No announcement yet.

Salford (Disgustingly Rich) Lads' Club - Conference National 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orient are having a mini-wobble at the top. We were poor at Dover, where the ref allowed the home side to get away with fouls and grapples that wouldn’thave been out of place in a wrestling bout. A few key injuries and no reinforcements (yet) is beginning to show signs of stress. Bit early for squeaky bum time but we’ll need to get this blip in form out of the way sharpish if we are to have any chance of top spot come April. Wrexham seem the main threat at the moment, but it’s too early to write a few others off.

2 home games up next: the reverse fixture with Daggers and then promo rivals Salford - who have really hit a sticky patch themselves the last few games.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
      Orient are having a mini-wobble at the top. We were poor at Dover, where the ref allowed the home side to get away with fouls and grapples that wouldn’thave been out of place in a wrestling bout. A few key injuries and no reinforcements (yet) is beginning to show signs of stress. Bit early for squeaky bum time but we’ll need to get this blip in form out of the way sharpish if we are to have any chance of top spot come April. Wrexham seem the main threat at the moment, but it’s too early to write a few others off.

2 home games up next: the reverse fixture with Daggers and then promo rivals Salford - who have really hit a sticky patch themselves the last few games.
      It's so tight at the top though. If Salford win their next two fixtures, they're right back in the mix and anyone from 8th upwards is capable of putting on a spurt.

I was expecting Orient to accelerate into the sunset over Christmas with the other top sides playing one another. Thankfully that's not happened and we've managed to dig out some excellent results to get right back up there.

I still think the title is going to come down to who can strengthen in January. Salford have already added former National League golden boot winner Matt Green, but they're already the second top scorers in the league; patching up their leaky defence should be a more pressing concern - but it's not clear they can do that simply by bringing players in. Equally, just going for a "score one more than you" front-loading might be enough to see them flat-track bully the league's backmarkers.

Wrexham have the opposite problem - an inability to score. If we could get a decent goalscorer, we'd have an excellent chance of winning the league, but that's a big if. A few of the loanees who've been so good for us this season - Beavon, Walker, Grant - I think have their loans up in January, so replacing/keeping them is a concern.

Comment

Ended up going down a Wikipedia rabbit-hole, and seeing that Jack Redshaw is playing up front for Salford. I'd never given him a second thought, but my parents knew his dad quite well and he'd always mention his lad Jack who was in the youth system at City and for whom he had the highest of hopes. Which isn't that interesting at all, I admit, but Wikipedia also informed me as to the existence of Jack's brother Mark, of whom I can honestly never remember him speaking a word, and who went on to have a magnificent journeyman career:

Youth career
        1992–2001 Manchester United
        2001–2002 Wrexham
        2003–2004 Manchester City
        Senior career*
        Years Team Apps (Gls)
        2004 Radcliffe Borough
        2004 Rossendale United
        2004–2005 Caernarfon Town 2 (0)
        2005–2007 Triestina 0 (0)
        2007 Los Angeles Galaxy 0 (0)
        2007 Rossendale United
        2007–2008 Curzon Ashton
        2008 Stirling Lions 9 (4)
        2009 Ethnikos Piraeus 1 (0)
        2011 Fram Reykjavik 1 (0)
        2011–2012 FC Oss 3 (1)
        2012 Buxton 2 (0)
        2013–2015 Celaya 0 (0)
        Fantastic.

Comment

Oof. A 3-0 Orient home defeat to promotion rivals Salford was a right party pooper. The home stands were sold out and the Os put in a really poor performance across the pitch. 2 early crosses saw 2 goals for the visitors. After that they were happy to sit back and Orient had no joy trying to break their defence down. Salford had one meaningful attack in the 2nd half and another cross resulted in another headed goal. Our defence and keeper wont be too keen to watch this game back.

Wrexham lost 1-0 at home to Dover. Maybe not as unexpected as it sounds: the match report was almost a carbon copy of our recent visit to The Crabble. Very scrappy, with the Dover defence standing firm and repelling with some ease an attempt to pass through them.

With the top 3 all being rather inconsistent over the holiday period, I’m starting to wonder if a dark horse might put together a run and pip them all. No obvious candidates right now stand out for me at the moment, mind.

Comment

I’m thinking of going to Bromley v Wrexham on Tuesday (I’ve been to Hayes Lane a few times but never actually seen the landlords play there).

The home side’s website seems very hot on the details of full segregation and sanctions for away fans found in the home end, is this just because Wrexham may have a large number travelling or is it due to something else between the sides?

Comment

Mad stuff at Chesterfield yesterday.

https://twitter.com/copa90/status/1081609515374657536?s=21

Comment

Mighty Maidenhead a great win all that way up, geographically and table-wise at Gateshead. Out of the drop zone.

Comment

I regret to say that Salford's performance at Brisbane Road on Saturday, dirty and cynical as it was in places, was the most effective and professional display I've seen by any non-league club since our relegation in 2017. We were outthought and outfought, though it does indeed help if you can afford the likes of Gaffney and can keep Rooney on the bench till the game's won. If Salford carry on playing like that, they'll piss it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    I’m thinking of going to Bromley v Wrexham on Tuesday (I’ve been to Hayes Lane a few times but never actually seen the landlords play there).

The home side’s website seems very hot on the details of full segregation and sanctions for away fans found in the home end, is this just because Wrexham may have a large number travelling or is it due to something else between the sides?
                    The first time we played Bromley was their first game at Conference level, and the first game of the season. For the first half it was fine and good natured, but when Bromley took the lead a few Wrexham fans started behaving like dickheads.

There was never anything more than drunk men shouting at one another but I think it spooked Bromley and all our games have been segregated with cops present in the ground ever since.

Comment

If Fylde go up would they be the least likely team to have been promoted since..god knows when?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        If Fylde go up would they be the least likely team to have been promoted since..god knows when?
                        Crawley and Fleetwood were similarly improbable, with financial doping at the root of all three, of course.

Comment

On current form, Solihull Moors are looking the most likely to nick the title this year. They’ve gone full time and have some backing, but don’t think they are a “moneybags” doping club. Former keeper for a coach too (Tim Flowers).

Comment

How can you tell it's January?

The snow starts to fall, the decorations get taken down and we start to fucking capitulate. We're gonna finish 10th again; put your house on it.

Comment

They're a pretty, er, physically robust side, Solihull, but fair play to them, not just for this season but for their staggering recovery last term under Mark Yates. Meanwhile, some Orient people are having a proper meltdown about our slump in form combining with an injury crisis and yesterday's announcement that veteran (and very much reserve-choice these days) centre-half George Elokobi has been plonked on the transfer list for 'conduct unbecoming of the club'. If we were a big club, this is the sort of confluence of events that would earn us the tag "CRISIS CLUB". Still, plan Bs, squad additions and general tweaks are now very obviously needed after only one goal and one win in four.

Comment

And now Becks buys into Salford too.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a4046571.html

Shame he didn’t fancy a punt on his local childhood pro club, but he’s never had anything to do with Orient.

Comment

Salford are becoming quite an ugly club aren't they? Whether they are any worse (or better?) than the likes of FGR and Fylde is a moot point

Comment

"becoming"?

Comment

Some Orient fans have gone into full-on meltdown mode over Beckham shunning the nearest non-league team to where he grew up in favour of the nearest one to where he first played professionally. Which would have been understandable two years ago, but less so given that we're now under pretty impressive and professional and reasonably well-resourced ownership (not that our owners are without their flaws). Still, bollocks to Salford all the same.

Comment

Presumably he's buying into Salford because Scholes will have to sell his share if he takes over at Oldham?

But then why would he take the Oldham job? Hiding to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                          Presumably he's buying into Salford because Scholes will have to sell his share if he takes over at Oldham?

But then why would he take the Oldham job? Hiding to nothing.
                                          Sad but utterly true. Owner even chooses the signings.

Comment

I don't know that end of football that much so in what way are Salford ugly? Are their fans obnoxious bandwagoners, do they play aggressive, nasty football? If it's because a few ex professional players decided to put some of their money back in the game then it sounds like petty stuff to me.

Comment

Non league football is full of a lot worse bastards than Salford, people are just pissed off that they're doing it better than anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                I don't know that end of football that much so in what way are Salford ugly?

Are their fans obnoxious bandwagoners
                                                yes

do they play aggressive, nasty football?
                                                yes

If it's because a few ex professional players decided to put some of their money back in the game then it sounds like petty stuff to me.
                                                also yes

Salford are all the worst things about mid-90s Manchester United but sadly we don't have Kieron Durkan any more to make them look silly.
                                                Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 24-01-2019, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  If it's because a few ex professional players decided to put some of their money back in the game then it sounds like petty stuff to me.
                                                  Do you have any objection to the financial doping that Man City and Chelsea have been guilty of in the past?

Comment

How come George Switzer never comes on board with any of these things?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X