Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Agnew View Post
    Kev loves us, really.
    The worrying thing is, I think you're right. And if I've got my real names and OTF names lined up correctly then I would like to compliment you for a fine article on gambling sponsorship in sport in Turnstile Blues, too.

Can't offer too much on Pennington, myself, other than when Hurst played him at right back, it was an odd decision, given that he's a stopper, rather than useful going forward, yet no-one questioned this yesterday when Lambert tried him.

Amazing what three months, and a new manager can make. Not to mention that Jordan Spence has gone from a useful full-back, who looked like he could be converted into a decent centre-half, to someone now making the lists of worst Ipswich player ever.

The rumours mill reckons that we're paying £500k for Judge, which was baffling on many levels before reading Cantagalo's comment. Still, if you're going to pay well over the odds for someone with a few months left on their contract, it might as well be for someone that was fucked over by the worst challenge you've ever seen one of your players make.
    Yeah, the hounding of Spence on Twitter and the Radio Suffolk phone-in took me by surprise. I thought he wasn't bad, and a refreshing change to have a real right-back in the team (remember those years of Carlos Edwards, Jamie Peters and god-knows-who-else filling in when the club didn't even have a proper RB?). Pennington did the defensive work solidly on Saturday but the flipside was that Lankester had to make everything happen by himself on that flank going forward. Spence was far more willing and able to make himself useful in attack. So Town's threats generally came from the Sears & Elder left (or a hopeful ball up to Quaner).

Worryingly, there was a fair bit of negativity towards Chalobah*, whom my family think is the bee's knees. He's a 19 year old basically carrying the non-existent midfield of a struggling team. It's a hell of an ask, but you can see the technique and vision the lad's got. If he was on loan at (say) Middlesbrough he would be looking like a nailed on future England player.

Now, the lad who came on for Lankester (Simon Dawkins) was actually awful. In 15 minutes he gave away several free kicks and I think his only touch was to win a throw-in.

* again, not so much at the ground, but on the media afterwards.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 14-01-2019, 13:40.

Comment

Plus points though:

- A win's a win. Just seven-ish more to get, somehow.
      - The atmosphere was very good, with the flag-waving contingent of the Lower Bobby/North stand in fine voice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
        If he was on loan at (say) Middlesbrough he would be looking like a nailed on future England player.
        His big brother was, and didn't, but was as it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

Brentford were utterly brilliant today. Defensively solid again but this time with all the early-season attacking, liquid football. There was a comedy own goal from Shawcross plus beautifully worked efforts from Benrahma and Henry.

A measure of their dominance was that Stoke managed just two shots (one of them Afobe’s excellent strike) and apparently, just one touch in the Brentford area. They were abysmal and Nathan Jones has a tough job on his hands.

Now who were those idiots calling for Thomas Frank’s dismissal?
          Ah, wonderful. Glad they've pulled it together, and thanks for the reply; I'll pass the message on!

Comment

With the attraction of mega cheap train tickets and a day on the cans, I ended my 1,708 day boycott of games yesterday for our trip to Villa, and it speaks volumes of how batshit this season has become that we were genuinely disappointed to come away with 'only' a draw, with a few home supporters admitting afterward that we deserved a victory. Turning point was De Wijs going off, coupled with an atrocious award of the free kick from which they scored just before half time. I'd be concerned if I was a Villa fan though, as they were decidedly average, and it was good to have it confirmed that Yannick Bolasie is still hilariously overrated as a footballer.

Comment

So Town's threats generally came from the Sears & Elder left

I am intrigued by Callum Elder, as I think he's 24 and had never played a senior game till Ipswich loaned him, which seems fairly uncommon (had been in the Leicester development system all that time). Is he alright then?

Comment

He's had five Football League loans prior to this. He turns 24 on Wednesday.

Comment

He was at Brentford at the start of the 2016-7 season. Can’t say I was particularly impressed but he got injured after a few months. I’m surprised Leicester have kept him on their books for this long.
                  Last edited by cantagalo; 21-01-2019, 00:29.

Comment

After the Pogba/Uno story, here's another 'Lovely footballer' one :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46950567

[url]https://twitter.com/Phil_Daley/status/1086318884708380672[/url][URL="https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46950567"][/URL]

Comment

His favourite film is Pocahontas.
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 24-01-2019, 23:06.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

Apparently he (Bruce) decided to have a extended Christmas and New Year break with his family following the deaths of both his parents over the previous 12 months. Which is fair enough.
                        He's found a nice way to end the break too, fair does :

"I managed to track down the new Sheffield Wednesday manager Steve Bruce yesterday - he's here watching the cricket before he takes up the job next week."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06z1c3f

Comment

Roy Keane officially becomes Forest's assistant manager. The fans on the twitters seem very happy about him being back at his first English club. I decided to have a quick look for some footage of him playing for Nottingham and found this lovely moment from the 1991 FA Cup Final.

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Comment

They do say it's a dangerous lead, 3-0 with 8 minutes to go...

Cheers, Villa. That'll do nicely.

Comment

cheers Villa indeed!

Comment

QPR have somehow managed to be 4-0 down by half time at home to Birmingham City.

Comment

It's Mac, he's not very good during January or February.

Comment

We're awful. League form has dropped off a cliff since the New Year. Pulled a goal back just before HT but it won't be enough.

Comment

Well we've got another one at the beginning of the second half, so maybe there's a bit of hope

Comment

Nailed on 4-4 now as this IS the Championship.

Comment

Perhaps. 3––-4 now with ten minutes left. Great game.

Comment

Not to be. We missed a penalty in the 90th minute. Ho hum.

Comment

We've won once this year, and are still outside the relegation zone. That won't last the week though...

Comment

I distinctly remember looking at the league table around Christmas and being more than satisfied with Bristol City's W8 D8 L8 record. I really feared for us this season after losing 3 of our best players and mid table mediocrity was fine by me.

Since then they've won 7 straight, conceding only 2 goals and are firmly ensconced in the play off places. So much so that I'm actually starting to hope. The problem with City is that there's now a pattern of brilliant spells like this followed directly by catastrophic slumps with the manager going from hero to having his job on the line.

Er, next up, after Wolves in the Cup, Norwich away.......

Comment

Ipswich concede after two minutes at home to Derby. This season has been one long catastrophic slump, thought without a relative highpoint from which to decline. I would say relegated by Easter, but as it falls late this year I'm going for mid-March.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X