No announcement yet.

Return of the Macc - Division 4 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic second half performance from Lincoln today after a pretty stale first half. Crawley were surprisingly useless despite having much of the ball in the first half. Think they might actually be worse than Yeovil. Andrade scored a neat opener before the break, turning in an Eardley cross, City then dominated from the re-start but couldn't grab a second until Shay McCartan ran through the Crawley defence, and Cian Bolger added a third with a free header. What with Grimsby doing us a favour and keeping Bury at bay and Mansfield losing again, it was a rather wonderful afternoon.

Comment

Ryan Lowe, manager of the season. Wasn't sure when he was named but my god, those doubts have been blown out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
        Ryan Lowe, manager of the season. Wasn't sure when he was named but my god, those doubts have been blown out of the water.
        LOL.

Voted for in January, which is why there are 4 Mansfield players in the Team of the Year and no Bruno Andrade.
        Last edited by RobW; 27-03-2019, 13:45.

Comment

Not really been tabs on the Cods, but I recall John Welsh's arrival was greeted with much fanfare, and I hadn't realised he'd been released last week, or that he'd broken a woman's leg.
          The ex-Mariners and Liverpool FC midfielder asked the woman 'do you know who I am?' before kicking her to the floor

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

LOL.

Voted for in January, which is why there are 4 Mansfield players in the Team of the Year and no Bruno Andrade.
            Bury have hardly slumped since January though. Picking the club up from its worst-ever season in this way has been nothing short of incredible. I'd have been satisfied with one place above relegation at the start of the season.

Comment

Not really been tabs on the Cods, but I recall John Welsh's arrival was greeted with much fanfare, and I hadn't realised he'd been released last week, or that he'd broken a woman's leg.
              Bloody hell, "Do you know who I am?" is a tough question coming from him. Even I would have had to check Wiki to confirm who he was (Liverpool youth/reserve under Benitez, Hull, Preston... didn't know he'd gone to The Cod'eads....)

Comment

The fanfare was more from people from his former club Preston saying what a great player we'd got and fans getting excited about that. He played the first game, did well, then didn't really feature after that. There is much speculation as to whether the club knew about the impending court case, and whether his contract was due to be terminated as the result of any potential conviction, or that it has coincided with them agreeing to end his contract as his legs have gone (due to not playing much at all for last 4 years).

Either way, what a tit.

Comment

Quite apart from anything else, Who the fuck would drink eleven pints of shandy?

Comment

Tom Pope’s late penalty in a 2-1 win at Northampton was his hundredth goal for Port Vale. He’s only the third Vale player to reach three figures.

Comment

By all accounts, the GTFC players are on holiday already.

Comment

Well, City created enough chances first half to be a couple of goals up. I missed Macc's goal by going to the bog (seeing it on highlights, absolutely horrific defending) and then Neal Eardley scored a peach of a free kick to make it 1-1. Second half was absolutely hopeless though and Macc probably had the better chances. Piss poor frankly, but at least Bury lost. Worried about the trip to Franchise now, and hope the players can buck their ideas up.

Comment

If the scores could stay as they are right now, that would be terrific thanks.

Comment

If the scores could stay as they are right now, that would be terrific thanks.
                            God bless you Cambridge.

Comment

God bless you Cambridge.
                              Terrific wins for Cambridge and Oldham. Now, what motivation if any was needed for the Imps on Saturday against those Franchise bastards. Win and go 11 points clear.

Comment

God bless you Cambridge.
                                Bury ceased to be rivals to Lincoln a while ago now. Financial instability at Gigg has returned with a vengeance over the past couple of days.

Comment

Cambridge were utterly appalling on Saturday*, and I thought looked exactly like a relegation team. So last night's result was very unexpected. Nine points clear with six to play sounds like it should be enough for survival, but without major changes to the squad in the summer next season will be just as bad, if not worse.

* - lost 1-0 at home to Colchester to a goal deep into stoppage time. However, the lateness was unrepresentative of the game - Colchester had dominated and deserved a more comfortable victory. Cambridge were completely feeble, barely having a shot in the game and none at all in the first half. Not even a tame or wildly off-target effort. Nada.

Comment

Wes Thomas has played his last game for the club. He has been told to stay away after an altercation with Michael Jolley following the game on Saturday according BBC Radio Hullberside.

The wheels have come off.

Comment

He's an odd one is Wes Thomas. He came to Cheltenham in 2010 for peanuts from Dagenham and for 6 months was absolutely outstanding. He then decided that he wasn't going to sign a new deal because he wanted to be closer to London. That summer he signed for newly promoted and free-spending Crawley for (according to our then chairman) 3 times what we were prepared to offer - and we were middling in terms of budget in the league at the time.

Since then he's had 10 clubs and the longest he's stayed at a singled club was Oxford between 2016 and 2018. He's never bettered his single season goals record than his one season at Cheltenham either. When a player, who is clearly very talented, can't stay anywhere for longer than a year (by and large) then you have to question his temperament or his advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Bury ceased to be rivals to Lincoln a while ago now. Financial instability at Gigg has returned with a vengeance over the past couple of days.
                                        There’s speculation on the Newport messageboard that Bury’s highest earner is on 20K a week. I’d be surprised if a prudent L2 club owner would pay even a tenth of that but maybe I’m out of touch.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post

There’s speculation on the Newport messageboard that Bury’s highest earner is on 20K a week. I’d be surprised if a prudent L2 club owner would pay even a tenth of that but maybe I’m out of touch.
                                          That's massively overblown, but one of the figures I heard flying about was £7,000 a week for a man who's spent more time of his contract sitting in a Sky studio than on the pitch. One former director lives near one of the player's former managers and told him who we'd signed.

"How long is his contract?" said the former manager.

"Two years," said the former director.

"Yeah, you'll get about 15 games from him," came the reply.

And of course, we weren't a prudently-run L2 club under Stewart Day. He and I are are a similar age, lads who'd play Championship Manager on our PCs. There was always lad who'd come into school on a Monday and say "I was Aylesbury and I got them to the Premier League, won it, won the European Cup and built them a 100,000 capacity stadium." Stewart Day wanted to do that in real life.

Comment

Agent fees paid by League 2 clubs from Feb 2018 to end of Jan 2019 https://twitter.com/JonPalmerSport/s...71102780755970

Comment

What a lovely day had by all.

So, rather than get pissed at Euston/Bletchley I went to Bletchley Park and had a good 2 hours there not understanding a thing about mathematics and codebreaking. Saw some lovely code machines though. Anyway, had quite enough of that, and my leg was aching even before the hour or so it seemed to take to walk to the stadium.
                                              Terrific atmosphere as you can imagine from 5,500 City fans, compared to the seemingly sparse home end and their paper rattle-things they club together. The official attendance was over 15,000, but honestly it didn't look like there were 10,000 home fans.
                                              Tom Pett has been magnificent over the last few weeks in central midfield and would be my MOTM. Looks so assured on the ball, calm, picks a great pass and retains possession. Yesterday though he also timed his tackles largely to perfection, as did Mark O' Hara
                                              Probably one of Akinde's best games for City too. Took his pen with typical coolness, held up the ball and drew defenders out of position. Andrade's finish in the 92nd minute was just wonderful and sent us into raptures. Brilliant victory, brilliant results elsewhere and we can seal promotion next week at home.
                                              Sufficed to say we celebrated well yesterday evening, and the Asda next door to the ground did a roaring trade.
                                              Last edited by RobW; 07-04-2019, 19:43.

Comment

Macc look set to become the first club in the promotion/relegation era to go straight back down. Difficult to research but as far as I can tell it would be the first one-season stretch in the FL since Middlesbrough Ironopolis 125 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                                                  Macc look set to become the first club in the promotion/relegation era to go straight back down. Difficult to research but as far as I can tell it would be the first one-season stretch in the FL since Middlesbrough Ironopolis 125 years ago.
                                                  Nah. They've got Exeter this week at home. There is no conceivable way that they'll not beat Exeter. Exeter always lose these. Always. Put your mortgage on it. Take out a second mortgage and put that on it too. 4-1 Macc.

Comment

Seriously. Get a third mortgage. It's basically free money.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X