Paul Madeley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Madeley

Has died aged 73. Part of the one team from the early 70s (in fact pretty much any time) that I can remember all the members from off the top of my head. Have confessed before how the boy me growing up in South Cambridgeshire to a Sheffield Wednesday supporting family believed that my "playground club" should be Leeds (Wednesday were 3rd division, Leeds were massive and to my simple 8 year old brain, also from Yorkshire and therefore acceptable) . I wanted to grow up to be Peter Lorimer or Eddie Gray, but even then I knew that the backbone of the team were the people like Madeley and Reaney. RIP

Sad news. Didnt he wear every shirt 2-11 for Leeds over the years?

Comment

Sprake Reaney Cooper Bremner Charlton Madeley Lorimer Clarke Jones Giles Gray?

Comment

His great team lives on. Neither dead nor evil (6,5)

Comment

My team would have been a couple of years later. Harvey rather than Sprake; Hunter rather than Charlton; Cherry (or McQueen) for Cooper; Yorath or Jordan rather than Jones

Comment

I think that I have said before that I was a Leeds United supporter for most of my childhood until I discovered punk rock (I. Therefore I span the teams mentioned here and, again, can still name most of the players off by heart. As ad hoc says, you may not remember Madeley's individual performances (especially with no video and being too young for MOTD) but an important component of that team. Off to scour Youtube.
            Last edited by Bored Of Education; 24-07-2018, 09:16.

Comment

The 1974 Championship side ruled the playgrounds when I was 7 years old. Best team in Europe at that point, I would say.

Madeley was the most versatile player of that era.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                Sprake Reaney Cooper Bremner Charlton Madeley Lorimer Clarke Jones Giles Gray?
                No. It was Sprake Reaney Cooper Bremner Charlton Hunter Lorimer Clarke Jones Giles Gray sub Madeley. 'Cos he could play anywhere.

Comment

Can't believe I missed Big Norman there

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                    Sad news. Didnt he wear every shirt 2-11 for Leeds over the years?
                    Madeley played in every outfield shirt at least 15 times over 17 years and 700 appearances for Leeds.

Comment

Ten minutes of silence at Leeds from the 2nd to 11th minute.

Comment

I already listed my favourite Leeds United team from that era in another thread, then got ticked off (rightly) by 1974ddr for leaving out Terry Cooper...
                        Anyway, in that thread he (1974ddr) listed the Leeds players from 70/71 and 71/72. Worth repeating it here for Madeley's appearances, (and people say modern players play too many games):

Leeds 1970-71: League apps /goals
                        Norman Hunter 42/1, Allan Clarke 41/19, Paul Madeley 41/5, Terence Cooper 41/1, John Charlton 40/6, Mick Jones 39/6, Peter Lorimer 38/12, Gareth Sprake 35/0, John Giles 34/13, Michael Bates 31/0, William Bremner 25/3, Paul Reaney 19/0, Edwin Gray 19/1, Rod Belfitt 10/3, David Harvey 7/0, Nigel Davey 7/0, Terence Yorath 3/0, Terence Hibbitt 3/0, Chris Galvin 1/0.
                        Leeds 1971-72:
                        Paul Madeley 42/2, Peter Lorimer 42/23, Norman Hunter 42/0, John Charlton 41/5, William Bremner 41/5, John Giles 38/6, Allan Clarke 35/11, Gareth Sprake 35/0, Terence Cooper 34/1, Paul Reaney 33/0, Edwin Gray 26/6, Michael Jones 24/11, Joseph Jordan 12/0, Rod Belfitt 11/1, Michael Bates 9/0, David Harvey 7/0, Terence Yorath 7/1, Chris Galvin 3/0, James Mann 1/0, Keith Edwards 1/0

Comment

Terence? William? Must be a copy and paste from Brian Clough.

RIP Paul Madeley. As others have said, engraved on the memory of us kids from that era, when FA Cup finals were about 50% of the live TV games available.

Comment

Paul Madeley played in the first-ever game I went to, which was vs Coventry in 1970 I was aged 6 and went with with my dad,

According to a quick search, the team that day was:
                            1. Sprake, Gary
                            2. Reaney, Paul
                            3. Cooper, Terry
                            4. Bremner, Billy
                            5. Charlton, Jack
                            6. Hunter, Norman
                            7. Lorimer, Peter
                            8. Clarke, Allan
                            9. Jones, Mick
                            10. Giles, Johnny
                            11. Madeley, Paul

12. Bates, Mick (for Charlton)

Leeds won 3-0, with Clarke scoring 2 and Charlton the other. If my memory is right, it was Charlton's 500th appearance and a 3-piece suite was wheeled on the pitch as part of the presentation to him. I think that Charlton's 600th appearance a couple of seasons later was also by a coincidence against Coventry, and that might have been the 3-piece suite day. I know I was at both games: again something of a coincidence as I remember I was only taken to a couple of matches a season at most at that time.

Anyway, this thread is about Paul Madeley and I'm saddened by his death. On the very remote chance that anyone connected to him reads this post, they have my sympathies.

Comment

Charlton got a clock on the 600th

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/retro...les-photo.html

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Oh, thanks for that! 3-piece suite for your 500th, clock for the 600th: wonder what he got for the 700th.

Comment

Ad Hoc, if you don't mind sharing, where in South Cambridgeshire?

Comment

Foxton

Comment

I linked to it in the spin-off thread, but just for maximum exposure, here's a piece I did on his shirt-number history

Comment

That’s awesome!

I seem to remember Trevor Cherry wore many numbers while at Leeds.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                          I linked to it in the spin-off thread, but just for maximum exposure, here's a piece I did on his shirt-number history
                                          Fascinating, thanks for that. I would never have guessed he played more often as no. 6 than anywhere else...

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                            denis, that is an absolute stunner of a blog post. I am about to search out all the hats in the house so that I can stack them on my head and take them all off to you one by one. I am also going to look for footage of the League Cup final in 68 as I am fascinated by the concept of Paul Madeley as a centre forward.

"In January 1964, the man who Revie would describe as his Rolls Royce made his debut against Manchester City, wearing number 5..."

Leeds won that match at Elland Road 1-0. And my uncle was playing in it. He was City's no. 2, Bill Leivers. I should be speaking to him tomorrow. And I intend to mention this game to him.

Comment

Here are the match details. I love the name of the referee:

SATURDAY 11th JANUARY 1964

LEEDS UNITED 1 (Weston)

MANCHESTER CITY 0

Attendance: 33,737

Leeds United team: Sprake, Reaney, Bell, Bremner, Madeley, Hunter, Giles, Weston, Lawson, Collins, Johanneson

Manchester City team: Dowd, Leivers, Sear, Kennedy, Wood, Oakes, Young, Gray, Pardoe, Shawcross, Wagstaffe

Referee: Fussey. M

Comment

Ah, and, of course, Albert Johanneson listed there who was another interesting Leeds player (way before my time, obviously).

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                  Ah, and, of course, Albert Johanneson listed there who was another interesting Leeds player (way before my time, obviously).
                                                  South African winger Albert Johanneson (1940-1995, Leeds 1961-1970 – 200 appearances, 68 goals) is the most interesting Leeds player of that 1960s era and one of the most interesting in English football full stop. Anybody interested in British society, football and racism in the 1960s-1980s should read the excellent biography The Black Flash (his nickname) written by Leeds fan and journalist Paul Harrison about Johanneson’s fascinating, dramatic and poignant time in England ("Get out of my way, nigger" is the first thing he heard on landing at Heathrow in January 1961 from apartheid South Africa).

I published this two-part article about Johanneson in April 2015 (in French):

http://cahiersdufootball.net/blogs/t...t-britannique/

http://cahiersdufootball.net/blogs/t...t-britannique/

(I’d actually just moved in to Leeds when he was found dead in a tiny council flat in north Leeds where he’d been living as a recluse for years, but I had never heard of him and his death only made a few lines in the papers. In spite of his significance to Leeds United and even to English football, he was buried in a paupers’ unmarked grave until local teacher Paul Eubanks paid for a cross and plaque and then contacted the club to give Johanneson a dignified resting place - the club paid for a headstone).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X