No announcement yet.

Return of the Macc - Division 4 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of further interest to HORN, his other club, Port Vale, have appointed John Askey who Shrewsbury dumped back in Octember (can't remember exactly when) as manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
      One that HORN will appreciate - a long read on Newport County and Welshness.
      That is a fun read. Probably captures a bit more about Welshness as lived in Wales compared to how it's thought to be lived.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Of further interest to HORN, his other club, Port Vale, have appointed John Askey who Shrewsbury dumped back in Octember (can't remember exactly when) as manager.
        Ha. Have we indeed? He was tipped for it, reportedly because he’d do it for less than 40K, though that could be nonsense.

Comment

Are all inflatable dicks circumcised?

Fourth division highlights: NSFW.

Comment

Yes, if Lee Angol's return to Sincil Bank didn't ire the trolls enough, John Akinde's penalty miss certainly has. Some absolutely ludicrous comments made online. My favourite is an instagram account that has only been reactivated in the last few weeks that rates the players after every game. For the last few weeks, regardless of whether we've won or drawn, Akinde is given the lowest rating because "he doesn't do enough" or "doesn't look like he's trying". He managed a '6' against Bury, but that was only "cos of the Sky cameras". Maybe it's run by Matt Rhead's mum?

Comment

Oh, this is just delightful on so many levels ;

https://twitter.com/ECFCFAN19/status/1094558341823688704

Comment

Paul Scholes gave a gloriously honest and typically understated interview to BBC North West after his first training session as Oldham's new manager. I'd really like to see him do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                  Paul Scholes gave a gloriously honest and typically understated interview to BBC North West after his first training session as Oldham's new manager. I'd really like to see him do well.
                  I don't get this with Scholes. He is clearly a bit arrogant. Stopped playing for England because he couldn't play where he wanted to play, came out of retirement at Man U because he didn't rate high enough the current players (at the time) or any of the youngsters coming through enough to do a job. People get get carried away with his 'I don't do interviews mantra' as some sort of qualification that he's alright.

Comment

Wasn't he right about the England setup and about his replacements not being good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                      Wasn't he right about the England setup and about his replacements not being good enough?
                      One of his replacements was Paul Pogba who decided there was no place for him at United after Scholes came back so you could make a case that he cost them £80 million however the good things he did far outweigh that, when it comes to England, turning up for games to see fat Frank and Slippy G getting picked no matter what would try the patience of a saint.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post

I don't get this with Scholes. He is clearly a bit arrogant. Stopped playing for England because he couldn't play where he wanted to play, came out of retirement at Man U because he didn't rate high enough the current players (at the time) or any of the youngsters coming through enough to do a job. People get get carried away with his 'I don't do interviews mantra' as some sort of qualification that he's alright.
                        He was right about England, though, and it was Ferguson who coaxed him out of retirement rather than Scholes simply bringing himself back to the squad at his own behest (which would never have happened in Ferguson's tenure anyway). I just think he's honest. When asked about the Oldham job he recognised the pitfalls of taking a 'home town' job, not least being seen as a local hero before he's even started. He showed he was enthusiastic but realistic which is pretty much where he should be pitching it. He's reticent but nobody's fool.

Comment

His biggest immediate problem now will be dealing with the owner's interference in team selection. Two of our best players - on paper at least - have been banished to train with the youth team for no discernible reason. And a third player has allegedly been dropped to avoid triggering a contract extension.

Still, a 4-1 over a rough Yeovil side last night was a very good start. He coaxed a goal out of the not-what-he-used-to-be Jose Baxter, and the maligned left-side pairing of Nepomuceno and Branger-Engone tore Yeovil to shreds.

Comment

Went to watch Carlisle at Crewe last night, still fuming now.

Slack defending saw us a goal down in 3", then Jamie Devitt needlessly and stupidly stuck a foot under the body of the prone Perry Ng who milked it shamelessly as if he'd been volleyed in the head, only to get up unmarked and smirking just before the ref sent Devitt off. We managed an equaliser, played reasonably well thereafter but conceded the winner to ex-Blue Shaun Miller. The ref was absolutely hopeless, terribly inconsistent, making mistake after mistake (much like our players in the first 20 minutes). Top marks to the Crewe sponsors who trolled the extremely grumpy travelling support by awarded man of the match to Ng.

We're still in the playoff mix, but we've got a tough game on Saturday against the Franchise wankers without our chief playmaker in Devitt.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                              Went to watch Carlisle at Crewe last night, still fuming now.
                              Great opening line to a long rant poem, as read by Mark E Smith or John Cooper Clarke. Write it!

Comment

That MKDons video is a pure treat. Echoes of Exeter City v Norwich in the FA Cup when it comes to quick goal replies.

Comment

Still not recovered from listening to City throw away a two goal lead, and the opportunity to go even further clear at the top. Notts had done us a great favour beating Mansfield and we'd somehow got ourselves into a 2-0 lead at home against an average side, without playing anyway near our best. In fact, based on the local radio commentary Stevenage had the best chances of the first 30 minutes before we had two chances cleared off the line. Great to see Bruno Andrade in fine scoring form, that's 4 in 3 since coming back from suspension and each one of his goals has been fantastic. However, throughout the match it was clear that Stevenage's ploy was to get the ball to Ilias Chair their loanee from QPR as much as possible, and let him twat the ball from distance. He must have had five or six efforts before cutting the deficit with about 10 minutes left. You'd think the players might have learnt their lesson and put a man on him, but he was allowed to cut inside again and buried it past Smith to equalise. Either side might have won it in stoppage time, with Chair again striking from distance.
                                  Four straight draws then and getting a bit concerned about our home form. Massive game against Exeter coming up (our game in hand) which is a must win, and then really difficult away games to come. Cowley's expressed his disappointment and said that a couple of players haven't performed as well as they should. Frankly, I think pushing Bozzy into midfield to accommodate Bolger has been detrimental. Bostwick doesn't have the mobility in midfield and his partnership with Shackell at the back was excellent. I'm sure Bolger is an excellent defender but surprised he's been put straight into the first XI. Feel we miss O' Connor in midfield (he did come on) and doesn't sound like Frecklington has had the best form recently. What with Anderson's suspension, it's odd that Tom Pett is brought in to play on the wing, despite him not a natural wide player. It's not a crisis until we start losing games on the bounce, but plenty food for thought.

Comment

I’ve quite enjoyed Notts County’s struggles at the foot of the table, especially in light of their cash-splashing and premature firings of Nolan and Kewell. However I fear it won’t be long before they overhaul Port Vale who seem poised to step into non-league. Vale’s hopes of arresting the slide rested on Neil Aspin being given funds to bring in some decent forwards but as the transfer window clock wound down no money was forthcoming, Aspin resigned, and the chairman did what he’s done previously and signed a few from the lower divisions of mainland Europe.on the recommendation of whichever agent is wooing him these days.

Comment

I would disagree that the sacking of Nolan was premature. His awful, attritional route one football was tolerated while Notts were getting results but the wins had dried up by the start of last year and they limped into the play-offs to be brushed aside by a far superior Coventry side. Nolan's disastrous start to this season represented a more extreme version of the form and results of the second half of last season.

Yes, the appointment and quick dismissal of Kewell was farcical but in Neal Ardley, whether by luck or judgement, they seem to have stumbled on someone who actually knows what he is doing. They made some astute signings in January (particularly Doyle and Mackail-Smith) and 7 points out of the last nine against strong opposition in Lincoln, Forest Green and Mansfield is a testament to their improvement. Like you, I think they'll avoid the drop.

Comment

Yeovil seem in freefall, and Morecambe ought to be wary of both Macc and County's revival. However, I expect Lincoln will fuck up next week away to Morecambe as well.

Comment

Another fantastic win for the Mariners despite the game sounding like it was terribly dour. Huge match versus Swindon on Saturday now.

I think Lincoln's wobble has shown how strong they are. January and February have been, relatively speaking, terrible for them yet they are still top and clear by a few points. Difficult so see an implosion coming on.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                            Yeovil seem in freefall, and Morecambe ought to be wary of both Macc and County's revival. However, I expect Lincoln will fuck up next week away to Morecambe as well.
                                            Was discussing this with my brother yesterday - Yeovil (having seen them recently) certainly do look to be in freefall and Morecambe don't seem to have the form of Notts County of Macclesfield. Probably 5 teams in it (if you include Port Vale) for the drop.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                                              Another fantastic win for the Mariners despite the game sounding like it was terribly dour. Huge match versus Swindon on Saturday now.

I think Lincoln's wobble has shown how strong they are. January and February have been, relatively speaking, terrible for them yet they are still top and clear by a few points. Difficult so see an implosion coming on.
                                              I listened to the start of the second half whilst driving from Gloucester to Tewkesbury and, frankly, I'm glad I got home and turned the radio off.

Cheltenham seem to be sleep-walking to the end of the season and, given they're not even remotely safe yet, this is a very dangerous strategy to have.

They have two big home games this week, tomorrow against Cambridge and Saturday against Vale, and two wins will see me relax a little bit more. Fortunately Yeovil don't seem to want to sack Darren Way, regardless of the drop so I think they've got one of the spots. I'm just hoping Morecambe, Macc, Notts or Vale don't catch the Robins.

Comment

Are Yeovil unwilling to sack Way because of the length of his contract and therefore the size of the pay-off?

Comment

They gave him a new contract earlier this season despite the majority of the fanbase wanting him gone. Then there was the meeting with the Supporter's Trust which wasn't minuted and details of which have been denied by the club - including Way saying something along the lines of Yeovil being lucky to have him. There's a Yeovil fan on another forum I frequent and he likes to point out they have won 2 home games in the last 12 months and their record in the last 25 games is, by some distance, the worst in League 2.

This was posted on the Cheltenham forum on Sunday: http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/stat...p?FormGames=26 - they are 11 points worse off than Notts County and Macclesfield.

Comment

Can either of our Lincoln correspondents see the Imps slipping up and Bury nipping in for the title?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X