Treble Treble, Your Face is a Mess: Scottish Fitba 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treble Treble, Your Face is a Mess: Scottish Fitba 2018-19

Better get this thread started as the season kicks off on Friday evening when Kilmarnock entertain St Mirren in the League Cup Group Stage. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks it's way too early for all this?

In the Premier League, will the Blessed Brendan continue to hoover up every domestic trophy? Will it be Stevie G-esus or G-esus wept at Ibrox? And can Aberdeen hold on to their much-coveted title of "Second-best team in Scotland"?

We have two newbies coming up from the Championship - St Mirren, after a three year absence, which also sees Alan Stubbs back in Scotland after Jack Ross buggered off to Sunderland, whilst those administration-loving franchisers from Livingston are here too, apparently still operating on a League One budget and also with a new man in charge, with Kenny Miller just appointed as player-manager. Elsewhere, can Neil Lennon's Hibs continue to dazzle or will the pragmatic Craig Levein see his Jambos restore "Natural Order"? Kilmarnock were a revelation last season once Stevie Clarke took over, so will be interesting to see if they can continue that great form, and Motherwell will have a bit of cash to splash having reached both cup finals. St Johnstone, Hamilton & Dundee will all be hoping to do better than last season's bottom-six finish. Have I missed anyone out?

In the Championship, Dundee Utd are spending big once again as they look to get back up at the 3rd (or is it 4th?) attempt. I'm sure Felicity knows. Mess it up this season and there might not be a Dundee Utd around for us all to laugh at next season. Ross County and Partick Thistle come down and I genuinely haven't a clue how they're looking (blameless - harry wraggs confident of bouncing straight back up?), whilst Alloa and Ayr come up from League One. Ayr, having scored something like 528 goals on their way to securing the title last season will be expecting to at least stay up this season, whilst Alloa will be hoping they fare better than last season's play-off winners, Brechin City, who didn't win a single league match.

Inverness finished last season really strongly after a dreadful start, but just missed out on the play-off spot to Dunfermline, whilst Paul Hartley will be expecting his Falkirk team to be challenging for promotion again having surprised most observers by being really shite last season. Queen of the South and Morton were the epitomy of mid-table pishness last season, and I've just found out that Morton have a new manager in Ray MacKinnon. Apparently Jim Duffy was sacked at the end of last season, which is something I completely missed.

In League One, this surely has to be the final chance for Raith Rovers to continue being a full-time team (Lang Spoon - expecting more pain this season?). They really should have won the title last season but cocked it up on the last day, and then rather predictably messed up the play-off. Dumbarton join Brechin from the Championship. And that's as far as my knowledge of League One goes.

In League Two - will the Blue Brazil finally lose the play-off and their SPFL status?

But the big question we all want answered is: Can Inverness defend their Diddy Cup now we have two additional foreign interlopers trying to steal our trophy? Welcome to the Diddy Cup, Sutton United and Boreham Wood.

If things work out well, I'll get to see Arbroath at Tannadice on Saturday.

Comment

I'm curious to see how this Stevie-Gee experiment pans out. I'm sure he sees this as a launchpad to his triumphant return to Anfield in 2021 followed by the inevitable Premier League title a year later. Personally I think he'll be out by January.

Comment

A good beginning for Scottish teams with Rangers winning 2-0, and Hibs prevailing 6-1.

Comment

I had the second half of the Rangers match on in the background and they appeared to make very hard work of it, needing an injury time penalty to seal the win.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-07-2018, 20:55.

Comment

I think Gerrard will be gone by Christmas. A poor start will finish him earlier.

Albion Rovers have went and signed a load of junior league players, so, I expect them to finish in the bottom two. A play-off will keep the excitement going for a little while longer.

Comment

blameless - harry wraggs confident of bouncing straight back up?

Genuinely don't know til Arch finishes building the squad, CYB - he normally leaves it late in any case, but since our budget's been shrunk by relegation he's having to shop around harder than ever. I think we've got 17 players under contract at the moment (and that includes the weans), and our season starts at Stenny in 41 hours' time. Still, we've hung onto Doolan and Chrissy Erskine at least.

Really hope the Buds stay up. Really hope Franchise embarrass themselves and are relegated by Easter.
              Last edited by blameless; 12-07-2018, 21:11.

Comment

3rd time lucky, it is.

Or not. It looks a tough league again. McKinnon will make Morton better and get points off us. Falkirk will compete this time and Ayr might well, ICT/Ross both strong and Thistle mibbes. We seem to have effectively filleted the Pars 1st team so they will be midtable.

If England had got to the final I was going to seek political asylum in Scotland so we could’ve had a Tannadeechay-thon, GO

Comment

His many fans will be pleased at an Andy Goram sighting. My brother met him celebrating the 12th in Carrickfergus last night

Comment

Well done CYB for getting this started, and a great intro to the season. My lot kick off in a couple of weeks with Burnley coming to Pittodrie in the Europa League early rounds - the first time we've played English opposition competitively in my time watching the Dons (but not the first time in my lifetime - we got a lesson off Liverpool in 1980, and handled Bobby Robson's Ipswich Town the following year). Domestically, the second place trophy we've made our own will be much harder to retain this year. We haven't done much in the transfer market, just a couple of standard issue McInnes signings (English lower league unknowns) so far. I've got my season ticket bought, but with AberDNA, the club's new stupidity tax on their fans, plus the new stadium madness, my mood is something along the lines of "make the most of Pittodrie while I can, then see what happens".

Comment

Are there highlights of Hibs' bizarre game last night available anywhere?

"Ten goals and an outbreak of fog - Hibs progress in eventful European tie"

Comment

A bit choppy, but atmospheric (especially later in the match)

Comment

John McGinn - playing amid interest from Celtic
                          Can you do something "amid" one thing?

Comment

Isn't that what pitch Invaders do?

Comment

Not too sure what to make of the League Cup, so far. St Mirren kicked off with an impressive penalty shoot-out bonus win over Killie then followed it up with another penalty shoot-out win, but this time having to come back from 2-0 down at home to Spartans. Not exactly a model of consistency.

Hamilton Accies are on 1 point after 2 games, whilst Dundee Utd keep losing their penalty shoot-outs and find themselves out already. Are some teams treating this group stage as glorified friendlies and just not giving a shit, or is it something their fans should be really worried about? At this early stage I'm not going to panic. Last season's group stage we got thumped 5-0 at Partick Thistle and after that game there was no way I'd have predicted how our respective seasons actually turned out.

Comment

Hope everyone has watched that Third Lanark docu on the iPlayer.

Comment

Thanks for that. Downloaded and watched it. I think due to the heat a bit of sweat must've run into the corner of my eyes....

Comment

It's a good one that. The old ground Cathkin Park is still very much intact and is well worth a visit.

Comment

Yeah, I hadn't realised how close to Hampden it is, could have popped by when me and Fussbudget went to watch Queen's Park a couple of seasons ago. Definitely want to have a look.

Different era I know, but it seems so odd no AFC Third Lanark was started at the time. I mean, they were basically a BRC. Sure, crowds will have been dwindling, but what happened to their fanbase? What did they do with their Saturdays? Go to Partick?

Comment

Cathkin Park, 13.03.2016., there was some event in nearby ground.

Comment

What did they do with their Saturdays? Go to Partick?

Quite a few did. The editor of one of the Thistle fanzines in the 90s had originally been a Thirds supporter, and used to have what he referred to as schizophrenic moments when recalling Thistle-Thirds games from the 60s - " I remember in 1964 when 'we' played 'us' "

Others went to either Queen's Park or Clyde, who were geographically the Hi-Hi's nearest neighbours at the time.

Comment

I've met a fair few of the H-iHi's whenever I've been to Pollok. I'd just assumed that most of them gravitated to there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/queensparkfc/status/1021856139447881733?s=21

Comment

Was just about to post that here. Spotter's badge to mirko, and well in Ray.

Comment

Please god don’t fuck it up this year Rovers. My da isnae getting any younger or healthier.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X