Hollerbach's Knackwurst - Bundesliga 2018/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollerbach's Knackwurst - Bundesliga 2018/19

The new Spielplan is out. Bayern start the season against Hoffenheim.

Better: in the 2. Bundesliga, HSV begins life in the second tier against Holstein Kiel. Not too long ago, there were worlds between them. Now it's a derby. Köln start at VfL Bochum.

The "best ever third division" kicked off on Saturday, and ARD, which is showing live games this season from BL3, broadcast Kaiserslautern's late 1-0 win over 1860 in front of 41,000+. A few highlights, but it was very much third division football that I only watched because I was immobilised and too idle to move from the couch.

Astonishingly, FSV Frankfurt started off their Regionalliga Südwest campaign with 3-0 win at last season's champions, Saarbrücken. Bring on the summer optimism, later to be crushed by the first falling leaves.

Comment

For anyone interested, here's the complete game to that Kaiserslautern - 1860 game https://www.sportschau.de/fussball/b...spiel-100.html

Cracking atmosphere for a third tier match and I thought I'd need to watch via a VPN, but looks like they don't really give a rats nads for BL3.

As for 2. Bundesliga, I like to look out for Dynamo Dresden after seeing them on the tele back in the late 80s beating Aberdeen in the Uefa Cup. They got a shout at promotion this season?

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
        Cracking atmosphere for a third tier match and I As for 2. Bundesliga, I like to look out for Dynamo Dresden after seeing them on the tele back in the late 80s beating Aberdeen in the Uefa Cup. They got a shout at promotion this season?
        Dresden usually spent their time bouncing between the 2. Bundesliga and the 3. Liga. That they didn't get relegated last season counts for something I guess, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Originally posted by imp View Post
        The "best ever third division" kicked off on Saturday, and ARD, which is showing live games this season from BL3 …
        Does this mean us folk who watch the 3. Liga regularly should feel blessed, what with a couple of 'big clubs' gracing our presence?

Anyroad, a good win for Haching away and 1860 getting beaten made for a pleasant football weekend. (I was actually invited to the latter, but made my excuses.)

Comment

Alphonso Davies — the seventeen-year-old Bayern just paid Vancouver $13 million for — had a statement game for the Whitecaps this past weekend. A preview of what the Bundesliga might expect:

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
            Alphonso Davies
            He could be the new Dale Jennings.

Comment

That was a cracking hat-trick from Davies - thanks for posting, AdC. But as always there's the question of how he'll perform against teams that can actually defend. I mean, those guys look like they've been paid by Bayern Munich to stand back and politely watch him increase his marketability.

Comment

Alphonso Davies was born after OTF. Let that sink in, kids.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                  That was a cracking hat-trick from Davies - thanks for posting, AdC. But as always there's the question of how he'll perform against teams that can actually defend. I mean, those guys look like they've been paid by Bayern Munich to stand back and politely watch him increase his marketability.
                  Yes, all the resilience of wet toilet paper. But this wasn't a one off, he does that type of thing every match, just not as frequently. Earlier this year, a German journalist Christoph Biermann published a book titled Matchplan. — not sure if you're familiar with him or it. Biermann pointed out that Davies was, statistically, the most likely prospect in the world to become a superstar in the mold of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. In sixty years of football I've only regularly watched one other youth player who I instantly felt could be a top international star, Gerry Francis who debuted for QPR as a seventeen year old. A different type of player than Davies in all kinds of ways, but from the moment they stepped on the pitch both looked as if they'd arrived at the place they were meant to be. They didn't so much learn from the experience as absorb it.

I can't predict what the future holds for Davies. Mostly I hope he avoids serious injury. I'm glad he's gone to the Bundesliga — even if it is Bayern — as I think it's the best of the major European leagues at nurturing talent. I'm happy I'll be able to watch him from a distance, and I'll treasure the memory of his first three years in Vancouver.

Comment

HSV getting dicked at home by a team from Schleswig-Holstein. Like.

Ever since HSV went down, the local BILD-Zeitung has had a daily countdown thing on the sports pages. "Only another <xxx> days till they go back up!" I fear they may have to start doubling the current number.

Comment

Not just dicked at home:

HSV - Holstein Kiel 0:3

It was the first league meeting between the two sides in 55 years. The last time they met, in Januasrty 1963, it was a 1-1 draw in Kiel. The last time they met in Hamburg, in November 1962, HSV won 3-2 (after being 3-0 up). But earlier that year Kiel won 2-1 in Hamburg, having lost the home game in 1961 6-2.

Comment

Really impressed by the No.7 (Lee?) for Holstein Kiel, at the heart of everything and one of those performances that brings a smile to your face.
                        Not to sure about the HSV sweeper-keeper experiment, at times he seemed to be playing as a third centre-half?

Comment

He's probably a better centre-half than David Bates.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                            Really impressed by the No.7 (Lee?) for Holstein Kiel, at the heart of everything and one of those performances that brings a smile to your face.
                            Not to sure about the HSV sweeper-keeper experiment, at times he seemed to be playing as a third centre-half?
                            South Korean Player of the Year, apparently. Looks like a good bit of business.

Comment

1860 fans as classy as ever

Comment

Stumpy, what's up with Haching's ground?

I'm watching the match against Rostock and the lateral stand is almost completely empty, with huge advertising banners attempting to cover the voids.

Also notable that Hansa Rostock have quite literally parked their bus a few metres from one of the corner flags.

Comment

If you had "HSV will bounce back after their humiliation at home to Holstein Kiel", please redeem your tickets.

Sportverein Sandhausen 1916 0 - Hamburger Sport-Verein 3

Comment

Best thing about Stumpy's link is the German as under the story with a pic of Benny off Crossroads in.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Stumpy, what's up with Haching's ground?
                                      They closed the east stand for safety reasons (although I'm not sure what they are). I think there are issues if it's full to capacity. There's talk of the club buying and rebuilding the east stand and to earn money by renting out the space underneath.

Although apparently they're going to open some of it for the derby against 1860.

Comment

Some questions for those who know the set-up for attending games in Germany:-
                                        I'm currently planning a 40th birthday weekend in Freiburg over the last weekend in November. Birthday girl is a Football fan, t'Internet says that Freiburg are at home that weekend vs Werder Bremen. So this might be worth including. The game is currently down as Saturday 24th, 14:30. This would probably work, but if it went on to Friday evening say, it definitely wouldn't. Given that Freiburg are in the First League, their games are presumably moved around at the whim of TV; how far in advance does Germany arrange this? I'm not seeing Freiburg vs Werder as prime TV fodder, but there always seem to be a few games televised each weekend, including Fridays and some Mondays. So presumably it could get shifted.
                                        If it does stay on Saturday afternoon, how easy is it going to be for tourists to buy tickets? I've got the feeling that Freiburg used to play in a pretty small ground (~20,000) but they moved into something larger recently. If I'm not making that up, does this bigger venue still sell out? When would tickets go on sale, and how far in advance is it advisable to buy them? Also is there a need for a fan card or similar to buy them?

Thanks in advance.
                                        Last edited by Janik; 13-08-2018, 01:05.

Comment

As a general rule, Germany are much better about this kind of thing than Italy or Spain.

The standard pattern this season is one match on Friday night, two on Sunday, and the rest on the traditional Saturday. Those kick-off times have already been fixed for the first six match days (all of September) and I would expect them to be fixed at least a month in advance going forward.

Freiburg now has an on-line ticket sales facility on their website. They are currently selling tickets for their two home games in September. Members get first priority, but the first match has already gone on open sale. While that first game in the new ground has sold out, I’d expect something to be available for Werder and suggest you check back in late September/early October.

An alternative to consider is to write the club (English will be fine) and explain your situation. They have a reputation for being especially accommodating to foreign visitors.

It is a great city in a beautiful region. You will have a great time.

Comment

Don't forget that asof last season there are now also the occasional Monday night matches, accompanied by the protests of the fans.

Comment

We are old school. If it isn't Saturday afternoon, we won't be going. This isn't political mind, it is just how it fits around other planned activities that are fixed days/times and more important than potentially watching some Football.
                                              Also ground-hopping is not of interest to most of this group. It's 1. or 2.Bundesliga level or bust.

Have the authorities shown some consideration, i.e. not allowed the TV companies to scheduled Friday evening or Monday evening slots for games where away fans have a trek of hundreds of miles, such as from Bremen to Freiburg?

Comment

There aren’t any Monday matches in September, and I’m not sure when (or if) they will start. Monday night matches are, however, a regular feature in the 2. Bundesliga, which may be why G-Man is focused on them.

From the schedule so far, it is hard to know what factors are used in determining which match gets moved to Friday, but the most distant Friday matchup so far seems to be Bayern-Hertha.

Freiburg is many things, but it isn’t a great base for groundhopping. The closest high level clubs are in Strasbourg and Basel.

Comment

I was watching the tail end of the Bayern vs Eintracht Frankfurt yesterday; at the end of the tie, when a Frankfurt player removed his shirt, he was wearing what I can only describe as a sports bra. Have I missed something here?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X