X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Certainly not on historical grounds, but there are plenty of Conference clubs who've never played in the Football League, but have a much richer history and grassroots support, such as Sutton, Dover and Bromley. Salford will have earned promotion on merit of it happens, but it would have been impossible without the millions of Peter Lim and the United alumni.
    Excellent answer, cheers. Obviously history and grassroots support is vital but I'm still asking if sudden and important investment makes you fake, or just lucky? And if your own particular club were to receive such an offer....

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Thanks. But does being down in the basement for so long give you more right to go up again? is it not about quality on the pitch? (And yes, as a fan of a club more often than I would wish below the top flight, I know what suffering/patience is).
    Certainly not on historical grounds, but there are plenty of Conference clubs who've never played in the Football League, but have a much richer history and grassroots support, such as Sutton, Dover and Bromley. Salford will have earned promotion on merit of it happens, but it would have been impossible without the millions of Peter Lim and the United alumni.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    Wrexham have averaged around 5,000 this season, which is bloody impressive given that they've been down at this level for about a decade now and have had plenty to endure. Their fans will know about going through the mill and sticking with it in a way that Salford's generally do not.
    Thanks. But does being down in the basement for so long give you more right to go up again? is it not about quality on the pitch? (And yes, as a fan of a club more often than I would wish below the top flight, I know what suffering/patience is).

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Before the Class of 92 input, Salford had average attendances of roughly 100, indeed one of the poorest in the Northern Premier League, so the question of "Where were you, etc" certainly applies .

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Wrexham have averaged around 5,000 this season, which is bloody impressive given that they've been down at this level for about a decade now and have had plenty to endure. Their fans will know about going through the mill and sticking with it in a way that Salford's generally do not.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Fuck.

I've never been able to bring myself to watch Salford before. I knew about the tacky rebrand but didn't quite realise the extent to which they pushed the Man U tribute act with the kit.

Horrible fake club.,
    Sorry if I'm naive or stupid or simply too lazy to google this stuff but in what way is Salford a fake club?

They seem to have been going long enough before being taken over and receiving a big cash imput...but what's the difference between them and other clubs in this respect? Chelsea, for example. It may be dirty money involved but which football club is not tainted thus, even if slightly?

I hold no particular brief for Salford but wonder what the reaction would have been if it hadn't been ex Man Utd players at the scene of the crime.

Looking at the Wrexham playoff highlights the other day on youtube there didn't seem to be too many people present so I'm not quite sure how big the demand is there, But maybe the camera angles were misleading, so I'm prepared to be corrected,

Sorry...turned out to be a stream of unconnected sentences, has this post, but still,,,how is Salford a fake club? Have I missed something I shouldn't have done?

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    By which I mean the conventional wisdom (such as it was) suggested that Stevenage and Crawley was the Way of the Future, and new league teams would be yer Basingstokes and Harlows. And of course, Milton Keynes.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
    Newcastle, Gateshead and Ashington were all in the Football League during the Twenties.
    Yes, there have been a few historical examples of teams leaving from a region (Merthyr etc in S. Wales, Workington/Barrow later). But not in the era of auto-promotion, where it's been more scattered.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Also around the same era, Merthyr and Aberdare were in the League, so plenty of inter-Valley Welsh derbies.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Would it be a bit harsh to wish for Wembley to collapse some time between 3pm and 5pm next Saturday?

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Newcastle, Gateshead and Ashington were all in the Football League during the Twenties.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    I know there are "issues" with Fylde, but it would be quite something to have three clubs in the Blackpool region (OK, loosely defined) all joining the Football League - and even going past them - within a generation. Has there ever been anything similar in one area of the country?

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Fuck.

I've never been able to bring myself to watch Salford before. I knew about the tacky rebrand but didn't quite realise the extent to which they pushed the Man U tribute act with the kit.

Horrible fake club.,
    Had to laugh at the BBC Sport website summary - "Eastleigh win 0-0 on penalties" - are there no subeditors at the Beeb any more?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Fuck.

Horrible fake club.,

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Hard luck Wrexham.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    It really is going to be Salford isn't it?!?!

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Gah... Eastleigh would leave a slightly less sour taste in the mouth than the alternatives, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Solihull out.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Praying for a Solihull v Eastleigh final (I've since learned that the previous owner left enough money for Eastleigh to cover this season), with Fylde as the lesser of the two evils.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    They spell my surname wrong at second mention, as per.

Scandalous what's going on at Gateshead. They're team have been astonishingly good in the circs this season, one of the better teams I saw.

Commiserations to Wrexham – gut-wrenching way to fall, again, though a superb goal. Now We Are All Eastleigh when they take on Vanity Project City

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Wrexham did everything but score, which has been their Achilles Heel all season - woodwork twice, off the line twice, keeper made some good saves and a disallowed goal then concede an absolute worldie at the other end. Commiserations to the Wrecsam fans on here.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Bloody hell Wrexham - you had one job. Stop the financially doped clubs getting up. We have to depend on Solihull now.

With that being said, are Eastleigh still heavily backed after their previous owner went to Sunderland?

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Fuck.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Commiserations to Wrexham (again). It's hard to believe it's 11 years and counting, I'd have guessed 7 or 8.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X