Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Starting this thread mainly to avert the unhappy situation last year where anyone wishing to discuss the Premier League found themselves doing so on an unwieldy 'TV watchin' thread.

Yeah, so Leicester have finally sold Mahrez to Manchester, for what amounts to a pair of brass buttons in today's market. This is a disaster for football as there are two possible outcomes:-

1. Mahrez will spend lots of time on the bench, which should not happen to such a wonderfully skilful player and his fans.
    2. Mahrez will make Manchester even better than they are already and they will breeze to another title.

So no fun there, and I partly wish we'd sold him to Roma a year ago. Anyway. Even while he was half-sulking he was still one of Leicester's best players, and I hope there isn't too much pressure on new signing Neil Maddison to be a miraculous replacement. Maddison looks promising and the other two acquisitions, RWB Ricardo Pereira from Porto and CB Jonny Evans from West Brom, seem reasonably sound, but we thought that about last summer's newcomers too. A bad start and Claude Puel is likely to find himself under pressure, though unlike Craig Shakespeare he is at least a football manager.

Elsewhere, Arsenal fans have at last got their wish and driven their greatest manager ever away. They'll struggle. It's also high time Tottenham had a bad year, especially as their good players are probably looking wistfully elsewhere after the World Cup. Liverpool will come 5th as usual. Chelsea will come 5th as usual. Everyone will be full of ham, and it won't be old ham either.

Predictions:-

Premier League - Manchester
    FA Cup - Leicester City
    Relegated - Arsenal, Tottenham, Cardiff

Why are you calling city 'Manchester'?

Comment

Why are you calling Manchester City "city"?

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
        Why are you calling city 'Manchester'?
        Why are you replying before viewing the thread?

Comment

EIM - I've taken away their 'City' as they have abused it.

Comment

If Spurs and Arsenal are going to struggle, Man City are winning the league and Liverpool and Chelsea are both finishing fifth, who apart from Man United are making up your top four?

Comment

Good question. It's hard to say. Maybe Burnley will push on, or Everton revitalise, or Crystal Palace take their turn as London's top team. With Brexit occurring at the business end of the season it's difficult just to predict which players will still be here.

Comment

Man City were so far ahead last season that I don't see Mahrez reducing that gap, especially if Mourinho makes him a worse player.

I think Spurs might get second, although Kane and Dele Alli might be exhausted.

Liverpool with a decent keeper will be interesting but the jury is out on their defenders.

Chelsea and Arsenal - possible serious declines for a year or three while in transition.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Why are you calling Manchester City "city"?
                  1. Because I live in Manchester and everyone here calls them City, usually preceeded by "Fuck off,".
                  2. Because I used the word Manchester straight after City so I assumed there'd be no confusion with other teams.
                  3. Despite posting here since 2001 I forgot how fucking anal everyone is.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                    EIM - I've taken away their 'City' as they have abused it.
                    I'm not happy with this. All over Europe we're known as Manchester. We'll have to think of something else.

Comment

Man U and Man Blue

Comment

I'm sorry EIM, but I find Manchester Paleblue's attempt to annex the suffix 'City' for their exclusive use equally irksome. So it goes.

Liverpool fans, how much difference do you think a new GK will make? I mean, Mignolet was highly rated when he joined you, wasn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                          1. Because I live in Manchester and everyone here calls them City, usually preceeded by "Fuck off,".
                          2. Because I used the word Manchester straight after City so I assumed there'd be no confusion with other teams.
                          3. Despite posting here since 2001 I forgot how fucking anal everyone is.
                          Despite posting here since even before that I forgot how uptight this question (or the other one) makes some people, even when the reference is clearly not about that at all. As your point 2 makes clear, context is important.

Comment

Why are you calling Liverpool Rovers 'Liverpool'?

Comment

Maybe Burnley will push on
                              Ha ha ha.

No.

15th and a cue of "how did they regress so badly, must be the Europa League" as opposed to just reverting to the mean. We've still got to sell one of our two England goalkeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Man City were so far ahead last season that I don't see Mahrez reducing that gap, especially if Mourinho makes him a worse player.
                                Hang on, Man City signed Mahrez not United - or is this part of the "Manchester" gag?

Comment

... I hope there isn't too much pressure on new signing Neil Maddison to be a miraculous replacement.
                                  James Maddison.
                                  His (sur)namesake Neil, the ex-Southampton, Boro & Darlo player, is knocking on 50 now. That would be a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Hang on, Man City signed Mahrez not United - or is this part of the "Manchester" gag?
                                    Sorry I misread the OP. I have no idea why Man City would need Mahrez except to stop their rivals buying him, so I assumed he had gone to Old Trafford.

Comment

I'm sorry EIM, but I find Manchester Paleblue's attempt to annex the suffix 'City' for their exclusive use equally irksome. So it goes.

Liverpool fans, how much difference do you think a new GK will make? I mean, Mignolet was highly rated when he joined you, wasn't he?
                                      Man City is a perfectly good abbreviation, one might as well howl against Swansea, Bristol or Exeter.

Comment

Er... quite a lot of people would howl against "Bristol"...

Comment

Count me in

Comment

I hink Arsenal will do well. Aubamayeng already looking sharp last season. no World cup. Ramsey and Lacazette ditto. A couple of good signings and youngsters coming through. spurs especially bringing back a lot of tired players, some good sognings in key posiions, Second acheivable, Can't see anyone beating city unless there's an implosion

Comment

Liverpool with a decent keeper will be interesting but the jury is out on their defenders.
                                              Surprisingly, after the 4-1 humping at Spurs, Liverpool conceded fewer goals than anyone else in the league. Shouldn't let a poor start colour your view of the whole season. Karius looked fairly decent up until he got concussed in the Big Cup Final.
                                              Besides, In Robertson, Alexander-Arnold and Van Dijk there's three quarters of a good back four. And of course there's Lovren who is the self-proclaimed king of defending.

Comment

Liverpool
                                                City
                                                ManU
                                                Spurs

Liverpool haven't had a decent keeper since Reina and his last few seasons were awful. Still think Liverpool have got a bit of a cup side look to them, but, I'm more optimistic now than I have been for 15 years.

Comment

Liverpool are still short of a couple of creative midfielders also capable of slogging up and down the pitch for the full 90 in the style Jurgen wants. We drew 16 games last season not through defensive frailty but through an inability to turn possesion into goals, or even chances. Do Keita and Shaqiri bring that? A proper one chance two goals centre forward would be good too, like that lad Sturridge we had in 2014.
                                                  Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 19-07-2018, 17:28.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X