No announcement yet.

Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lampard's Derby start with a 2-1 win over Someone's Reading. Very late winner that they only deserve because Reading's kit has dreadful faded hoops around the back.

Comment

That and Moite being an absolute prick.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
        Lampard's Derby start with a 2-1 win over Someone's Reading. Very late winner that they only deserve because Reading's kit has dreadful faded hoops around the back.
        To be fair, last season's was worse.

Comment

And in the grand tradition of opening weekend fuckups, Quest are broadcasting the highlights in 4:3.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            And in the grand tradition of opening weekend fuckups, Quest are broadcasting the highlights in 4:3.
            And certainly looks SD on my telly, to boot.

Comment

Struggling to decide which is worse; the picture quality or the standard of defending in general.

Comment

Also it was good to see that Jordan Rhodes hasn't suddenly located his finishing boots for Norwich.

Comment

Not the right division (or even league) I know, but just saw the below on the BBC website and was immediately put in mind of the recent discussion on this thread. Frank Lampard's Derby of course have their Scottish counterparts in the shape of the man whom he allegedly couldn't play alongside for England:

Comment

My unscientific study of that sort of thing made me notice comments on The Guardians Football League games.

The Football League round up - circa fifty comments.
                    Bristol City v Nottm Forest match report - circa fifteen comments
                    Reading v Frank Lampard's Derby County - over two hundred comments

Plus L'Equipe gave a match report, pretty sure that's fairly rare for a second tier game in England.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      To be fair, last season's was worse.
                      Continuing the theme, last night's game between Sheffield United and Swansea featured another pair of horrendous kits - the Blades playing in far-too-much white, Swansea in god knows what colour.

Evidently they couldn't decide whether it was against Reading or Watford, which has at least triggered a few comments. One commentateur Français appears to discard the Hornets nickname for the far superior 'Elton Johns'.
                      Last edited by SouthdownRebel; 05-08-2018, 05:34.

Comment

Sheffield United looked like Fulham from a distance.

Comment

Given the picture quality, I genuinely couldn’t work who was the home team.

Comment

The channel is A Tripe Called Quest

But at least it reminded of this track, which is is a gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrlJX7DzLhI
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-08-2018, 09:34.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Reverend View Post
                              My unscientific study of that sort of thing made me notice comments on The Guardians Football League games.

The Football League round up - circa fifty comments.
                              Bristol City v Nottm Forest match report - circa fifteen comments
                              Reading v Frank Lampard's Derby County - over two hundred comments

Plus L'Equipe gave a match report, pretty sure that's fairly rare for a second tier game in England.
                              Continuing the theme, last night's game between Sheffield United and Swansea featured another pair of horrendous kits - the Blades playing in far-too-much white, Swansea in god knows what colour.

Evidently they couldn't decide whether it was against Reading or Watford, which has at least triggered a few comments. One commentateur Français appears to discard the Hornets nickname for the far superior 'Elton Johns'.

L’Équipe.fr, like a few others, generally employs interns to write these brèves (very short items/pieces), often aspiring, all-round journalists who might even dislike football and may know bot all about it. Could explain the "Derby vs Watford" clanger (couldn’t have been Watford as they’re not in the same division, D'oh!...).

Had the writer checked of course, (s)he would have noticed the discrepancy with the lead-in para above the photo which gets it right but I know for a fact that a lot of these interns, bloggers etc. working for L’Équipe.fr and others often become tired of these €500 a month internships (that’s when they work full time and are paid at all of course, legally they should be paid at least €500/month F/T but there are loopholes), frustration builds up when after a 3-year journalism course the only thing they can get their hands on is a succession of stages(internships, work placements) and unpaid work, and that frustration can lead to disengagement and a couldn’t-care-less attitude. I know, from people who work in journalism in France, that the websites of the big papers & mags (in France at any rate) are particularly bad for that, and sometimes their paper versions but particularly their sites (ditto publishers or publishing houses).

That said, there seems to be an awful lot of people too who write poorly or unoriginally but think they should be generously recompensed for their averageness.

Comment

No, the commentateur in question (DesJoursCommeCa) is answering another comment (rom.G) who is (understandably!) very confused by that Derby-Reading-Watford three-way game, and by all the nicknames, and asks for help: "On est sensé savoir qui sont les Rams et qui sont les Royals qui peut m'aider?" (= Are we supposed to know who the Rams and Royals are... Please help [me to understand]".

In his slightly confusing reply, DesJoursCommeCa writes that Watford’s owner is Elton John (not anymore of course but that’s how Watford are known and remembered in France by many).

Comment

I thought that might be it PF, thanks for the clarification. I may still refer to Watford as the "Elton Johns" from this day on though.

Comment

Hello everyone. Thought this was the best thread to ask: we do have a Brentford fan or two in these parts, don't we? Because I'd like to take my father in law to a match when we're over in October, and they play Bristol City on what I hope will be Saturday 20th (because if it's on the Sunday or Monday we'll have left London already). I had hoped for West Ham v Spurs until I saw the ticket prices/how many season tickets West Ham have sold (I thought their fans didn't like the Olympic Stadium?!). Are tickets for Brentford on the day going to be hard to come by? And if not, does anyone fancy meeting for a pre-match pint with me and an Argentine gentleman who doesn't speak any English?

Comment

(As you can see, I eschewed the idea of jogging my memory regarding who that Brentford fan might be by reading the previous pages of the thread before posting.)

Comment

Mixed bag from Ipswich. Started well but are worse at possession football than the Socceroos. A young side though and they stuck in there to grab a jammy equaliser. The new boss needs time and backing (ie cash) from the owner. It might also take a while for some players - notably the keeper - to not automatically launch the ball into the stratosphere in the traditional Mick method.
                                        PS: Rhodes will score against Ipswich. Nothing is more certain.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                          Mixed bag from Ipswich. Started well but are worse at possession football than the Socceroos. A young side though and they stuck in there to grab a jammy equaliser. The new boss needs time and backing (ie cash) from the owner. It might also take a while for some players - notably the keeper - to not automatically launch the ball into the stratosphere in the traditional Mick method.
                                          PS: Rhodes will score against Ipswich. Nothing is more certain.
                                          Has the elusive Marcus Evans shown more interest in his club of late?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                            Hello everyone. Thought this was the best thread to ask: we do have a Brentford fan or two in these parts, don't we? Because I'd like to take my father in law to a match when we're over in October, and they play Bristol City on what I hope will be Saturday 20th (because if it's on the Sunday or Monday we'll have left London already). I had hoped for West Ham v Spurs until I saw the ticket prices/how many season tickets West Ham have sold (I thought their fans didn't like the Olympic Stadium?!). Are tickets for Brentford on the day going to be hard to come by? And if not, does anyone fancy meeting for a pre-match pint with me and an Argentine gentleman who doesn't speak any English?
                                            I could be your man here.

Tickets will be difficult to come by as Bristol City will sell out the away end (it only holds 1500) and the club will only sell to those with a previous purchasing history but I could sort you out.

You’ll have a far better time than at the Olympic Stadium (the football will probably be better as well) and you’ll have possibly your last chance to watch a game from the terraces in the top 2 divisions here. And there are several excellent pubs I could take you to.

Comment

That all sounds brilliant, cantagalo, thanks! I shall slide into your PMs ...

Comment

Originally posted by Pérou Flaquettes View Post
                                                Has the elusive Marcus Evans shown more interest in his club of late?
                                                Evans gave an interview after McCarthy's departure. It was through the club's own media so was somewhat stage-managed, but nonetheless some significant issues were dealt with. He came across well, I thought.

He's probably more popular than he has been for a while. Paul Hurst was exactly the kind of managerial appointment the fans wanted, and money has been made available for Hurst to make the sort of signings the fans wanted - players who have had success in the lower leagues and who are keen to step up. Significant fees have been paid for Jonai Donacien from Accrington, Gwion Edwards from Peterborough and Ellis Harrison from Bristol Rovers. Shrewsbury pair Toto Nsiala and Jon Nolan look set to join today, and there are bids in for others. These purchases are of course funded by the £10m or so received for Adam Webster and Martyn Waghorn and some fans will always want us to spend more, but it is generally felt that Evans is allowing Hurst to do things his way.

Most fans still expect us to finish in the bottom half and there could well be a relegation battle. But after years of stagnation under McCarthy, that will be accepted. It is just refreshing to see a different approach. There is a feeling that Evans has finally recognised the need for change and has taken positive steps to make that change happen.

Comment

Did anyone watch the first match of the Bielsa revolution? Going by the scoreline and the match reports, it was impressive.

Comment

Why are there two Championship matches tonight? The rest of the round plays on Tuesday 22nd/Wednesday 23rd.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X