Juraj Halenar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juraj Halenar

I don't know if this news has been covered in the British media, but it might be of particular interest to Celtic and Rangers fans. Unfortunately, it is tragic. Juraj Halenar, a key member of (the then) Artmedia Bratislava's 2005/2006 Champions League squad, and scorer of a hatrick in the famous 5-0 qualifying win over Celtic, was found dead in woods near Bratislava yesterday, aged just 35. It is apparently suicide, he had wounds to his left wrist, though police are 'not ruling out' the possibility that someone else is involved.

Halenar is the independent Slovak league's record goalscorer, one of (I think) only two players - Filip Sebo is the other - to have played in the top league for the 3 top Bratislava clubs (Inter, Artmedia and Slovan) and won 5 Slovak league titles ; in 2008 with Artmedia (who he joined in the summer of 2005, just before the Celtic tie), and 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014 with Slovan. I have a season-ticket at MSK Zilina, and Halenar was a pantomime villain here. Zilina were rivals for the title in most of the years he won it ; indeed he scored what were effectively title-deciding goals here in 2008 and 2009. He was one of those players you always fear, and wish he played for your side.

Terribly sad news, and thoughts go out to his young son and other close ones.
Working...
X