No announcement yet.

Salford (Disgustingly Rich) Lads' Club - Conference National 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough, with the replies, I probably would feel the same in your position.

Comment

Orient won, Salford drew, Flyde shocked Solihull. Back to the financial question: does it matter if some rich business person has ploughed money into your club making your club more successful or would you prefer your club to be surviving on attendances of 1000 plus raffle ticket sales? Depends on the business the rich business person is running, I guess, but which club is squeaky-clean these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        Orient won, Salford drew, Flyde shocked Solihull. Back to the financial question: does it matter if some rich business person has ploughed money into your club making your club more successful or would you prefer your club to be surviving on attendances of 1000 plus raffle ticket sales? Depends on the business the rich business person is running, I guess, but which club is squeaky-clean these days?
        If the rich business person grew up in the area, or has had a lengthy connection with it, then few would surely complain - see Sassuolo, for instance.

Comment

Salford are having a right old wobble, and the form team Solihull Moors went to the top last night after dispatching floundering Aldershot 0-3

Orient have re-signed hot & cold forward Jay Simpson after his 2 year spell warming the bench and bolstering his bank balance for Philly Eagles in the MLS, and provided he’s match fit he should help us improve our recent indifferent form. We need to upgrade a central midfielder too, really, but I’m not getting the vibe the Club wants to gamble & blow any more overspend on further additions.

Comment

Would Solihull's ground meet Football League requirements if they went up? I'm not sure it quite meets Conference standards yet.

Comment

You might have a point there. For instance, Damson Park’s current capacity of 3050 falls short of 4000 minimum capacity to qualify for Football League eligibilty. But I’ve not heard anything about Solihull’s stadium failing an EFL ground grading inspection yet...

Comment

I see Aldershot have signed George Elokobi. Probably in my top ten players who I like far more than I rate.

Comment

“Big George” has lost any pace he may have had, I’m afraid.

Was released by Orient last month after a bust up with the gaffer, following a rare & woeful return to 1st team action - with him just lumping nearly every ball out of the ground at Ebbsfleet that led to an early substitution and handbags. Was very popular with Os fans and squad because of his attitude, if not his current abilities, mind.

Comment

That all sounds familiar from his time at Oldham as well. More likeable than effective.

Comment

It's been an odd couple of months of so. At the start of December you'd probably have said the National League had gone from a three-horse race to a two-horse race as Wrexham slipped up, lost their manager and appeared to be in disarray.

Since then, Salford have picked up eight points and Orient 11. Wrexham have, in spite of a four-game losing streak, picked up sixteen points while Solihull have picked up 24 to overhaul a ten point deficit on Orient and take the top spot. So now there's nine points between top and eighth and it still feels like anyone's league.

Comment

WTF? Maidenhead United. Won at Orient. I seriously can't believe that.

Comment

The Os are going through a distinctly dodgy spell, with only two league wins in eight since Christmas.

Comment

Before yesterday’s games you would have looked at Orient, Fylde, Salford, Solihull and Sutton’s fixtures at home to teams much lower in the table and been excused doing a 5 home win accumulator with some confidence. 4 home losses and only a late, late point for Moors was not the expected return. It’s a funny old league, alright. Wrexham seem to have put their losing streak blip behind them, but you really can’t call it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                              Wrexham seem to have put their losing streak blip behind them
                              You'd have said that when we beat Salford and Solihull back to back over Christmas, but then we went on to lose the next four. And with a rookie manager, I'm keeping my expectations in check. I think the league will be won by the team that comes into form at the right time and that looks, at the moment, like Solihull. If we win our next two (away against Borehamwood and Gateshead) I might start to believe though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                And with a rookie manager, I'm keeping my expectations in check.
                                That's the least of my worries - in the last decade or so, it's tended to go most wrong for us when we've gone with experience. Little, Mills and now the Barrow debacle. Even Wilkin was supposed to have a fair bit of nous at this level and he had his priorities arse over tit.

With you on everything else though.

Comment

Solihull Moors begin ground improvements.

Comment

We're suffering from what slightly jolted Russell Slade's excellent team five years ago, two divisions up: the absence of a plan B when our first-choice players get injured and/or shackled. Saturday's was the first truly turgid all-round display of the season but it's been coming for a while. And Wrexham will beat us because that game's on telly, and we've not won on telly for five years.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                      And Wrexham will beat us because that game's on telly, and we've not won on telly for five years.
                                      Won 2-0 at Boreham Wood last night to go top. Which can only mean one thing... we'll fuck up soon enough, probably against your lot.

Comment

I really hope Wrexham come up (assuming Cheltenham stay up). Two of my favourite Cheltenham goals from our 15/16 title winning season were scored against Wrexham. I enjoyed a good drink with a few of their fans before the Whaddon Road game as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Won 2-0 at Boreham Wood last night to go top. Which can only mean one thing... we'll fuck up soon enough, probably against your lot.
                                          We went top in February 2018 too, then didn't win for a whole month.

Comment

Don't remind me... this has "finishing 10th again" written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                              Don't remind me... this has "finishing 10th again" written all over it.
                                              Nice try.

I'd really like to see Wrecsam going up this season. I think the fans have earned it.

Comment

Well if anyone pips us, I hope it's them too.

Comment

I'd like to see Orient go up too, mind.

Comment

Similar sentiments here, E10. Orient have suffered more than enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X