No announcement yet.

Return of the Macc - Division 4 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With respect to Cheltenham fans here, I really thought they were awful against us today. Lincoln didn't do enough in the final third (particularly first half), but we were very comfortable at the back all game. In the end we're thankful for the OG for the opening goal, but it was deserved and McCartan certainly deserved his goal through sheer persistence throughout the game. Still top, despite not playing our best but we were never in serious trouble defensively. Still had to listen to twats moaning that we weren't winning (and demanding big Matt Rhead came on), just before the first goal. They probably think that for the money we paid for Akinde, he should score every game. Granted he missed a great chance in the first half, and inadvertently blocked a goal bound shot in second, but his strength, movement and pace is excellent. I feel a little for Matt Green not getting a look in, but his time will come again.

Comment

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
        With respect to Cheltenham fans here, I really thought they were awful against us today. Lincoln didn't do enough in the final third (particularly first half), but we were very comfortable at the back all game. In the end we're thankful for the OG for the opening goal, but it was deserved and McCartan certainly deserved his goal through sheer persistence throughout the game. Still top, despite not playing our best but we were never in serious trouble defensively. Still had to listen to twats moaning that we weren't winning (and demanding big Matt Rhead came on), just before the first goal. They probably think that for the money we paid for Akinde, he should score every game. Granted he missed a great chance in the first half, and inadvertently blocked a goal bound shot in second, but his strength, movement and pace is excellent. I feel a little for Matt Green not getting a look in, but his time will come again.
        I thought first half we held on for dear life along with the first 10 mins of the second half, after that we finally looked like getting something going when we were sucker-punched by the goal.

After that any confidence we had, which wasn't much anyway, was completely drained and we never even remotely looked like getting back into it.

I'm not surprised by the result, or the performance, Lincoln were a class above, but I'd happily forego yesterday's defeat if we beat Morecambe on Tuesday evening.

Comment

In recent away games Newport have kept things tight, winning their last three, conceding just one goal.

Then there’s their psychedelic home form in the last three matches:

Yeovil L 0-6
          Cambridge W 4-2
          Macclesfield D 3-3.

Comment

You do need to factor in to that that Cambridge appear to be abysmal this season. Now in the bottom 2...

Comment

How long has Dunne got do you reckon Janik?

Comment

Aaaand breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                  Aaaand breathe.
                  Carlisle's "performance" was typical of those I've seen this season - quite neat in possession but no attacking edge, continually getting bogged down in passing around in triangles out wide without a lot of idea what to do next, easily defended by the opposition who realize they just need to pay attention and close them down, and a mistake will come eventually. We had more chances as the game went on, but could have played all night and still not scored. Three home games without a goal, including a missed penalty.

Grimsby played well though, quite well organised in defence and pacy on the break - two in particular gave us problems, the central striker and the wide left (wouldn't quite say winger) - I can't offer any more detail than that as I can barely keep track of the names of Carlisle players never mind the opposition.

It's going to be a long run in til Christmas for us with this squad, the only plus point from last night was Mike Jones returning off the bench, displacing whichever young loanee from Fleetwood we were relying on to run the midfield at that given moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                    Carlisle's "performance" was typical of those I've seen this season - quite neat in possession but no attacking edge, continually getting bogged down in passing around in triangles out wide without a lot of idea what to do next, easily defended by the opposition who realize they just need to pay attention and close them down, and a mistake will come eventually. We had more chances as the game went on, but could have played all night and still not scored. Three home games without a goal, including a missed penalty.

Grimsby played well though, quite well organised in defence and pacy on the break - two in particular gave us problems, the central striker and the wide left (wouldn't quite say winger) - I can't offer any more detail than that as I can barely keep track of the names of Carlisle players never mind the opposition.

It's going to be a long run in til Christmas for us with this squad, the only plus point from last night was Mike Jones returning off the bench, displacing whichever young loanee from Fleetwood we were relying on to run the midfield at that given moment.
                    Yes, I think you are talking about Wes Thomas - who I thought held up the ball well when he could up top (I, I am somewhat ashamed to say, watched on ifollow) and JJ Hooper who has had this role for most of the season where he has to drop in on the left when we are defending. He is not quite a striker but not an out and out winger either. Any joy you had in the second half from open play came from the right where he was meant to be. He kept getting caught out of position e.g running back towards defence rather than attacking the ball. But he is being asked to be a defender in that situation which is definitely is not. I don't like our tactic of keeping 11 back at corners and set pieces around our own box. We did this under Slade too. We clear the ball and it comes straight back as there's nobody there to challenge or hold it up.

With all the negativity online - and not having seen us since Newport away - I was expecting far worse but I thought we were good value for the 3 points.

Comment

Annoying defeat at Tranmere last night, particularly as we dominated the first half without perhaps creating too many outright chances. Goal was really soft too, simple ball over the top after Shackell got himself out of position and Norwood nipped in behind.

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                        (I, I am somewhat ashamed to say, watched on ifollow).
                        I was tempted to myself, despite having a season ticket - it was almost worth £10 not to trek down there and back. I'm going to try it for an away game at some point, even though I think the per-game price is too expensive. I'm hoping one of the local pubs gets its act together and starts showing them, so I can put the £10 to better use.

Comment

Last gasp equaliser for us last night at home to Morecambe after what is being called a terrible performance. That young sprite (the first player older than me to play for the club in the last 3 years) Luke Varney getting both goals on his home debut.

We have a squad of 29 at the moment and it needs trimming quickly. Unfortunately, only 3 or 4 of them appear up to standard. We need two team worse than us at the moment, fortunately, Macclesfield just haven't got going and Cambridge have been dreadful (even we beat them). When they change managers could be our undoing though.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            How long has Dunne got do you reckon Janik?
                            I think I mentioned before the season that I expected him to be sacked by Christmas. That is now looking optimistic. Unless there are clear signs of improvement in the next three games, then the board will need to act.

Comment

I wouldn't say easily dealt with by Grimsby- there were lots of people holding their breath/squealing anxiously around me as Carlisle held posession around the box (very impressively at times- don't knock it too much). The BBC stats had 20+ shots - can't say i remember that many, but the keeper had a few saves to make and the header against the bar was a huge let off.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                I wouldn't say easily dealt with by Grimsby- there were lots of people holding their breath/squealing anxiously around me as Carlisle held posession around the box (very impressively at times- don't knock it too much). The BBC stats had 20+ shots - can't say i remember that many, but the keeper had a few saves to make and the header against the bar was a huge let off.
                                I can't remember 20+ either, though a few speculative efforts may have counted. I'm probably looking at it from the perspective of the last three games overall, where it's been a familiar pattern that we can hold a lot of possession around the box, and even look good doing it, and achieve very little.

If we have any Maccelsfield lurkers on here then hold tight folks, we're coming along in a couple of weeks to end your winless streak.

Comment

I can't remember 20+ either, though a few speculative efforts may have counted. I'm probably looking at it from the perspective of the last three games overall, where it's been a familiar pattern that we can hold a lot of possession around the box, and even look good doing it, and achieve very little.

If we have any Maccelsfield lurkers on here then hold tight folks, we're coming along in a couple of weeks to end your winless streak.
                                  It should be noted the performance was typical of our season so far in that we were pretty good in the first half and not so good in the second. The exception being on Tuesday that we managed to keep a clean sheet! Fingers crossed we can build on it tomorrow.

Comment

Big fella in front of us kept roaring 'Who's the out ball?!', ingoldale, clearly chiming with your comment above about defending too deep.

Comment

It seems to be a fairly current tactic though. I seem to recall Liverpool doing it on a couple of occasions v Chelsea last weekend and I have seen clubs in non-league and the League do it over the last few seasons. I fail to see that the benefit completely outweighs leaving 1 or 2 up. Especially when you consider Grimsby's defensive record since Slade took over and we initially started doing it.

(I'd be interested to know other people's thoughts)

Comment

I saw Dulwich Hamlet the other week and they kept three up when defending corners and they were away from home. They didn't suffer from it, indeed it meant their opponents Slough kept four back so the penalty area was far less crowded affording their keeper and defenders a clearer run at the ball which happens less and less with all the crowding and blocking that is commonplace at corners nowadays.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-10-2018, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          I saw Dulwich Hamlet the other week and they kept three up when defending corners and they were away from home. They didn't suffer from it, indeed it meant their opponents Slough kept four back so the penalty area was far less crowded affording their keeper a clearer run at the ball which happens less and less with all the crowding and blocking that is commonplace at corners nowadays.
                                          Yeah, my dad has employed this when coaching Skegness Town to good effect. I quite like it as a tactic. If I were the attacking team i.e the one taking the corner I'd gamble though.

Comment

Two on the bounce! Seemingly we played some nice football in parts too. Hit the post and had a goal disallowed so worth the three points it seems.

Comment

Cardiff Met also brought all 10 outfield players back for corners and set pieces around the box yesterday.

Comment

We've all seen Nicky Maynard's first goal for Bury, haven't we?

https://twitter.com/buryfcofficial/status/1048907767220785153

We have now.

Comment

3 clean sheets in a row! The last time we did that was Nov/Dec 2017. Decent result against Exeter too.

Comment

The ref completely ruined the game between Lincoln and Cambridge yesterday for sending off City's Ellis Chapman for a really soft late tackle (if that). I've seen it several times, it's a 50-50 between him and the Cambridge player and I still can't fathom how the ref decided to give a straight red, without consulting either the fourth official or his assistant. It's barely a yellow, and in fairness to Cambridge they've said they'll help with appealing against it. Ref also missed a blatant penalty to the visitors apparently, the standard of officials is so, so bad. Very happy with a point after playing for 70 mins with 10 men, but losing a few players to injuries and I think we might have to move Michael Bostwick to centre mid for cover.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X