No announcement yet.

Leicester than zero? - Premier League 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'A good run' in the league can include quite a few defeats, though. Wolves are currently seventh with 39 points from 26 games, i.e. 1.5 points per game. To continue that rate of point collection they only need a 5-3-4 record over their last 12 games. They can afford to lose games against the top six and still be on track. One bad draw and FA Cup defeat and that is over. There is so much more margin for error for them to finish seventh, which is why it is a rather more attainable goal.

The modern Football thing here is that defeat against the top six is so likely that it has changed what clubs can realistically hope for.

Comment

What does seventh place get you now, Europa League if one or both of the cup winners finish in the top five?

Comment

Yes. Burnley did it with 54 last season, five clear of Everton.

Somehow I don't think Wolves will have "they should sack it off to concentrate on staying in the Premier League" thrown at them.

Comment

Oh, they will. It gets thrown at any side in Europe who are not part of the Big Six. Leicester got it regarding the Champions League the season they were in that, when they reached the QFs and made the biggest operating profit in the history of Football up until Liverpool last season.

Comment

I know Wolves struggled to get past Shrewsbury, but there's something about them that makes me think that if they get through the 5th round they'll start taking the FA Cup very seriously. Moreso than any other club in the top flight.

Comment

Having Wolves in Europe would fit with the 1950s post-brexit vibe I suppose.

It would be nice if one of these lower placed qualifiers actually made a fist of the competition, I can only recall Fulham having a good run a few years ago after qualifying through the Inter-Toto (what happened to that?)

Comment

Middlesbrough got to that UEFA Cup final didn't they? Er... 13 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                  Middlesbrough got to that UEFA Cup final didn't they? Er... 13 years ago...
                  Yes, although I was under the impression they'd qualified as a cup finalist, rather than for finishing 7th, which they did.

Anyway I was confusing Fulham's 2010 run to the final (also after finishing 7th), with their 2002-03 post Inter-toto run.

Comment

Yes, qualification in 2004 through the League Cup, and in 2005 through the League:

Comment

Just to mention as well the last couple of seasons only the FA Cup winner will qualify for the Europa League. The cup runners-up no longer inherit the European spot from a cup winner who's already qualified for the Champions League- in that case the FA Cup Euro qualifying place reverts back to the league.

Comment

There is a League Cup winners place now as well, though if the winner finishes in the top five that slot get allocated via PL final placings.

Comment

I'm sure all the journalists will be very careful what they write about Man U in future. Particularly if they are due to visit a Saudi embassy after the game.

Comment

This is getting silly now. When is China going to buy Aston Villa?

Comment

The Chinese state doesn't really need to engage in sportwashing.

I would have the Burmese military down for Villa.

Comment

didn't a chinese oligarch already buy aston villa? He had to sell out a majority stake to an Egyptian oligarch if I remember correctly.

Comment

When J W Sebastian gets bored of his toys at Anfield our expected get out has to be the Danish Royal Family, really. It's the only thing keeping that John Lennon to Copenhagen flight running daily as it is.

Comment

Working...
                                  X