Salford (Disgustingly Rich) Lads' Club - Conference National 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    The BBC match report has confirmed my suspicion from earlier in the season that Chertsey's Lubo Guentchev is indeed the son of Bontcho.
    He'll be in his early thirties now.

Comment

Boncho played for Chertsey manager Dave Anderson at Hendon.

Comment

What is a Doppi-O please?

Comment

Double in Italian

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
            The only time I heard of Chertsey was as one of the towns destroyed by the Martians in The War Of The Worlds.
            The chances of that happening are a million to one they say...

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              The only time I heard of Chertsey was as one of the towns destroyed by the Martians in The War Of The Worlds.

We'd have to bring the story forward 100 years, but I love the fact that the Martians planned landing spot is in the middle of the stockbroker belt and they go on to lay waste to the golf courses and French restaurants of NW Surrey as they march on the capital. But much like the dalek at the bottom of a flight of stairs, their plans for domination are severely hindered by their need to pick their way through the tight confines of suburban shopping centres:

Comment

Ha, I was thinking of posting that up as well. It freaked me out the first time I saw it until I worked out the link.

My wife was born in Chertsey, because it had the nearest maternity hospital to where she's from, be she remains resolutely uninterested in its football team's progress.

Comment

Good old St. Peter's, not that I know that part of the county particularly well, though I did know a few people in Horsell which was the Martians starting point.

Comment

And Rathcoole's Dave Anderson announces his retirement from football (again) after completing the league and Vase double today.

Comment

I worked in St Peters for about five years. Played for them for about six seasons as well.

Comment

That's interesting, Torres. What did you do there? Did you live locally?

What league did St. Peter's play in?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          The BBC match report has confirmed my suspicion from earlier in the season that Chertsey's Lubo Guentchev is indeed the son of Bontcho.
                          Oh, you should have asked. Maybe you did. Lubo was on Ipswich's books for a while. We all hoped he'd make it, as Boncho was universally adored despite being, you know, not all that good. But he didn't.

Comment

Lived in the hospital for about three years and then made the mistake of moving to Woking for about the same.

Woking and District on the Saturday. South Thameside on the Sunday and a London Hospital Cup on Wednesdays. Happy days.

We had quite a few Chelsea lads play for us at weekends.

Comment

Ah, that's quite a stint.

Three games a week! Chuffing nora! You must have been as fit as a butcher's dog after that. Or a wreck. Could go either way.

Yeh, lot of Chelsea in that neck of the woods.

Comment

Oh well. Orient lost the Trophy final 1-0. Didn’t play that well, but had enough chances to score. Not that bothered to be honest.

I really don’t like Wembley. Despite 20 odd thousand O’s fans there crammed into 1 quarter, the rest of the place looked empty. But maybe, just, maybe, I’ll see us win a bloody game there before I pop my clogs.

Comment

Many from Fylde there?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    Ah, that's quite a stint.

Three games a week! Chuffing nora! You must have been as fit as a butcher's dog after that. Or a wreck. Could go either way.

Yeh, lot of Chelsea in that neck of the woods.
                                    Still play fives now but at 60 it's fuckin hard.

Always regretted not paying a visit to Alwyns Lane to watch Chertsey although I did play at a few non-league grounds while I was there.

Comment

Couple of thousand I think. But couldn’t see them properly as I was up in the Gods & they were on the same side as us (lower tier only).

Comment

Wembley is awful.

Comment

I managed to work in Chertsey for three years and completely missed that. I saw the ruined abbey though.

Comment

I don't think that's Chertsey though, is it? I worked two or three days a week in Chertsey for almost ten years and don't recognise it.

Comment

The Martian tripod? It's in Woking, where Wells lived when he wrote 'War Of The Worlds'.

Comment

There's these two monuments to him and his work in the town too ;

Comment

Ah. Gotcha.

Comment

Woking FC possibly missing a trick here with nicknames

Comment

Working...
                                                    X