No announcement yet.

Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning the question around, are the Chelsea players trying to make some kind of point here? I know City are a brilliant side, but there's just been some calamity defending happening.

As I type, City hit their fourth. Chelsea will be lucky to keep this in the single figures.

Comment

And we all thought Everton was the goal difference game.

Comment

What must Higuain be thinking he's walked into here?

0-4, 5-0, 0-4 (so far).

Comment

Chelsea officially worse than Cardiff and Burnley and only very slightly better than Rotherham.

Comment

Chelsea's last four games have finished 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 and 6-0. No pressure on Malmo to deliver the 7-0 on Thursday, then.

Comment

Another Spurs season where finish nowhere near title winners but get media claims as challengers. Been watching football since 1971 and has always been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Bet it didn't lead to a goal, though.
                Right in front of me that was and no, no it didn't. This is Division Three after all. He did get a decent cross in though but Lamerias took an extra touch and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                  Another Spurs season where finish nowhere near title winners but get media claims as challengers. Been watching football since 1971 and has always been the case.
                  They were fairly shit in the mid-to-late seventies. Didn’t Newcastle often finish above them?

Comment

Well they were so "fairly Shit" that they were relegated in 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
                      You can't have been watching very closely then, because - other than on a few occasions in the eighties - Spurs have almost never been touted us as contenders until the past decade or so. (With twenty wins already under our belts, I don't see why we 'wouldn't' be considered outsiders this season, however: it's highly unlikely indeed, but five points can be gained and lost in next to no time - as Liverpool are discovering...)

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                      Chelsea's last four games have finished 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 and 6-0. No pressure on Malmo to deliver the 7-0 on Thursday, then.
                      Given that these were WLWL, this logically must set them up for a 7-0 win on Thursday?
                      Last edited by Jah Womble; 11-02-2019, 10:15.

Comment

Followed by an 8-0 pumping by Man United in the FA Cup.

Neither of those outcomes are beyond the realms of possibility, are they?

(Then of course a 9-0 win in the return leg against Malmo, and a 10-0 drubbing by Man City in the Carabao Cup final...)

Comment

Hold on - that sets them up to do us 11-0 at Stamford Bridge on the 27th..!

Comment

Which interestingly would break the 24-year old Premier League record but not the 127-year old top-flight record.

Comment

So that's out of both domestic cup competitions,but squeaking through 16-0 on aggregate in the EL and putting 11 past Spurs.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Yeah, I'd keep your wedge in your wallet.

Comment

That is a shocker from the Newcastle keeper. After injury time was over. 1-1

Comment

absolute shite from dubravka, and not his first fuck-up of late, but at least he isn't wearing the number eleven.

Comment

another good game for sean longstaff, mind. our academy is, by and large, disgustingly poor so it's nice to see someone play their way into the team.

Comment

To qualify for Europe, Wolves can either get past 4 opponents in the FA Cup, or have a good run against 12 opponents in the league. The former includes at least one, and probably more, teams from below the Premier League. And then there's the small matter of winning real silverware for the first time in four decades.

If they pick the reserves for the cup-tie(s), get knocked out but then do a lap of honour for finishing 8th, I suppose this should be in the "Things I don't understand about modern football" thread.

Comment

'A good run' in the league can include quite a few defeats, though. Wolves are currently seventh with 39 points from 26 games, i.e. 1.5 points per game. To continue that rate of point collection they only need a 5-3-4 record over their last 12 games. They can afford to lose games against the top six and still be on track. One bad draw and FA Cup defeat and that is over. There is so much more margin for error for them to finish seventh, which is why it is a rather more attainable goal.

The modern Football thing here is that defeat against the top six is so likely that it has changed what clubs can realistically hope for.

Comment

What does seventh place get you now, Europa League if one or both of the cup winners finish in the top five?

Comment

Yes. Burnley did it with 54 last season, five clear of Everton.

Somehow I don't think Wolves will have "they should sack it off to concentrate on staying in the Premier League" thrown at them.

Comment

Oh, they will. It gets thrown at any side in Europe who are not part of the Big Six. Leicester got it regarding the Champions League the season they were in that, when they reached the QFs and made the biggest operating profit in the history of Football up until Liverpool last season.

Comment

I know Wolves struggled to get past Shrewsbury, but there's something about them that makes me think that if they get through the 5th round they'll start taking the FA Cup very seriously. Moreso than any other club in the top flight.

Comment

Having Wolves in Europe would fit with the 1950s post-brexit vibe I suppose.

It would be nice if one of these lower placed qualifiers actually made a fist of the competition, I can only recall Fulham having a good run a few years ago after qualifying through the Inter-Toto (what happened to that?)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X