising a defeat is odd though, but perhaps that wasn't the way it was seen at the time.

Comment

Here's another FB post on the subject which may be of interest:

"In answer to the question of when the TV camera vantage points changed from the Kemlyn Road stand to the Main stand, I think I can answer that question.

Prior to 1964 practically all film shot at Anfield was from the half way line and normally up against the wall that separated the Paddock and the Main stand.Then in 1964 and the birth of Match of the Day, a TV gantry was built under the Kemlyn Road roof and was then used continuously by all the TV companies until 1971.

The very last match that Granada-ITV filmed from there was the 2-2 game with Blackpool on January 9th 1971 and shot in black and white.(I've included a film shot of Heighway scoring in the Anny Road end.) The last time BBC used the Kemlyn gantry was for the FA cup tie with Southampton on February13th 1971 when Lawler scored the only goal in the Kop end and was shot in colour.

After the completion of the new Main stand roof,a new TV gantry was installed and was first used on the night of March 10th when Alun Evans scored a hat trick against Bayern Munich.It was also the night when the new lights installed on the main stand roof and above the Kemlyn road roof were used for the first time. These were quite an innovation at the time and so superior to the corner floodlights that had been used in the past.They were so powerful by the standards of the time that the photographers no longer had to use flash photography and they were loved by the TV companies now shooting all in colour."

Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1880...?ref=bookmarks
      Last edited by Sporting; 07-02-2019, 21:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        Steep hill/steep terrace is the connection, of course, plus the timing. Recognising a defeat is odd though, but perhaps that wasn't the way it was seen at the time.
        it was a disaster that shook the empire. 20,000 british regulars and artillery vs 8000 boers. and a lot less artillery. Professional soldiers vs farmers. It's like naming a stand at lords cricket ground after the obliteration of the cairo gang on bloody sunday.

Comment

What I meant was not that it wasn't a bloody defeat, which it was, but that naming parts of football grounds after it was more to do with a remembrance of the British & Irish lives lost or some similar sentiment.

Comment

Luton v Middlesbrough has the cameras on the opposite side of Kenilworth Road to usual.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
              Luton v Middlesbrough has the cameras on the opposite side of Kenilworth Road to usual.
              The club were pretty much forced by Sky & the EFL to build a huge camera gantry the length of the ‘executive’ boxes that the cameras normally face - I thought the old ground looked great from the new angle and certainly added to the atmosphere on tv.

The programme notes said a lot on how the board feel about being forced into this and other changes though.

"However, as a newcomer entering this new world as a rising star after winning our league below, we have needed to spend over £1m on stadium facilities – to include goal-line technology, new television camera positions, new press areas, new dugouts, not including the numerous commercial and safety enhancements we’ve made – all in order to be compliant to provide armchair viewers a comfortable platform to watch tonight’s game.”

Comment

I agree that the new angle made the ground look better. My only slight complaint is that it makes it more difficult to see how many away fans have travelled, which is something that I always look out for.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                  I agree that the new angle made the ground look better. My only slight complaint is that it makes it more difficult to see how many away fans have travelled, which is something that I always look out for.
                  That’ll be fairly straight forward at Luton this year, there will be 1000 away fans at every game as that’s the full allocation anyone will get with all home areas sold out and I would imagine everyone in the league bar maybe Wigan will fill it.

Comment

Working...
                  X