Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slackster
    replied
    Salford are having a right old wobble, and the form team Solihull Moors went to the top last night after dispatching floundering Aldershot 0-3

Orient have re-signed hot & cold forward Jay Simpson after his 2 year spell warming the bench and bolstering his bank balance for Philly Eagles in the MLS, and provided he’s match fit he should help us improve our recent indifferent form. We need to upgrade a central midfielder too, really, but I’m not getting the vibe the Club wants to gamble & blow any more overspend on further additions.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Orient won, Salford drew, Flyde shocked Solihull. Back to the financial question: does it matter if some rich business person has ploughed money into your club making your club more successful or would you prefer your club to be surviving on attendances of 1000 plus raffle ticket sales? Depends on the business the rich business person is running, I guess, but which club is squeaky-clean these days?
    If the rich business person grew up in the area, or has had a lengthy connection with it, then few would surely complain - see Sassuolo, for instance.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Orient won, Salford drew, Flyde shocked Solihull. Back to the financial question: does it matter if some rich business person has ploughed money into your club making your club more successful or would you prefer your club to be surviving on attendances of 1000 plus raffle ticket sales? Depends on the business the rich business person is running, I guess, but which club is squeaky-clean these days?

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Fair enough, with the replies, I probably would feel the same in your position.

Leave a comment:

• Del Usory
    replied
    How come George Switzer never comes on board with any of these things?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    If it's because a few ex professional players decided to put some of their money back in the game then it sounds like petty stuff to me.
    Do you have any objection to the financial doping that Man City and Chelsea have been guilty of in the past?

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    I don't know that end of football that much so in what way are Salford ugly?

Are their fans obnoxious bandwagoners
    yes

do they play aggressive, nasty football?
    yes

If it's because a few ex professional players decided to put some of their money back in the game then it sounds like petty stuff to me.
    also yes

Salford are all the worst things about mid-90s Manchester United but sadly we don't have Kieron Durkan any more to make them look silly.
    Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 24-01-2019, 15:51.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    Non league football is full of a lot worse bastards than Salford, people are just pissed off that they're doing it better than anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    I don't know that end of football that much so in what way are Salford ugly? Are their fans obnoxious bandwagoners, do they play aggressive, nasty football? If it's because a few ex professional players decided to put some of their money back in the game then it sounds like petty stuff to me.

Leave a comment:

• Crusoe
    replied
    Originally posted by EIM View Post
    Presumably he's buying into Salford because Scholes will have to sell his share if he takes over at Oldham?

But then why would he take the Oldham job? Hiding to nothing.
    Sad but utterly true. Owner even chooses the signings.

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    Presumably he's buying into Salford because Scholes will have to sell his share if he takes over at Oldham?

But then why would he take the Oldham job? Hiding to nothing.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Some Orient fans have gone into full-on meltdown mode over Beckham shunning the nearest non-league team to where he grew up in favour of the nearest one to where he first played professionally. Which would have been understandable two years ago, but less so given that we're now under pretty impressive and professional and reasonably well-resourced ownership (not that our owners are without their flaws). Still, bollocks to Salford all the same.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    "becoming"?

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Salford are becoming quite an ugly club aren't they? Whether they are any worse (or better?) than the likes of FGR and Fylde is a moot point

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    And now Becks buys into Salford too.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a4046571.html

Shame he didn’t fancy a punt on his local childhood pro club, but he’s never had anything to do with Orient.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    They're a pretty, er, physically robust side, Solihull, but fair play to them, not just for this season but for their staggering recovery last term under Mark Yates. Meanwhile, some Orient people are having a proper meltdown about our slump in form combining with an injury crisis and yesterday's announcement that veteran (and very much reserve-choice these days) centre-half George Elokobi has been plonked on the transfer list for 'conduct unbecoming of the club'. If we were a big club, this is the sort of confluence of events that would earn us the tag "CRISIS CLUB". Still, plan Bs, squad additions and general tweaks are now very obviously needed after only one goal and one win in four.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    How can you tell it's January?

The snow starts to fall, the decorations get taken down and we start to fucking capitulate. We're gonna finish 10th again; put your house on it.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    On current form, Solihull Moors are looking the most likely to nick the title this year. They’ve gone full time and have some backing, but don’t think they are a “moneybags” doping club. Former keeper for a coach too (Tim Flowers).

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    If Fylde go up would they be the least likely team to have been promoted since..god knows when?
    Crawley and Fleetwood were similarly improbable, with financial doping at the root of all three, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    If Fylde go up would they be the least likely team to have been promoted since..god knows when?

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    I’m thinking of going to Bromley v Wrexham on Tuesday (I’ve been to Hayes Lane a few times but never actually seen the landlords play there).

The home side’s website seems very hot on the details of full segregation and sanctions for away fans found in the home end, is this just because Wrexham may have a large number travelling or is it due to something else between the sides?
    The first time we played Bromley was their first game at Conference level, and the first game of the season. For the first half it was fine and good natured, but when Bromley took the lead a few Wrexham fans started behaving like dickheads.

There was never anything more than drunk men shouting at one another but I think it spooked Bromley and all our games have been segregated with cops present in the ground ever since.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    I regret to say that Salford's performance at Brisbane Road on Saturday, dirty and cynical as it was in places, was the most effective and professional display I've seen by any non-league club since our relegation in 2017. We were outthought and outfought, though it does indeed help if you can afford the likes of Gaffney and can keep Rooney on the bench till the game's won. If Salford carry on playing like that, they'll piss it in the end.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Mighty Maidenhead a great win all that way up, geographically and table-wise at Gateshead. Out of the drop zone.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    Mad stuff at Chesterfield yesterday.

https://twitter.com/copa90/status/1081609515374657536?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I’m thinking of going to Bromley v Wrexham on Tuesday (I’ve been to Hayes Lane a few times but never actually seen the landlords play there).

The home side’s website seems very hot on the details of full segregation and sanctions for away fans found in the home end, is this just because Wrexham may have a large number travelling or is it due to something else between the sides?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X