Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slackster
    replied
    Oof. A 3-0 Orient home defeat to promotion rivals Salford was a right party pooper. The home stands were sold out and the Os put in a really poor performance across the pitch. 2 early crosses saw 2 goals for the visitors. After that they were happy to sit back and Orient had no joy trying to break their defence down. Salford had one meaningful attack in the 2nd half and another cross resulted in another headed goal. Our defence and keeper wont be too keen to watch this game back.

Wrexham lost 1-0 at home to Dover. Maybe not as unexpected as it sounds: the match report was almost a carbon copy of our recent visit to The Crabble. Very scrappy, with the Dover defence standing firm and repelling with some ease an attempt to pass through them.

With the top 3 all being rather inconsistent over the holiday period, I’m starting to wonder if a dark horse might put together a run and pip them all. No obvious candidates right now stand out for me at the moment, mind.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    Ended up going down a Wikipedia rabbit-hole, and seeing that Jack Redshaw is playing up front for Salford. I'd never given him a second thought, but my parents knew his dad quite well and he'd always mention his lad Jack who was in the youth system at City and for whom he had the highest of hopes. Which isn't that interesting at all, I admit, but Wikipedia also informed me as to the existence of Jack's brother Mark, of whom I can honestly never remember him speaking a word, and who went on to have a magnificent journeyman career:

Youth career
    1992–2001 Manchester United
    2001–2002 Wrexham
    2003–2004 Manchester City
    Senior career*
    Years Team Apps (Gls)
    2004 Radcliffe Borough
    2004 Rossendale United
    2004–2005 Caernarfon Town 2 (0)
    2005–2007 Triestina 0 (0)
    2007 Los Angeles Galaxy 0 (0)
    2007 Rossendale United
    2007–2008 Curzon Ashton
    2008 Stirling Lions 9 (4)
    2009 Ethnikos Piraeus 1 (0)
    2011 Fram Reykjavik 1 (0)
    2011–2012 FC Oss 3 (1)
    2012 Buxton 2 (0)
    2013–2015 Celaya 0 (0)
    Fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by slackster View Post
    Orient are having a mini-wobble at the top. We were poor at Dover, where the ref allowed the home side to get away with fouls and grapples that wouldn’thave been out of place in a wrestling bout. A few key injuries and no reinforcements (yet) is beginning to show signs of stress. Bit early for squeaky bum time but we’ll need to get this blip in form out of the way sharpish if we are to have any chance of top spot come April. Wrexham seem the main threat at the moment, but it’s too early to write a few others off.

2 home games up next: the reverse fixture with Daggers and then promo rivals Salford - who have really hit a sticky patch themselves the last few games.
    It's so tight at the top though. If Salford win their next two fixtures, they're right back in the mix and anyone from 8th upwards is capable of putting on a spurt.

I was expecting Orient to accelerate into the sunset over Christmas with the other top sides playing one another. Thankfully that's not happened and we've managed to dig out some excellent results to get right back up there.

I still think the title is going to come down to who can strengthen in January. Salford have already added former National League golden boot winner Matt Green, but they're already the second top scorers in the league; patching up their leaky defence should be a more pressing concern - but it's not clear they can do that simply by bringing players in. Equally, just going for a "score one more than you" front-loading might be enough to see them flat-track bully the league's backmarkers.

Wrexham have the opposite problem - an inability to score. If we could get a decent goalscorer, we'd have an excellent chance of winning the league, but that's a big if. A few of the loanees who've been so good for us this season - Beavon, Walker, Grant - I think have their loans up in January, so replacing/keeping them is a concern.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Orient are having a mini-wobble at the top. We were poor at Dover, where the ref allowed the home side to get away with fouls and grapples that wouldn’thave been out of place in a wrestling bout. A few key injuries and no reinforcements (yet) is beginning to show signs of stress. Bit early for squeaky bum time but we’ll need to get this blip in form out of the way sharpish if we are to have any chance of top spot come April. Wrexham seem the main threat at the moment, but it’s too early to write a few others off.

2 home games up next: the reverse fixture with Daggers and then promo rivals Salford - who have really hit a sticky patch themselves the last few games.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Ah. Nice.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    That’s not dissimilar to the way Rugby League is done here, or was when I followed it. Maybe Aussie Rules too.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    League winners are automatically promoted as previously.

There are now three rounds to the playoffs, each played over one match at the ground of the team that finished higher in the league (barring the final which continues to be played at Wembley).

In the first round it is 4 v 7 and 5 v 6. The winners go through to the semi finals in which they travel to the sides that finished 2nd and 3rd in the regular season.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Play-offs: 4th plays 7th, 5th plays 6th. Winners of those play 2nd and 3rd in the semi-finals.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    How does the Conference work these days? The table shows a line under first, another under third, and another under seventh.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by slackster View Post
    Was surprised Wrexham put 5 past Salford yesterday
    I think that makes eight thousand two hundred and eighty four of us.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    And finally Martin Allen gets the tin tack at Chesterfield. 4 wins in 25 was an atrocious return (especially as 3 of the wins were in his first 3 games).

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    There's been a development at Chesterfield this morning as the much criticised Ashley Carson has resigned as a director. However he will continue to remain as company secretary, attend board meetings and retain his 3% of shares within the company as the third largest shareholder. His director's debenture remains in place and he's not requesting the repayment of a loan. That doesn't sound like much of a resignation to me.

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
    Next Wednesday, it will be 3 years since Lee Novak ripped Shrewsbury a new arsehole as Chesterfield beat us 7-1.

On social media Chesterfield fans thought that this would be the catalyst for a play-off push. I really don't know what to make of that.
    Only one year further back from that, in January 2014, Chesterfield came and were the only team to win in Bootham Crescent in the second half of the season in York's crazy run from 21st at Christmas to the play-offs. They were comfortably the best team I saw that season in that league and finished deserved champions. Yesterday we shipped 9 goals between us in the fifth and sixth tiers. Football, eh?

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    We’ve Dover at The Crabble up next, after conceding 2 late on to lose at improving Daggers yesterday.

Was surprised Wrexham put 5 past Salford yesterday as scoring has been their obvious weakness so far this season. Fingers crossed they don’t take another 3 points off them in the reverse fixture.

Chesterfield gave us a good game last Saturday, and have been hard to beat for a while, so I was taken aback to see them getting a pumping by Solihull. I’m not a fan of Martin Allen’s tactics as a gaffer, and thought the Spireites would sack him after the winless run they had, but he normally knows what he’s doing at this level. Maybe he’d be too expensive to bin off?

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    As I mentioned on the match-going thread, Dover are too good to go down. Maidstone aren’t.

Also, I do like this old school arrangement of playing the reverse fixture of a localish derby a few days later over the holiday period.

Leave a comment:

• NickSTFU
    replied
    Originally posted by longeared View Post
    More fun and games at Chesterfield today as they lost 4-0 at home to Solihull Moors and fell into the relegation places. At 3-0 the game got held up for eight minutes midway through the second half as some fans came onto the pitch to protest against the board. Then when they got restarted two of their players got booked for fighting with each other.
    Next Wednesday, it will be 3 years since Lee Novak ripped Shrewsbury a new arsehole as Chesterfield beat us 7-1.

On social media Chesterfield fans thought that this would be the catalyst for a play-off push. I really don't know what to make of that.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Maidenhead won!

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Big fan of all the Salford players trying to get sent off, and also not really bothering to defend set pieces.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    5-1 against the nouveau riche? I'll take that, thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    More fun and games at Chesterfield today as they lost 4-0 at home to Solihull Moors and fell into the relegation places. At 3-0 the game got held up for eight minutes midway through the second half as some fans came onto the pitch to protest against the board. Then when they got restarted two of their players got booked for fighting with each other.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Well, whaddaya know. Orient open up a 3 point gap at the top after dispatching fellow contenders Wrexham 2-0 away. Could have gone the other way in a cagey game where the hosts had plenty of possession, but we restricted them to only a couple of sniffs at our goal and took our late chances.

The other top of the table clash ended Solihull 0-0 Salford to give us the first signs of a breathing space.

Wouldn’t write Wrexham off yet, but they really need to upgrade on a striker to find the net more often & complement their decent defence and midfield work.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
    Interesting and well written piece on Chesterfield here: https://jogamagazine.wordpress.com/2...rt-in-england/
    oh man the ched evans stuff in that article is bad

Leave a comment:

• ingoldale
    replied
    Interesting and well written piece on Chesterfield here: https://jogamagazine.wordpress.com/2...rt-in-england/

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    LOL. Typical Orient trod on that proverbial rake and took one full in the face quicker than even I expected on Saturday. Duffed up and mugged by Sutton at home. Let’s see how we react to that setback.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    The Magpies swept aside 0-3 by the Rich Kids. The sooner they get in the league and leave us alone the better.
    Last edited by Sits; 29-09-2018, 20:48. Reason: 0-3, not 3-0.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X