La Vecchia Signora compra un vecchio gioiello: Calcio Italiano 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

La Vecchia Signora compra un vecchio gioiello: Calcio Italiano 2018-19

It's about the time of year where I start to pine for some Serie A, especially after hearing the Italian national anthem and seeing the flags waving at Silverstone last weekend. The national team have missed the summer party and needs to rebuild. The EL and CL qualifiers are starting, there's backroom shenanigans at Milan, new kits are coming out, Berardi rumours abound (hands off!) ...

Twenty Serie A teams with a blank sheet of paper. They hope and dream of what the new season can bring.... Ah, who am I kidding... Ok, so how many of the 38 games will Juve play to win the Scudetto again?
    Last edited by Kevin S; 12-07-2018, 20:05.

Last edited by Kevin S; 13-07-2018, 21:00. Reason: Thanks Snake for correcting the dates!

Comment

What's the crack with the striking Fiat workers? These Messi fanboys get everywhere.

(Up the workers, obv)

Comment

Just posting the Eleven Sports article again for easier reference:

http://www.euronews.com/2018/07/12/i...ports-channels

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
          What's the crack with the striking Fiat workers? These Messi fanboys get everywhere.

(Up the workers, obv)
          Well the common link is the Agnelli family, who own a large slice of Fiat and a majority of Juve. Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) have laid off a lot of workers in Italy in recent years and haven't come up with any decent new cars in a fair while.

“It is unacceptable that while the [owners] ask workers ... for huge economic sacrifices for years, the same decide to spend hundreds of millions of euros for the purchase of a player. The owners should invest in car models that guarantee the future of thousands of people rather than enriching only one.”

Comment

Inter getting fourth place ahead of Lazio on head-to-head, right at the death of last season - qualifying for the CL - seems to have had an impact this close season. They've been able to make some decent signings, with Nainggolan chief among them, but the signing of de Vrij from Lazio on a free is a strong indicator that Inter have stolen a march on the biancocelesti.

Pastore is Roma's big signing, so the loss of Nainggolan may not affect them too much: are we seeing a net import of top talent into Serie A for the first time in a while? Napoli are also bringing in a highly-rated midfielder, the young Spaniard Fabián Ruiz Peńa from Betis.

Combining this with Juve's splashes, and it seems that the four CL teams in Italy are probably all in better shape than 12 months ago. Napoli also have arguably upgraded their manager - Sarri's off to Chelsea, but Ancelotti is now at the helm and should give them more steel to face the domestic and European challenges. He's also after a centre forward, since the false nine approach isn't what he wants. Three names are suggested as likely targets - a return for Cavani, or a move for Benzema or even Balotelli.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              Well the common link is the Agnelli family, who own a large slice of Fiat and a majority of Juve. Fiat-Chrysler (FCA) have laid off a lot of workers in Italy in recent years and haven't come up with any decent new cars in a fair while.

“It is unacceptable that while the [owners] ask workers ... for huge economic sacrifices for years, the same decide to spend hundreds of millions of euros for the purchase of a player. The owners should invest in car models that guarantee the future of thousands of people rather than enriching only one.”
              But the Agnellis aren't allowed put any money into juventus any more. If anything, Juventus are giving Jeep, below cost advertising space. The two organizations aren't linked in that way any more,

Comment

Juventus is controlled by EXOR N.V., a listed company with registered office in Amsterdam, which holds 63.8% of the share capital. EXOR N.V. is one of Europe's leading investment companies and is controlled by Giovanni Agnelli B.V.

Comment

fair enough, but juventus as a football club are basically a separate financial entity, unless they think that the club should be cross subsidizing fiat, which given the relative sizes of the two enterprises is mental.

Comment

So it's all change down at Sassuolo. Last season ended up ok - 11th - but looked shaky for a good while. Be interesting to see what comes up with a shuffled pack.

A new manager is at the helm. Roberto De Zerbi has come in after leaving Benevento. Of course, Benevento are remembered for their record-breaking losing streak at the start of the season, 14 games on the spin, occupying 20th place from game 3 to the end. Oh yes, and he also had a terrible spell at Palermo before that.

Well... he'd be hard pushed to do any worse than that, I suppose. And from what I'm reading he likes to play quite exciting football, so maybe with a better-resourced club we might see some decent results from him.

And in the transfer market, Acerbi, Defrel, Falcinelli and Politano have all moved on. Berardi has said he would consider Roma but the club want 30m for him.

Coming in are Federico Di Francesco, Khouma Babacar, Jens Odgaard, Filip Djuricic and Kevin-Prince Boateng.

https://twitter.com/KPBofficial/stat...41668760772608
                    https://twitter.com/KPBofficial/status/1015541668760772608
                    Last edited by Kevin S; 16-07-2018, 09:56.

Comment

I don't pay attention to transfers for the most part and instead just try to figure out who is missing and who has arrived once the season starts. But Roma losing Nangolin is brutal. And gaining Pastore makes things worse. Pastore has maybe had one good season at PSG (combining all of the seasons he has been there). Pastore is often injured or ineffective. Nangolin has been pushed farther up the field with each successive season, which I think is a mistake; he's not a number 10. But Nangolin is one of these guys that works, works, works. Roma had a good season in 2017-18 with a third place finish and a CL 1/2 final but I don't think the purchases last year were very good (including the super expensive Schick). It sounds like this year will continue that negative trend.

Comment

Sassuolo have got the chequebook out again today, apparently, picking up young Ivorian international Jérémie Boga from Chelsea. He's been out on loan the past three seasons, of course, in France (Rennes), Spain (Granada) and, last season, at Birmingham City. Very quick and skillful left winger, he made a mockery of many a Championship fullback last season.

Comment

The TAS/CAS have granted Milan's appeal. The additional financial resources provided by Elliott appear to have been key in their decision.

As a result, Milan will play in this season's Europa League

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                            I don't pay attention to transfers for the most part and instead just try to figure out who is missing and who has arrived once the season starts. But Roma losing Nangolin is brutal. And gaining Pastore makes things worse. Pastore has maybe had one good season at PSG (combining all of the seasons he has been there). Pastore is often injured or ineffective. Nangolin has been pushed farther up the field with each successive season, which I think is a mistake; he's not a number 10. But Nangolin is one of these guys that works, works, works. Roma had a good season in 2017-18 with a third place finish and a CL 1/2 final but I don't think the purchases last year were very good (including the super expensive Schick). It sounds like this year will continue that negative trend.
                            From what the birds whisper, Nainggolan isn't your most disciplined player off the pitch. Combined with him being left out of Belgium's World cup squad I think there's a good reason beyond his ability on the pitch why he was transferred out by Roma. And silly Inter had to take the bait.

Comment

Roma has made the most exciting signings this summer. Including Justin Kluivert.

Milan might as well sign a flock of baboons as long as this shit with owners is going on. You don't know from one day to the other who actually runs the club and if I ever meet Li I will slap him in the bollocks.

Comment

Roma now have money and need a keeper. Donnarumma might fancy the Champions League. How desperate are Milan for a cash injection?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The TAS/CAS have granted Milan's appeal. The additional financial resources provided by Elliott appear to have been key in their decision.

As a result, Milan will play in this season's Europa League
                                  Interesting part of that was when Milan's lawyer demanded to get insight into Manchester C, PSG and Inter finances because he suspected they had failed as much as Milan yet were not thrown out of any competition. And he was granted the right.

Comment

I don't believe that Roma have any Raiola players, and not by accident

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      Roma now have money and need a keeper. Donnarumma might fancy the Champions League. How desperate are Milan for a cash injection?
                                      It's hard to keep track now when this Chinese owner acquired the club, financed with a loan, and then you have Milan the company in debt. I've tried to keep up with who owes what and how much but even simple debit/credit has me bored right through my blood cells within seconds so...
                                      I believe Elliott has sorted (written off) what Milan as club owed, which was up towards 130 million euro.

Comment

Roma would be stupid to buy Donnarumma for a shitload of cash, by the way.
                                        The kid's only 19 and was a success from age 16, but last season there were tendencies and quite a few moments where he seemed to show decline rather than further improvement. There's a reason all those clubs willing to pay a gazillion ahead of last season, now are nowhere to be seen even with a third of their initial offer.

Comment

They needed to do that to win the appeal and improve their chances of selling the club for a maximum profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                            Roma would be stupid to buy Donnarumma for a shitload of cash, by the way.
                                            The kid's only 19 and was a success from age 16, but last season there were tendencies and quite a few moments where he seemed to show decline rather than further improvement. There's a reason all those clubs willing to pay a gazillion ahead of last season, now are nowhere to be seen even with a third of their initial offer.
                                            There are all sorts of GK rumours about when you google it, aren't there? Another one seems to be something like Courtois to Real Madrid, Areola to Roma, and Donnarumma to Chelsea or PSG. Who knows how it'll all shake out. Genoa snapped up the young Romanian keeper Radu this summer from Inter, who had been loaning him out. Might prove to be a smart bit of business.

Comment

Parma will not be relegated.

They have been penalized five points and Emmanuele Calcio (the player who texted two teammates asking them to go easy on his old club La Spezia) has been banned for two years.

A decision on the charge that Chievo falsely inflated player transaction “profits” in order to meet financial requirements is expected later.

Comment

And Roma do apparently now have their new GK - Sweden's Robin Olsen is supposed to be joining for around 12m from Copenhagen.

Comment

Hold on there's a player called Emmanuele Calcio, and he's banned from football for match fixing. I suppose that's nominative determinism

Comment

Working...
                                                  X