No announcement yet.

Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having said relying on Rotherham was a deluded hope, I have to say that listening to an interview with their manager just now, which made me remember one with him on the opening day of the season, he's an absolute gem. A lovely bloke. I leave it to Gangster to tell me if he's actually a decent manager.

And Statto, don't go. I'm not even sure if you're wrong on this. More people like Leeds than actually let on. And I always liked what you wrote. I still have my Eddie Gray no. 11 sock tags, btw.

Comment

Edit: wrong thread
      Last edited by Paul S; 05-05-2019, 15:30.

Comment

Statto had half a point though. The Villa rage was because they thought the ball should have been played out; they were angrier with Kilich than Roberts (if we judge by the grabbing and tugging). Not playing the ball out when an opponent goes down makes them hypocrites. That's regardless of whether they feign to put it out or not.

And Ray, you can't tell other people to let it go and move on when you're out getting stationery printed.

Comment

Is this the first time that each of the four teams in the playoffs have been champions of England (13 among them, by my count)?

Comment

We battered Middlesbrough in the second half, but could only score one. Sorry.

Comment

Hey Siri, show me a metaphor for Leeds in the run-in:

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                And Ray, you can't tell other people to let it go and move on when you're out getting stationery printed.
                That was a photoshopped image, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  I hope so. But with Ray you can never be sure.

Comment

He almost hit the "Roofe" with that one! X-D

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                      Kind of, from Vistaprint's "Design your own business card thing on their site. I presumed Patrick knew it wasn't real but was just entering in to the spirit of things.

Has cantaglo actually gone/taken a break or did I misread him? I hope not the former.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-05-2019, 12:14.

Comment

If I could find the thread about awful penalty misses, that would have to be on it.

Comment

Norwich's open top bus breaks down during the victory parade. Hopefully not an omen for next season's campaign.

Comment

Hourihane can't be charged with the same thing as Bamford, though. Indeed, unless the FA have another offence than "successful deception of a match official", there isn't anything they can get him on. The difference between two two may be Bamford is a more successful thespian, but that did change the way the rest of the game panned out - Villa were down to 10 for violent conduct, Leeds were not. And charging on outcomes rather than intent is quite a standard way for justice to proceed. The criminal charge of Dangerous driving carries a maximum sentence of 2 years imprisonment. Causing death by dangerous driving - 14 years. Same behaviour and intent from the perpartrator, but a different outcome that was not under their control at all leads to a very different punishment. See also a single punch being affray (if that) if the other party walks away with a bruise, or murder/manslaughter if the punched party goes over backwards, hits their head on something hard and suffers a fatal injury.

The other problem with the Hourihane one is that we are guessing somewhat that there was contact, as all camera angles are obscured at the crucial moment in time. He probably punched, pushed or slapped Klich based on what can be seen and if he did he is very lucky not to have either been sent off or banned, but 'probably' does not get you convicted. He could argue that there was no actual contact, and while we would rightly be pretty skeptical of that defence (though less skeptical than of, say, Wayne Hennessey!), we wouldn't have any video evidence that could disprove the claim. Bamford, however, was bang to rights. Everything lined up in his case to get him the ban his behaviour merited.

Comment

Apart from every single fucker who claims to have suffered whiplash after the other vehicle has gently tapped their rear bumper.

Comment

Ah, that misunderstands the victim here. Remember it's "successful deception of a match official". The victim here is the assistant referee, who was conned. As Hourihane succeeded in conning no-one, there is no victim. Just as in plain Dangerous driving, there is no-one dead.

We might agree that the FAs statutes are dumb for being written in this way. But they are not being inconsistently applied.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Has cantaglo actually gone/taken a break or did I misread him? I hope not the former.
                                  Think it's Statto99 who's flounced, not Cantaglo.

Comment

I was referring to this :

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

You're right. I've carried this on far too long. Apologies.

Time I took a break.
                                    Ironically, that was after an extended set to with statto, I'd rather he hadn't gone too but that only seemed to be heading one way.

Comment

I read that as a break from that particular discussion, rather than the whole board. It remains his most recent post, though...

Comment

I'm also confusing two separate incidents. Or three, because Hourihane was out of control for a good while.

1) He grabs Klich by the collar and aggressively confronts him. Some have argued this was worthy of a red card in itself. Possibly, but it isn't reviewable as the ref saw it and deemed it worthy only of a yellow.
                                        2) The incident caught but not quite caught on film because Grealish is in the way. His elbow goes back and forwards. Presumably he punch or pushed Klich. The big problem here is 'presumably'. The video is inconclusive, and that would still be the case if Klich had gone to ground rather than staying on his feet. Without clear video evidence that actually shows violent conduct rather than asking people to infer it, which I've not yet seen anyone produce, there is no way for the FA to charge this.
                                        3) A Villa player, identified by Statto as Hourihane, ends up on the deck during the melee. The claim was Hourihane dived to try and get a Leeds player in trouble for violent conduct, i.e. the same as what Bamford was banned for. The key difference here being that, if that was what Hourhihane was trying, he failed. No Leeds player was sent off. So there is again nothing to charge him for.

Is Hourihane very lucky that the camera angles worked for him when they didn't for Bamford? Assuredly. But the FA can only work with what they have got, which is clear evidence of cheating by Bamford and ambiguous evidence of what probably was violence from Hourihane.

Comment

Now that the season has come to an end, it's quite difficult to work out just how fucked Hull City actually are. The asking price that the bastard owners are holding out for is ridiculously overinflated, but the possibility remains that it may come down with the sale of a couple of players, but mainly Jarrod Bowen. I still don't have much time for the guy, but Nigel Adkins has done a more than commendable job under the circumstances, and has gone a long way to rebuilding the stock that was badly damaged by his stints at Sheffield United and Reading. His contract is up, however, and talks seem to be dragging. This usually means, judging by the past record of the clowns in charge, that he'll be off. If that happens, and we have our usual summer recruitment shenanigans, get everything you have on us being next season's Ipswich.

Comment

Mark Warburton confirmed as this year's manager by QPR.

Comment

I can't decide which bread-related pun to post.

Comment

Tom Robinson earworm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGNB5M3Kg4

Comment

Just seen this. Returning to apologise to Ray in that Bielsa confirms he was correct on the substance:

https://twitter.com/PhilHayYEP/statu...58739345756160

""This has nothing to do with the situation against Aston Villa because we feinted to put the ball out and didn't. I'm not talking about that. We just want to find a solution to this moment of doubt.""

Haven't read any of the replies above and leaving again now, but felt Ray deserved the apology on the basis of Bielsa's new statement. Cheers.

Comment

Thanks statto, very fair of you. Would be good if you stuck around too.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X