X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Agnew
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimski View Post

As a supporter of a club that finished 12th (out of 24) this season, I think this idea is brilliant. No seriously, it definitely does have some merit. I remember a WSC article suggesting something similar years and years ago, and thinking it a bit mad then, but I can see the benefits now.
    As a club that hasn't been involved in a relegation battle since 2002, and has had one promotion challenge since 2005, I wholeheartedly endorse it.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    I don't like secret police teams, so Colne Dynamoes were no loss

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Originally posted by NHH View Post
    I recall a guy who was involved in the Fans Trust takeover of Brentford who said the way to handle this was to make relegation and promotion something that happens every year - so every year, the top half of a division go up, and the bottom half go down, replaced by the bottom half of the division above and the top half of the division below. By making relegation and promotion 'normal' you'd reduce the fear factor and thus the financial doping. I remember thinking it was mad, but on reflection, the idea has some merit I think.

The thing to remember with relegation was that the expansion of the football league in 1921 was to try and counter Rugby League; the Southern League had been integrated the year before as Division Three, then the upper echelons of the regional Northern and Midland leagues were creamed off to make Division Three North. As a result, the upper eschelons of the Northern and Midland non-leagues were weaker than the equivalent southern leagues. I wonder if that's why some of the teams who came up in the post 87 relegation/promotion without being backed by silly money have been disproportionately southern teams (Wycombe, Yeovil until now, Cheltenham, Barnet) as they were clubs that were missed out back in 1921.
    I think it's also that when the Conference was formed, four Leagues were invited to contribute teams - the three that said yes (Northern Premier, Southern League and Isthmian League), and one that said no, which was the Northern League, comprised mainly of clubs from the North East.

As a result, two clubs enter the Conference from the Midlands and South, and one from the North, and the North/South line in the Conference Regional is round about Oxfordshire,

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I'm wondering if the first unsustainable vanity club of the Division Four promotion/relegation era was Colne Dynamoes. (Of which I was a season ticket holder.)
    Yes and no. The owner pushed a lot of cash once auto promotion came in, but he'd formed the club in the 1960s, so it's an overlap more than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Grimmer View Post
    Adam Rooney, who they bought from Aberdeen, is out injured. They bought a few decent League 1 players too.

3-0 to Salford which, on balance, is good. The Fylde coast has more than enough league clubs (i.e. two).
    Especially as we're allowed to like Blackpool again.

Leave a comment:

• Grimmer
    replied
    Combination of two clubs with no historic fanbases. Unsurprising. Not exactly cheap to pop down from the North West either.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Chertsey have done 5,500 for the Vase so far.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Torquay took about 8,000 on their own when Cambridge played them, IIRC.

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    Reluctantly supporting Salford, Graham Alexander was hastily and somewhat unfairly sacked at Scunny, and it is a quick and easy away trip for me, which can be combined with visiting family.

To say they're financially doped, I don't see any names on the team sheets that are recognised performers at a higher class, and I recognise more of Fylde's boys than Salford.
    Such as Danny Philliskirk who, to tie this in with another ongoing thread, is the son of Tony Philliskirk. Philliskirk minor has 150+ Football League appearances to his name.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    8,000 attendance seems pretty low. Other clubs might not have sizeable crowds, but for a Wembley day out the day-trippers usually turn out from the town/region. Even Torquay would attract more.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Christ I hope they crash and burn next season.

Leave a comment:

• Grimmer
    replied
    Adam Rooney, who they bought from Aberdeen, is out injured. They bought a few decent League 1 players too.

3-0 to Salford which, on balance, is good. The Fylde coast has more than enough league clubs (i.e. two).

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Reluctantly supporting Salford, Graham Alexander was hastily and somewhat unfairly sacked at Scunny, and it is a quick and easy away trip for me, which can be combined with visiting family.

To say they're financially doped, I don't see any names on the team sheets that are recognised performers at a higher class, and I recognise more of Fylde's boys than Salford.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Maybe there are 1000s of fans milling around the undercrofts supping Wembley’s shitty beer, but just caught a glimpse of the stands on BTSports with 20 mins to kick off and it looks bloody empty.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    Yes, of course to both. I'd forgotten Darlo were in D2 and I'd forgotten Donny had ever been relegated. That seems so very long ago now. Who else am I blanking?

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Weren't Doncaster briefly in the Championship recently?

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
    How many clubs relegated to NL came back stronger as a result? Shrewsbury is in a much better state since our return. Would Luton's rise to next season's Championship represent the best 'return' of any club relegated from the EFL?

Not bothered about County, happy to recall the sneering and crowing of a few 'Pies fans when they (briefly) thought they were loaded and going to do a Fulham. Just a shame who'll replace them.
    Darlo had a consecutive promotions after coming out of the old Conference.

Sadly, after Brian Little decamped to Leicester, we made no summer signings under Frankie Gray, and, the inevitable happened.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    How many clubs relegated to NL came back stronger as a result? Shrewsbury is in a much better state since our return. Would Luton's rise to next season's Championship represent the best 'return' of any club relegated from the EFL?

Not bothered about County, happy to recall the sneering and crowing of a few 'Pies fans when they (briefly) thought they were loaded and going to do a Fulham. Just a shame who'll replace them.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I'd expect Notts County to bounce back (hopefully in better shape) and it would be nice if they replaced Fylde or Salford in the process

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Anyway, Salford for me, reluctantly. At least Salford is an actual place.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Munto Finance Notts County? Nah, you're alright.

I've no grudge against the 'pies, but I don't really get why everyone's losing their shit over them being relegated. It's a lot less shocking than Luton, Bristol Rovers, Orient, Tranmere, Oxford, just off the top of my head.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    See, if we had re-election we could say "Nah, we'll keep Notts County, thanks."

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Fylde would be an irritant but would quickly become just another D4 club. The media's crush on Salford would skyrocket if they went up and they'd instantly become the one of the highest profile Football League club along with the few "giants" marooned in the upper echelons of D2.

It would be a step towards reducing the lower leagues to the same fucking theme park that Salford already are, anyone but them.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-05-2019, 11:17.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    btw I hope Salford win today, just because of the Fylde - Farage thing.
    And that Fylde are also financially doped up to their eyeballs?

Maybe more so than Salford?

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Tending to agree with that.

Leave a comment:

• Jimski
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X