No announcement yet.

FA Cup 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking hell and I thought getting relegated to league one hurt.

Comment

My sympathies, mate. Football can be so cruel. You've got a terrific side though and there will be better days ahead.

Comment

I do have sympathy - but, y'know, chucking away a two-goal lead with ten minutes left...

Comment

Didn't Wolves lose a semi-final replay to Spurs in 1981 that would also have ended up with them playing Man City in the final? Watford as this year's Spurs, and someone to do a Ricky Villa in the final moments this year?

Comment

Yep, 3-0 in the replay at Highbury.

My money's on De Bruyne to score City's 'Steve Mackenzie' goal.

Comment

Comment

It was 66 years ago today.... a 'live' Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/FootballMuseum/s...10578047717377

Comment

Any players in that game still alive?

Comment

Obvs there's Brenda and Phil - but Doug Holden is apparently still going at 88.

Comment

Cyril Robinson of Blackpool is 90.

Comment

John "Johnny" Ball of Bolton is 94.
                        Johnny Wheeler is 90.

Edit - I think that's it, four out of 22 still going.

Comment

Pretty good going, I don't think anyone from the 54 world cup final is still alive (though I'll probably be proven wrong)

Comment

Correcting myself,Germany's Horst Eckel is still alive.

Comment

And the entire West Brom team that won in 1954 has died. For their opponents Preston, Tommy Docherty is still alive at 91. So The Matthews Final is possibly unusual in having four players still alive.

Comment

Strange (for me) that the Queen and Philip were 27 and 31 respectively, so very much of playing age. Used to them being older than everyone.

Is it a bit morbid to wonder which is the latest cup final team who are now all dead?

Comment

According to Wiki, everyone who played in the 1952 FA Cup final is dead and that's been the case since 2014 when Alex Forbes passed away.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    Strange (for me) that the Queen and Philip were 27 and 31 respectively, so very much of playing age. Used to them being older than everyone.

Is it a bit morbid to wonder which is the latest cup final team who are now all dead?
                                    Dunno but that's exactly what I'm looking for. Latest so far is 1952 (above).

Edit - sorry, that's the entire 22 (Arsenal and Newcastle). For one team, West Brom 1954.

Comment

Later still

Everyone's dead. Newcastle and Man City.
                                      Last edited by Kevin S; 03-05-2019, 12:52.

Comment

Man City - Bill Leivers had replaced Bobby Cowell in the side and Leivers is still alive at 87.
                                        Birmingham - still have two players alive: Gordon Astall (91) and Johnny Newman (85).
                                        Last edited by Kevin S; 03-05-2019, 12:53.

Comment

Aston Villa - Peter McParland, 85, the sole survivor
                                          Man Utd - fuck, this one hits you hard when you see all those records reading "Munich". Bobby Charlton is the sole survivor at a sprightly 81.

Comment

Bolton - Holden again, plus Brian Birch (81) and Tommy Banks (89)
                                            Man Utd - Charlton again and Harry Gregg (86)

Comment

Forest - only Jeff Whitefoot, now 85
                                              Luton - keeping it together well with Tony Gregory (81), Billy Bingham (87) and Ron Baynham (89)
                                              Last edited by Kevin S; 03-05-2019, 13:03.

Comment

Blackburn - five survivors: Bryan Douglas, Peter Dobing, Louis Bimson, MIck McGrath and Dave Whelan (yes, that one)
                                                Wolves - Ron Flowers and Gerry Harris are still alive

I expect that it's unlikely a later team than these is all dead, so am assuming the answer is 1955 at the moment.

Comment

Re: Luton '59, Brendan McNally died aged 76 in 2011. 76 now would have made him younger than Paul Allen, Norman Whiteside

Comment

And if you jump to 1971, then 11 of the 12 Arsenal players are still alive.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X