No announcement yet.

Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brentford's just taken over two minutes to decide which of four of them were going to hit the Villa wall on the shins.

Comment

Norwich having a spot of difficulty with the Cyberdog.

Comment

A magical night under the lights at GP as John Terry's Aston Villa are put to the sword by Neil Maupay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          We've won once this year, and are still outside the relegation zone. That won't last the week though...
          Teld yer.

Comment

Saturday was a good day. Albion beat villa 0-2. I saw the lego movie 2. I didn't even have to use my AK.

Comment

You seem to be forgetting a result that made it a great day . . .

Comment

Yes, Saturday was great, Sunday less so. Curses on you ursus, for retroactively spoiling my weekend.

Comment

The Football League makes up the rules as it goes along, to keep our whingeing rivals happy and spare their blushes at being less thorough in their pre-match research! Never mind, onward and upward. Leeds, Leeds, Leeds!

Comment

West brom 0 Sheffield united 1. A well worked goal but poor defending.

Comment

The hand of Rod again. This time the ref spots it so it stays 0-1.

Comment

Seven league loses in a row now. It's hard to believe this is the same team as a month and a half ago.

Comment

Albion miss Harvey Barnes at home. Perhaps even with him they'd have struggled to break down Sheffield United, who were superbly organised.

Comment

Apparently Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers) has scored 3 times directly from a corner this season.

Comment

How many points have Ipswich now lost out on due to goals scored after the 90th minute? It seems like loads.

Comment

We managed our biggest win of the season as we crushed Swansea 3-1 on our glorious march to mid-table nothingness. Only one defeat in eleven now since the change of manager - amazing what happens when you play your best players in the right positions. Lot of excitement about that performance so obviously we'll lose at home to Brentford on Tuesday night now, especially as I'm going.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                  How many points have Ipswich now lost out on due to goals scored after the 90th minute? It seems like loads.
                                  Only four. The two points lost yesterday added to last-minute defeats at Rotherham and at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Our uselessness has generally been confirmed in the opening 89 minutes.

We've even managed to gain two points with 90th minute goals - equalisers against Blackburn on the opening day and against Stoke last week.

Comment

Not posted for a long time, but really couldn't let this season pass without comment on the astonishing turnaround at Carrow Road. Mid table was the realistic finish with all the family silver being sold off for millions. Call it luck or design, but some of the incoming transfers over the last eighteen months have proved to be outrageous value. A pittance paid for the likes of Pukki, Buendia, Leitner, Vrancic and Zimmerman, plus the kids from the academy or picked up from the lower leagues (Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell, Godfrey). It's a side put together for peanuts, which given how skint the club was is an incredible achievement.

In terms of the quality of the football, this is the most attractive and fluent Norwich side since the days of Mike Walker and the UEFA Cup. That's not to denigrate the fine sides or players overseen by Nigel Worthington and Paul Lambert, but this squad has a beauty about the way they pass and move. Defensively, they can make you tear your hair out, but the midfield and attack and can be absolutely devastating when on form. It's not uncommon for us to score three or four goals a game, but it's not often we keep a clean sheet either. It is relentless in terms of drama but really not good for the nerves.

This is our one shot really. We're top by a very fine margin but with a reasonably kind run-in and a now fully fit squad having suffered a run of injuries over the winter. Blow this and it's goodbye to most of this team and probably manager Farke too. I see parallels with Shrewsbury's situation this season if promotion doesn't come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      Seven league loses in a row now. It's hard to believe this is the same team as a month and a half ago.
                                      Well played, AdeC, well played. And thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                        Albion miss Harvey Barnes at home. Perhaps even with him they'd have struggled to break down Sheffield United, who were superbly organised.
                                        Yes, we haven't won at home since Boxing Day. Leicester recalled him on January 1st (lot of good he's done back there).

I was going to respond to Arturo's post yesterday to say that it looks like Norwich are the only club who look a shoe in for the automatic promotion spots. The rest of us are just bumbling around. Or, as Mark Lawrenson used to say 'After you, Claude.' The Leeds match tonight is a case in point. We've got them this Friday at Elland Road.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Well played, AdeC, well played. And thanks.
                                          Didn't see tonight's match. Sky games aren't streamed, anyway I was teaching. Always nice to beat Leeds though, and it sounds like Luke Freeman made a massive case for a move to the Premier League this Summer, and he certainly deserves one, sad as we'll be to see him go.

Comment

Well, after the embarrassing capitulation at Brentford seemed to have put paid to any faint hope of the play offs, a win last night keeps things minutely interesting. Win again on Saturday and we've avoided relegation at least.

Of course, the off field situation continues to dominate hearts and minds, as last night saw the lowest league crowd in 17 years, and that was our second last game at Boothferry Park against Boston (!). More stalling on contracts means several players and possibly even the manager could be taking off in the summer. And the owners continue to sit on their hands, while simultaneously having their fingers in their ears.

Hull City is a club without any redeeming qualities at the moment, and it's hard to see where and when it improves any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post

Yes, we haven't won at home since Boxing Day. Leicester recalled him on January 1st (lot of good he's done back there).

I was going to respond to Arturo's post yesterday to say that it looks like Norwich are the only club who look a shoe in for the automatic promotion spots. The rest of us are just bumbling around. Or, as Mark Lawrenson used to say 'After you, Claude.' The Leeds match tonight is a case in point. We've got them this Friday at Elland Road.
                                              I'm a bit shocked at that Albion stat. I guess their away form has masked the home slump somewhat, but I was mightily relieved we grabbed a point at the Hawthorns in January. That was a huge confidence boost at a time when we were wobbling and could have steered both sides in different directions had we lost.

I'd love to think we are a shoe-in, but there's a quarter of the season to go and we're only two points clear with a squad who've largely never been in this position before. However, we have only lost twice since October and it is only our rotten start to the season that has stopped us extending our lead. We're well capable of doing it, but nobody is openly saying it yet.

Oh, and seconded about QPR. Thanks for the assist last night!

Comment

Brentford's worst performance of the season getting well-beaten at Sheffield Wednesday. Mokotjo was injured in the warm-up to be replaced by Josh McEachran who has been the highest earner at the club for 4 years and during that time has contributed virtually nothing. I shall be glad when his contract runs out this summer.

It's got to be a poor evening when the only consolation for me was a QPR win and that was only because it was Leeds they beat.

Comment

Saturday's meeting will be interesting for both clubs. Does the win against Leeds mean we go on a winning streak again (our March schedule looks pretty comfortable.) Or will Brentford return to form and make us look as inept/unlucky as we have been in the previous seven league games?

Comment

If we play like we did against Hull or in the first half against Swansea, we'll win comfortably. If we play like we did against Wednesday or in the second half against Swansea, you will.

I see that the referee is Keith Stroud. The best we can hope for is that he'll be equally shit for both sides.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X