League of Ireland & Irish League 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League of Ireland & Irish League 2018

It wouldn't be a League of Ireland season without "trouble at t'mill" - Limerick and Bray Wanderers are both in financial difficulty, with consequences from the FAI. The squads from both clubs have gone on strike, both have been forbidden from registering players for the rest of the season, while the Seagulls have been barred from the Irn-Bru Challenge Cup.

It's a pity about Bray,they've always been a well run club,staying in the top flight through careful budgeting,a few years ago a new board came in and first thing on the agenda was moving Bray from their ground
    The Carlisle grounds is probably the most valuable ground in the league,being situated near Bray seafront and right beside the DART station with easy access to Dublin.
    It is also owned by the local council,having been given to them by the British army after independence with the provision that it be kept as a sports ground.
    Thus the Bray management seem to have lost all interest in the club an relegation (at least) seems inevitable.
    As for Limerick,It's nearly impossible to get that rugby mad city to care about soccer so trouble is never far away,although they seem to have reached an agreement over the wages

Comment

what the fuck is the story with the takeover of Galway by Saudi's?

Comment

God only knows,hasn't shot them up the table yet,don't hold your breath for the Emirates terryland any time soon

Comment

Bray Wanderers have now said they'll pay all outstanding money tomorrow,I wouldn't hold my breath for the rest of the season though

Comment

An excellent victory for Derry in Belarus, more's the pity that the damage done in the Brandywell was too severe. Rovers win 1-0 away to AIK, but have gone behind in ET.

Comment

Latest idea by the F.A.I is to establish a€300,000 fund jointly between them and the players union to ensure that players in crisis clubs continue to get paid,two problems with this,firstly they didn't consult with the PFAI before they announced the deal,more importantly personally there are four teams fighting relegation,two of them,Bohemian fc and Sligo Rovers have continued to pay players wages and budgeted correctly,two,Bray Wanderers and Limerick fc are badly run basket case clubs who now get a bonus for not giving a fuck,doesn't seem right to me

Comment

A likely third problem is that the PFÀI have a much smaller turnover than the FAI

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                  Latest idea by the F.A.I is to establish a€300,000 fund jointly between them and the players union to ensure that players in crisis clubs continue to get paid,two problems with this,firstly they didn't consult with the PFAI before they announced the deal,more importantly personally there are four teams fighting relegation,two of them,Bohemian fc and Sligo Rovers have continued to pay players wages and budgeted correctly,two,Bray Wanderers and Limerick fc are badly run basket case clubs who now get a bonus for not giving a fuck,doesn't seem right to me
                  Fair point elguapo, there's no point in having this safety net if it's effectively going to forgive financial mismanagement. You'd need a rule along the lines of if players are unpaid for a month they'll be compensated and the club will be docked six points

Comment

It was news to the PFAI that they would be half funding the fund. There can’t be more than 200 players in the League of Ireland getting paid above the minimum wage. This would be a sizable amount per player to fund.

http://www.pfai.ie/news/pfa-ireland-statement

Comment

The FAI have now confirmed that they will put up the full amount for the fund, and that any club dipping into the fund will be docked six points and banned from signing new players, with the amount drawn from the fund to be repaid before the end of the season or there'll be 'other sanctions'.

Comment

Irish League Prediction

1 Crusaders
                        2 Linfield
                        3 Coleraine
                        4 Cliftonville
                        5 Glentoran
                        6 Glenavon

7 Ballymena
                        8 Dungannon
                        9 Newry
                        10 Ards
                        11 Warrenpoint
                        12 Institute

Comment

I see Institute are sharing the Brandywell with Derry City so,fixtures permitting,it will be possible to watch two premier league teams from two different countries in the same ground over the same weekend

Comment

To add to the mix, Derry City women are playing in the IFA not FAI League this term

Comment

FAI Cup first round this weekend. There are two all junior club ties meaning at least two will make it through to the second round. Of particular is Inchicore Athletic 'hosting' St. Pats at Richmond Park on Friday.

Comment

UCD have been officially promoted back to the Premier Division, following a 1-1 draw at home to title rivals Finn Harps. They will replace either Limerick or Bray, the only two clubs who can be automatically relegated.

Comment

Meanwhile, a 4-2 win for Bohs over Cork leaves Dundalk six points clear, but now with a game in hand, and only five matches remain for the Turners' Cross outfit.

Comment

Oops!

http://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/status/1040674446690869248

Comment

Hypothetically, if the keeper had been able to dive to push it away, would it only be an indirect free kick?

Comment

and a red card I'd say.

Comment

Good start for ex Coleraine supremo Oran Kearney as St Mirren hold Celtic

Comment

Jesus,Damien Delaney was rank for Cork last night, it's hard to believe he was a premier league regular last season,apart from the og he also gave away the ball for the third goal and for the other two, Bohs discovered the easiest way to goal was running straight at him,biggest cheer from the Cork fans came when I announced his substitution at half-time,also good to see Cork keeper doing the Lorus Karius patented swig of water when I let in a stupid goal

Comment

I see Sligo will be visiting Motherwell in the Diddy Cup. Are they any good?

I was at the Dundalk v Cork Presidents Cup earlier in the year and I was quite impressed at the standard of football from both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by torres View Post
                                                I see Sligo will be visiting Motherwell in the Diddy Cup. Are they any good?

I was at the Dundalk v Cork Presidents Cup earlier in the year and I was quite impressed at the standard of football from both sides.
                                                They're 10th, so the last time above the relegation play-off - mind you, see Motherwell are in a similar boat, so should be relatively even.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                                  UCD have been officially promoted back to the Premier Division.
                                                  Yay!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X