Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Artist
    replied
    There's a remarkable bit in that video Nesta posts, starting at 8:29 – a fleet-footed Harry Redknapp crosses for Martin Peters to flick home one goal for West Ham, immediately followed by the next clip where he picks up a ball forward from Bobby Moore, again dances down the right wing and this time finds Geoff Hurst in the six-yard box to score. I'd forgotten 'Arry played for the Hammers alongside all the World Cup greats.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Ooh, Norwich do look weird in green socks.

...for about half a minute, then it gradually becomes surprisingly 'normal' as the brain adjusts. Interesting!
    If they had yellow fold-over tops, I think I'd probably accept them more readily. We've had hooped before, haven't we?

Edit - in fact the new kit's socks are nearly proper hoops.

Last edited by Kevin S; 16-08-2018, 09:19.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by N est à? View Post
    Actually, I might have misremembered that, seems to be from a bit earlier, early-mid sixties. Anyway, at about 5 minutes on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5UL8JRm4M&t=653s
    Ah, great find, thanks! Struggling to see whether the tunnel is on the long side opposite (meaning the gantry is between the south stand and river end) or if the tunnel is on the right hand side, meaning the gantry is where the snake pit now is. I think it's the former.

Leave a comment:

• wittoner
    replied
    You're right about Maine Road Sporting. The legendary Kippax was opposite the Main Stand and was split with away supporters. If memory serves it was City fans behind both goals for all but the biggest games.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Ooh, Norwich do look weird in green socks.

...for about half a minute, then it gradually becomes surprisingly 'normal' as the brain adjusts. Interesting!

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    VA, I think that the "reverse angle" rules reflect both motivations, as do the "Media Matter" and "Exploitation of Commercial Rights" regulations in general.
    Never said thanks for this reply, sorry ursus – it is more or less as I expected, I have to say.
    Those regulations are remarkably detailed (and longer than those regarding the conduct of the competition itself) and worth a perusal, if only to understand just how much of the televised "match day experience" is mandated by UEFA acting at the behest of its "rights holders" and other commercial "partners".
    Sigh. Why am I not taken aback even in the slightest by this...?

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    This is from 1970-71 and it's still on the South stand...

Leave a comment:

• N est à?
    replied
    Actually, I might have misremembered that, seems to be from a bit earlier, early-mid sixties. Anyway, at about 5 minutes on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5UL8JRm4M&t=653s

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    That pic reminds me of when Cheltenham played West Brom in the League Cup in 2006. My then girlfriend and her dad were Baggies fans and went because of the cheap tickets, naturally I was in with the Cheltenham fans. It just so happened we were in the same end.

We noticed this so made our way over to chat to each other at half-time and the stewards actually wouldn't let us get near each other. Even after pointing out that she was my girlfriend, they were having none of it, so we had to resort back to texting despite being yards from each other.

Got to love jobsworths.

Leave a comment:

• N est à?
    replied
    Who the hell cares whether away fans are visible from the main camera gantry?

Kev S, I remember seeing some footage on youtube of a norwich game from circa 1970, and the camera gantry was behind the goal (open end) in the corner.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Tangentially to the subject of where away fans are located, I seem to remember that there used to be a couple of clubs whose main singing/chanting supporters were not in the traditional behind the goal zone, but alongside the long edge of the pitch. I think Man City at Maine Road were one of these clubs, and maybe Burnley as well, though I'm much less sure on this one.
    Nope, you are correct. The Longside was the main chanting area until its demolition, and the home fans took up just over half of the long edge of the pitch. Then a small no mans land, then the away support.

With the rebuilding of the Longside into the seated James Hargreaves Stand, away fans were given the Cricket Field Stand as - with typical lack of foresight and costcutting - the JH and Jimmy McIlroy stands were not built with possible segregation in mind. This meant that the away fans were housed in the loudest stand on top of their own teams dressing room. A couple of years ago, the club finally decided to split the CFS and allow home fans back in there. There is a temporary no mans land separating the two sets of supporters, but that can be moved as requirements dictate. (Leading to this great photo from the other week.)

https://twitter.com/clivelawrence1/status/1025152115440865280

The CFS has become the main singing area now. There used to be a singing block in the JH Lower, but it attracted too many Coke bottle throwing twats and people got sick of them.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Just like Barcelona and Real Madrid
    Where away fans, as in most of Spain, are relatively rare in any case.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Tangentially to the subject of where away fans are located, I seem to remember that there used to be a couple of clubs whose main singing/chanting supporters were not in the traditional behind the goal zone, but alongside the long edge of the pitch. I think Man City at Maine Road were one of these clubs, and maybe Burnley as well, though I'm much less sure on this one.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Norwich put the away fans on one edge of the stand from which the camera shoots so you don't often see them, unless their manager them to fuck off when they score or something. They did, I think, briefly have one tier of an end but there was a lot of mither as a result any they were moved back to the south stand. The way to resolve it would be to replace the tiny City stand and put the camera that side. Which would reverse the angle after 50-odd years.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    It's an interesting theory. From memory, in the Premier League alone you have the following teams with away fans completely out of view (not visible from main camera at all):

Bournemouth
    Cardiff
    Crystal Palace
    Everton
    Manchester United
    Newcastle
    West Ham

Chelsea and Liverpool have away fans placed in the bottom left corner and only just about visible at times.

Wolves place away fans directly opposite the main camera angle, and all the others simply have away fans behind the goal in clear view.

I don't know where away fans will be in Spurs new stadium in relation to the main camera.

More than happy to be corrected on these by the way.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    I have a long-standing conspiracy theory: when grounds get expanded / redeveloped, the cameras are located in a position that gives minimal "screen time" to away supporters. They seem well hidden at Newcastle and Man Utd, for example.

Like all conspiracy theories, evidence to contradict this is not needed. But further examples of its truth will be welcome.
    Well, the league introduced a ruling to make away fans more visible for which Newcastle got an exemption on the grounds that the proposed pitchside location would make confrontation and conflict more likely on peoples' way in and out of the stadium. Sounds like nonsense to me, like, though I don't think I've seen around the back of the Leazes End since they built it to its present size.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Yes, this one:
    https://youtu.be/yWuAJn0KJdY

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Carrow Road looks weirdly the same as in a video of a match against Everton in 1972, with the camera facing the tunnel, despite all four sides having been rebuilt since then. City in green socks, strangely.
    Is there a video you're referring to here Kev?

The green socks seem to have been by no means unique in club history, according to Historical Football Kits – see also 1910-11, 1919-20 and 1936-38 (back when they were a change from black socks), or more pertinently 1946-47, 1950-52 and 1954-57. 1972-73 appears to have been the last time they were anything but yellow, though.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Carrow Road looks weirdly the same as in a video of a match against Everton in 1972, with the camera facing the tunnel, despite all four sides having been rebuilt since then. City in green socks, strangely.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 15-08-2018, 23:20.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Just like Barcelona and Real Madrid

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    The away supporters are well hidden at Newcastle. Top tier off in one corner.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    I have a long-standing conspiracy theory: when grounds get expanded / redeveloped, the cameras are located in a position that gives minimal "screen time" to away supporters. They seem well hidden at Newcastle and Man Utd, for example.

Like all conspiracy theories, evidence to contradict this is not needed. But further examples of its truth will be welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Gerontophile
    replied
    Concurring with everyone else, welcome Sporting, and an excellent starter for 10 (thousand, with that sort of question).

I think Celtic have, but have tweeted Celtic to find out for certain, as Google knows nowt about this.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    I'm about to leave the house, which is annoying as now I am thinking about when the gantry was introduced, all of the earliest football footage of course being filmed from the touchline, or behind one of the goals, as per this footage of Liverpool vs. Everton in 1902. It's remarkable on all the Mitchell and Kenyon (etc.) clips, how little of anything you can make out. I presume that, aside from different expectations, people had a different way of watching.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    My god, what a first post.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    I remember really enjoying the overhead wire shots the first time I noticed them being used in a big tournament (Euro 2012?), thinking that it remedies a lot of what you miss watching on television in terms of the shape of the game. I'm a big fan. Give me that* and an option to turn off the commentary, and I might even consider actually paying money to watch football on television.

* edit: I appreciate that this would probably be unmanageable at the vast majority of grounds, allow a man his dreams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X