No announcement yet.

Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middlesbrough got to that UEFA Cup final didn't they? Er... 13 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      Middlesbrough got to that UEFA Cup final didn't they? Er... 13 years ago...
      Yes, although I was under the impression they'd qualified as a cup finalist, rather than for finishing 7th, which they did.

Anyway I was confusing Fulham's 2010 run to the final (also after finishing 7th), with their 2002-03 post Inter-toto run.

Comment

Yes, qualification in 2004 through the League Cup, and in 2005 through the League:

Comment

Just to mention as well the last couple of seasons only the FA Cup winner will qualify for the Europa League. The cup runners-up no longer inherit the European spot from a cup winner who's already qualified for the Champions League- in that case the FA Cup Euro qualifying place reverts back to the league.

Comment

There is a League Cup winners place now as well, though if the winner finishes in the top five that slot get allocated via PL final placings.

Comment

I'm sure all the journalists will be very careful what they write about Man U in future. Particularly if they are due to visit a Saudi embassy after the game.

Comment

This is getting silly now. When is China going to buy Aston Villa?

Comment

The Chinese state doesn't really need to engage in sportwashing.

I would have the Burmese military down for Villa.

Comment

didn't a chinese oligarch already buy aston villa? He had to sell out a majority stake to an Egyptian oligarch if I remember correctly.

Comment

When J W Sebastian gets bored of his toys at Anfield our expected get out has to be the Danish Royal Family, really. It's the only thing keeping that John Lennon to Copenhagen flight running daily as it is.

Comment

A pretty happy house here. Mrs F is happy as her and her family are all Palace fans and I'm happy as hopefully we'll see the back of clueless Claude.

Comment

Predictions for the BRC game? I can't see anything but a United win.

So put your money on Liverpool or the draw.

Comment

Yeah. Whenever we're doing well and come up against Man Utd, they spawn a 1-0 against us.

Comment

Paul Ince looks like someone has stuck a bicycle pump up his arse and inflated him.

Comment

Eggchaser invoking the ghost of Spike Milligan there. Top man.

Comment

Patrick Moore was the pump recipient IIRC

Comment

Returning to the Wolves discussion, does winning the FA Cup get you a better Europa seeding than finishing 7th and, if so, will it still do so when EL2 starts in 2021?

Comment

Yes, it provides direct entry to the groups.

As to 2021, we don't know, as the Access List is only done one season in advance.

Comment

There is a provisional access list.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles...2_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Although FA Cup winners are not specified, I assume it will be N6, which retains the EL1 group stage place as at present along with N5. Unfortunately, N7 (league cup winners? Equivalent of Burnley this year?) will no longer be able to qualify for EL1 and will go into the play-off round of EL2, which has no automatic group qualifiers and is made up of:
                                        • 5 winners from the play-off round for champions
                                        • 17 winners from the play-off round for non-champions
                                        • 10 losers from the Europa League play-off round

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...023%E2%80%9324)

Scotland is tough to work out as their ranking may fall but if they stay 26th they will have three clubs in the EL2 2nd qualifying round, so everyone except their champions will be excluded from EL1 unless they can win EL2 and get 'promotion' that way. Infact this seems to be the case for all associations below 15th: you get up to 3 clubs in EL2 and they enter at the 2nd qual stage (associations 16-28) or 1st qualifying stage. It's really a demotion for the Scottish clubs because currently they go into EL1 first qualifying round, but OTOH they will face opposition they can realistically beat right up to the group stage, and a team like Rangers could go a long way in it (further than they did in EL1).
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-02-2019, 01:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          Patrick Moore was the pump recipient IIRC
                                          My awareness of it comes from a description of an Army colleague of his.

Comment

Puel gone.

Comment

Man Utd done for subs in first half.

Comment

Ref is giving a lot of free kicks for nothing.

Comment

It's on days like this that you really need the crowd to step up and be your ninth man.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X