X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwdd27
    replied
    Originally posted by RobW View Post
    The Lincolnshire Echo, in classic 'Phil Space' mode, point out that Danny Cowley, appointed in May 2016, is now the 17th longest serving manager in the top four English leagues.
    I'm not sure non-league should count, Grimsby tried pulling that with Paul Hurst before he moved on to better, and then worse things.
    There should be an asterisk there for sure.

Hurst is favourite for the Southend job, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    The Lincolnshire Echo, in classic 'Phil Space' mode, point out that Danny Cowley, appointed in May 2016, is now the 17th longest serving manager in the top four English leagues.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    The median length of current tenure for an English Football League manager is well under a year again - 308 days, with Pellegrini and Emery nos. 46 and 47.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I tend to bump into him in my local Waitrose from time to time.

I can't promise you that I'll run that suggestion past him when our paths next cross.

Leave a comment:

• HORN
    replied
    Is it my imagination or do Powell’s managerial spells all broadly follow the same path?

New job bounce
    mediocrity
    Stinking run then fired.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Chris Powell isn't too nice to be sacked by Southend.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-to-league-two

Leave a comment:

• HORN
    replied
    Finally, indeed! I’d begun to wonder if he was unsackable.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Yeovil have finally sacked Darren Way. Definitely a last throw of the dice there to maintain their Football League status.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Scunthorpe have parted company with Stuart McCall, after recent results saw them enthusiastically dropped into the massively multiplayer Div 3 relegation dogfight.

An odd tenure, started out very bad, had a good spell in January, manager of the month no less, then back to shit.

Andy Dawson in charge until the end of the season, just like last year

Leave a comment:

• HORN
    replied
    Originally posted by RobW View Post
    Oldham owner makes contrary statement https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/new...lub-statement/
    Three managers - oops, no - I meant sources close to their last three managers all broadly describe the chairman as an interfering git. How can they all have got it so wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Resigning by text is classy.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Oldham owner makes contrary statement https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/new...lub-statement/

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Obviously all this talk about interference from the owner is just smokescreen. He was outdone by the tactical brilliance of the Cowleys and couldn't handle the humiliation...

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    That didn't last long, did it...

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Talksport isn't known as a bastion of wokeness, but Adrian Durham called out the West Brom decision as racism, given how long their two previous managers were given to preside over decline.
    Eh! Moore was in charge for, er, more games than three out of four of the previous permanent managers, with only Pulis, who had got them as high as a 10th-placed Premier League finish, lasting longer.

That's not to say that I necessarily agree with the decision. It's just not an outlier that suggests racial bias was at play.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    That's just aural clickbait. The West Brom board didn't care until the PL cheques started slipping away. Chucking Moore under the bus at the first sign of not getting promoted seems more panic than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Talksport isn't known as a bastion of wokeness, but Adrian Durham called out the West Brom decision as racism, given how long their two previous managers were given to preside over decline.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    I'm so pissed off by this decision. IS THERE NO LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL?? For fuck's sake, we were probably still going to make the play offs with him so why the fuck sack him now? Man Utd fans take note - it's never a good idea to employ a club hero as your manager. There's no denying that we have been totally shit for the longest time though, essentially since Leicester recalled Harvey Barnes in early January but I was really hoping the club would continue to back him through this poor run.

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Be careful what you wish for.
    I hate the uncertainty when your team are managerless. I'm scared to even check who is in the running for the job. It's always the most uninspiring list. However, at least I can say with some certainty that Alan Pardew won't be on it.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    I thought this was a joke, Moore turned a club ruined by Pardew around and stopped what could have been a slide into a second relegation battle into a side that was challenging for promotion. Look at the two other teams that went down, Stoke have already sacked their manager and Potter has worked miracles at Swansea after a fire sale in both windows. Be careful what you wish for.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    It's not as daft a decision as it might seem. They haven't been playing well for weeks, pretty much since Barnes went back to Leicester. Presumably the board feels now that automatic has gone and they don't have any trust in him to make it through the play offs successfully. And, as we say time and again on here, if they don't go back up this first year since relegation then all their remaining good players will go and they might be down a while.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Wankers. A stupid knee-jerk decision. They probably aren't likely to catch the top two, but with the teams below them all being inconsistent as well they look pretty good for the play-offs, so I really can't see what positive effect can come from this.
    Except it's probably not knee-jerk, is it? It has to be some kind of plan, however crazy.

He would have been sacked if they'd made the play-offs and failed, or got promoted and been 16th in October. It feels like a case of needing an excuse to bring in somebody else.

Time and again managers are kept on just because they are in situ, and the manager (understandably) doesn't walk away and the board is not honest enough to tell the fans a popular guy was only ever short-term. So they wait (hope?) for failure, which this really wasn't anyway.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Jesus Christ. I can only imagine what Ian is saying.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Wankers. A stupid knee-jerk decision. They probably aren't likely to catch the top two, but with the teams below them all being inconsistent as well they look pretty good for the play-offs, so I really can't see what positive effect can come from this.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Not even sacked in the Moore-ning. Immediately after the game. Ouch.

So, if WBA had managed to nick a winner, would Moore still be there? Did the decision-maker(s) have their plan ready, or did they rush through a full performance review in 5 minutes after the final whistle?

But yeah, fuck 'em.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    West Brom - I wish you nothing but ill fortune.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X