No announcement yet.

Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sir Wesley of the Hoolahans has signed for WBA.

Comment

Good for him, good for them.

Comment

I don’t want to jinx things but Brentford really are playing some wonderful football - the 2-0 scoreline against Wigan again failed to reflect our dominance. It is a complete mystery to me that fewer than 10,000 people were there to witness it.

Paul Cook was generous in his post-match comments. He said the only positives he could take from the game were his goalkeeper’s performance and the fact that he doesn’t have to come to Griffin Park again this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
          From my admittedly distant and ill informed position, I fear for Bristol City this season.

I think the club appears generally healthy, but It looks to me like the guts have been ripped out of last years team.

Then again, I was worried for them this time last year, and look how that turned out.

I'm really enjoying the Bielsa thing. Possibly the most interesting football story this season.
          Well, since I wrote this, City have won four games on the trot and moved up to 3rd.

So, I still maintain that we are actually not that good, and long may the run continue.

Comment

Reports from yesterday's game seem to suggest that Ipswich were utterly awful, and that Tommy Elphick looks useful. Also, some of our fans are already using the 'definitely 3 worse teams than us' line. This is now what we are.

Comment

It would be rude to see that John McGinn goal and not acknowledge it here. My word, what a strike.

Norwich meanwhile have won three in a week and are looking a lot more purposeful with the ball at last. Pukki grabbing the headlines but young NI left back Jamal Lewis is looking better each game.

Comment

https://youtu.be/e-Gi0Wkvd0I

Comment

That McGinn goal looks even more amazing from behind him

https://twitter.com/SoccerSelects/status/1043644088967344128

Comment

That really is a lovely goal.

Comment

Great goal but he definitely shins it.

Comment

Meanwhile, Reading won!

Comment

And we were cheated once again by Forest.

Comment

Ipswich will be relegated.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                              Ipswich will be relegated.
                              Do you reckon Hurst will win a match before getting the elbow?

Comment

Obviously hoping to be wrong but I can't see a win before the end of October. QPR at home the only slight possibility. I'm not sure the owner cares enough to sack the manager and pay him out. This has looked all along like a get ready for relegation strategy, as daft as that would be.

My main issue here is the alienation of academy produced players to fit in signings from the lower divcisions who don't appear to up to championship standard. That's long-term damage being wrought.

I was never a Mick fan and I never saw this as either Mick or relegation. I'm not sure the owner has any idea about running a football club. He missed his first target, failed to persuade Lampard and settled for third best.

We're failing to win against the teams who we'll be fighting it out with at the bottom. That's going to bite us later.

None of this is searing insight of course. From the very first game it was obvious we lacked quality and experience. Now it is apparent the bloke in charge doesn't know what his best formation is, never mind who his best players are.
                                Last edited by Uncle Ethan; 26-09-2018, 00:50.

Comment

It's that lack of consistency in personnel and formation that is the most baffling thing for me. It's as if Hurst is a management novice, randomly trying out anything he can think of, rather than a manager with plenty of experience and success elsewhere. A couple of poor performances seem to have caused him to panic and abandon his philosophy.

Marcus Evans' post-Mick interview felt like it contained a lot of sense in terms of bringing through the academy players, recruiting sensibly and introducing a consistent way of playing throughout the club, from youth teams to the first team. But with Hurst we now have virtually all our own youngsters out on loan, 12 new players being chucked in and out of a team that consequently has no cohesion and the U23s playing fluid passing football while the first team have reverted back to lumping it forward. On the face of it, it looks like Hurst is doing the exact opposite of what Evans wanted. So either Evans's interview was full of bullshit, or Hurst is not the right man to fulfil the owner's aims, which would make it a rather bizarre appointment.

It's certainly all a bit of a mess. I am glad Mick left, but I must say I expected the club to make a better fist of the change. A season of struggle was not unexpected, but the apparent lack of any plan was not. Can any of the Shrewsbury fans reassure us that Hurst always adopts this bizarre scatter-gun approach but that everything turns out OK in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    Ipswich have got Jonathan Walters back on loan. Great coup, that.
                                    Out for six months with a ruptured achilles. Rotten luck for Jonny - you fear that might be a career-ending injury at his age.

Comment

Rotten luck, or another element of terrible management? He was sent on as a sub when he wasn't fully fit and pulled up five mins later...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                                        Can any of the Shrewsbury fans reassure us that Hurst always adopts this bizarre scatter-gun approach but that everything turns out OK in the end?
                                        Um, no. He very quickly steadied the ship when he came in. Generally his team was consistent, well organised and started winning games which is why he kept Shrewsbury up.

Of course he couldn't make signings straight away when he joined because it was mid season. He brought in some players in January and then a few more in the summer. So last seasons third placed team was built over time.

I don't think he helped himself by waiting until just before the window closed to sign Toto and Nolan. (That's really damaged Shrewsbury as well)

I can't speak for all Shrewsbury fans but Ipswich felt like an odd move, no offence. It was a higher division but that's about it. If it was ambition he might have been better at one of the big fish in league 1 like Sunderland or Portsmouth, and taken them up.
                                        Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 27-09-2018, 08:22.

Comment

Since there was rightfully love for Mcginn's goal against Wednesday last week, I think it only fair that we similarly rave about Adam Reach's goal for us a few hours ago

https://www.buzz.ie/football/watch-a...elieved-301149

Comment

Superb. And an S Club 7 earworm to boot. Great stuff.

Comment

Wowsers.

Comment

Wonderful!

Comment

Aye that's a good un.

Comment

You'll have Fussbudget singing 'Reach for the goals' again and I don't think that's fair.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X