• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by longeared View Post
    PM for Nocturnal Submission.
    Replied.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      I'd love to know who the colour man was on Three Counties Radio's coverage of Luton v Wednesday last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46884754

I think he may have been sacked following his "Corner! That's a corner! THAT'S A CORNER!" outburst as he's not heard from again.
      That would have been John Moore, stalwart Luton defender in the 60s / 70s. The club finished 7th in Div 1 in his one season as manager in 86/7 which was the clubs highest ever league position and he resigned because he felt management just wasn't for him. He stayed with the club in various coaching and youth capacities for years afterwards and pops up a few times a season on the local BBC radio commentary - mostly mid-week games.

That outburst was fairly mild for him, I listened to the whole game and there were some absolute gems. My son was particularly impressed with one moment where he just bellowed "REFEREE! THAT WAS DISGRACEFUL! SEND HIM OFF!" to the point where I'm pretty sure they muted his mic for a couple of minutes after as punishment. Although he's 75 so it may have been for his own safety.

Comment

Oh that's brilliant, thanks for the info Voidoid.

Comment

SQUAD

Comment

Oh dear, Arsenal...

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
              SQUAD
              ?

Comment

Sign him up, Ed!

Comment

This could end 3-3, or 4-4, at the rate both sides are going.

Comment

Well, that certainly picked up.

Comment

Interesting vox pop in today's Grauniad that's worth eight minutes of your time -

Name all 13 fourth-round teams with animal nicknames -

Comment

(though I think it's possible to also argue 14…)

Comment

If they count "the Shrews" they can fuck the fuck off.

Comment

They do.

(Noted as "one of the unintentional ones")

Comment

At the Etihad, Jesus has put one past Pope...

Comment

Didn’t want the win the Cup anyway. *huffs*

Comment

Good news, Liverpool. City are slipping. Only the five today.

Comment

Man City have now scored 29 goals since last conceding one.

Comment

I was going to say “well, what do you expect when you spend £2bn on a football club” but the answer is “This. This is exactly what we expect.”
                                      Last edited by Snake Plissken; 26-01-2019, 19:54.

Comment

Tempted by
                                        a) Molineux, but a midweek game might be tough
                                        b) seeing if Newport can do Middlesbrough in their replay

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Comment

Please please please let Man Utd be drawn against Derby County. I want to see Frank Lampard fed into the OGS woodchipper.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Please please please let Man Utd be drawn against Derby County. I want to see Frank Lampard fed into the OGS woodchipper.
                                              I really really don't want to have to watch Derby AGAIN.

Comment

In the latest Chart Music podcast I recall how 30 years ago, in 1989, I was asked to take part in a celebrity football match. Anyway, much as in the Porridge film, the line-up was short on celebrities, hence the involvement of fillers like myself - the only celebrities as such who did play that day were Eddie Kidd and Richard Jobson.

It was a Sunday morning, and we were playing a Wimbledon team that included among others Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise. Bobby Gould was manager. He reffed the occasion, I seem to remember.

It was a chastening reminder of just how vast is the gulf between professional players and amateur cloggers. We were game but had they wished to, Wimbledon, a team considered pretty agricultural in the late 80s, could have kept the ball to themselves for the entire 90 minutes without us getting a touch. Even when the celebrity team had 22 players on the pitch, we still had problems getting the ball.

Then, at one point, the ball broke to me on the edge of the Wimbledon penalty box. I remember turning two spindly and desultory Wimbledon defenders, then firing the ball home past Vinnie Jones, in goal for some reason, who didn't even bother diving for it.

As I trotted back, flushed, I was even flusheder when Bobby Gould, first familiar to me as a card in a collector's pack of bubblegum said "Great strike, lad." It was the greatest moment of my footballing career; perhaps my life, perhaps not.

I recently returned to Kingsmeadow, where AFC Wimbledon currently ply their trade, to watch Arsenal Women trounce their Chelsea counterparts, and saw the trophy cabinet including, quite rightly, the 1988 FA Cup Final Winners' trophy.

Tuned in to the radio this evening. AFC Wimbledon were 2-0 up. West Ham pulled it back to 3-2 before young Toby Sibbick headed in to make it four.

The story of AFC Wimbledon is one of the game's true morality tales, the sort of tale all too rare in these times. I hope Wimbledon fans are going absolutely mental with delirium right now. This has been one of the great footballing days. And I hope everyone involved with MK Dons is feeling every last inch of the emptiness of their footballing souls.

Comment

Richard Jobson.

When I heard that I thought you were talkig about the lad who played for Oldham and leeds? Wikipedia disambiguation was my friend there I think.
                                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-01-2019, 23:13.

Comment

Blimey eh?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X