No announcement yet.

Treble Treble, Your Face is a Mess: Scottish Fitba 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke is confirmed as the new Scotland manager.

Comment

Good appointment. Top bloke.

Comment

Did I miss the significance of the "Bye bye Rangers" bit of Clarke's widely shared post-match speech yesterday? Was it just that it was a jibe aimed at them?

Comment

Ray- maybe not. Moments later he said it should be bye bye Celtic next term

And what Nocto said (even if I'm biased as a Chelsea supporting sometime fullback).
          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 20-05-2019, 15:49.

Comment

I remember Clarkey going around the local pubs after the last game of the season with a charity and a collection bucket. Can't see many players doing that these days; it was even unusual back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              I remember Clarkey going around the local pubs after the last game of the season with a charity and a collection bucket. Can't see many players doing that these days; it was even unusual back then.
              With the state of the Scottish national team, I can see him going round the pubs asking "anybody got a pair of boots and shin pads. Right son, you're in"

Comment

Haha.

I thought that Scotland was starting to get a few decent players together: Robertson, Tierney, Forrest, Fraser.
                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 20-05-2019, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                  Ray- maybe not. Moments later he said it should be bye bye Celtic next term
                  Yeah, I heard that too but what was either comment meant to mean?

Comment

It meant he wasn't imminently about to become either club's manager, especially The former's...

Comment

Clarke had previously endured abuse from Rangers fans. They accused him of supporting Celtic, probably based on which school he went to growing up in Ayrshire. In the zero sum game of CeltGers and RangTic anyone criticising either is claimed by the other and vice versa

Comment

As exemplified by this exchange

Me: Say what ye will about Nic Sturgeon- likes her football

Senior OTF Celtic Fan: Aye, she's a Hun!

Me: Ayr United actually [she's from Irvine, Clarke is nearby Saltcoats]

SOCF: There you are then

Comment

That makes no sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                            Clarke had previously endured abuse from Rangers fans. They accused him of supporting Celtic, probably based on which school he went to growing up in Ayrshire. In the zero sum game of CeltGers and RangTic anyone criticising either is claimed by the other and vice versa
                            Yes, I get all that and Clarke's general enmity towards Rangers. I just wasn't sure why "Bye, bye..." had any significance, was it just a reference to him leaving club management or something else?

Comment

As per my post above, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Yes, I get all that and Clarke's general enmity towards Rangers. I just wasn't sure why "Bye, bye..." had any significance, was it just a reference to him leaving club management or something else?

I presumed that some Rangers fans had stayed in the stadium at the end of the game and were barracking Clarke when he was trying to speak to the Killie fans, i.e. his remark was a polite "piss off home".

Comment

Yeah, I suppose so. I wonder why he said the same to Celtic as well but clearly it's just throwaway stuff.

The state of this shirt is not an auspicious start to his reign ;

https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1130789174926299136

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Yeah, I suppose so. I wonder why he said the same to Celtic as well but clearly it's just throwaway stuff.

I thought he hastily chucked it in for "balance."

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I thought he hastily chucked it in for "balance."
                                      So do I. He's subjected to 'sad fenian bastard' so can't resist a dismissive 'Bye bye Rangers' especially having just beaten them. He quickly realises that this may not be the best way to start his international management career, so clumsily attempts to 'even things up'.

Comment

In the post match interview he referenced the three stands still filled with Killie fans then looked at the then empty stand the Rangers fans were in. I think the 'Bye, bye' remark was a comment on the exodus. He then said that a full ground was his trophy. So I think that was primarily what he was getting at but he was also, I think, talking about sending them home beaten and that they should be doing it to Celtic as well. Unfortunately, I suspect they will struggle to do that with him gone, he really has done an outstanding job.

Great news for Scotland though.

Comment

I understand a significant proportion of the East Ayrshire Rangers support give allegiance to the GAWA anyway...

Met Killie resident sleb Kirsty Wark over the vols au vent at a BBC Glasgow fan vox Pop thing once. She told me "You'll never work in fcuking TV again".

She was right.

Comment

What's a GAWA, Dunc? I've heard only bad things from folk who've had dealings with La Wark.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              What's a GAWA, Dunc? I've heard only bad things from folk who've had dealings with La Wark.
                                              i'll guess at grey and white army (England).

Comment

Cheeky. It's Green AWA of course, Mr Curries of Dumfries.

KW was irritated because said mini-pastries were late, so took it out on me and the production assistant. Ill-mannered cow

Comment

Is that when she was presenting The Late Choux ?

Comment

Heh. May I filo that for later?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X