Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    I couldn't begin to predict who might get second place to Norwich out of Sheffield United and Leeds, but I'm pretty sure that it will be Villa that go up through the play-offs.
    I'd like to think so SoftS, but sounds like we made it difficult for ourselves, and could possibly have been down to 10 men with 10 minutes to go...

Comment

That was a game when only the result mattered. Those three points all but assure the play-off spot and means they don't have to go looking for points in the final two games, and considering they are against Norwich and Leeds that's pretty handy ahead of the play-off games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
        That was a game when only the result mattered. Those three points all but assure the play-off spot and means they don't have to go looking for points in the final two games, and considering they are against Norwich and Leeds that's pretty handy ahead of the play-off games.
        With Bristol City losing and Derby 0-0 with QPR as well as Sheffield Utd 0-3 up against Hull, a play off place should be relatively secure. Let's see how the scores pan out by 4.45...

Comment

Been a decidedly mediocre season for Wednesday but at least we have managed to create our own goal of the season competition

https://twitter.com/WednesdayFansNL/status/1120331270603575296?s=19

Comment

My nerves are shot today.

Comment

Leeds have just been denied the most clear cut penalty you could imagine, with the referee having a perfect view of Bamford being chopped down too.

Comment

Ref added on 11 minutes time at Derby and managed to find a penalty no one else could see for them about seven minutes in. An absolute joke. Doesn't matter to us, we're safe now anyway, but Bristol and Boro should be well pissed.

Comment

Yes, in north and east bristol they'll be inconsolable

Comment

This ref seems a sound guy

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                      Brentford's players are already on the beach in away games at least.

However, they can make me forgive a succession of feeble performances by fulfilling my one remaining wish for this season - beat Leeds on Easter Monday.
                      Loved it. Superb performance.

Now if only we could keep this bunch of players together for just one more season.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                        Ref added on 11 minutes time at Derby and managed to find a penalty no one else could see for them about seven minutes in. An absolute joke. Doesn't matter to us, we're safe now anyway, but Bristol and Boro should be well pissed.
                        I mean, it would be nice to make the play-offs because who doesn't like an extra couple of games, but let's face it none of the 3 teams fighting for that last spot look likely to go up barring an almighty fluke.

Comment

We are crawling over the line but are so close now. I thought we had blown it today and never expected Leeds to capitulate like they did. One more point will clinch it but it's possible for us to lose both our matches and go up unless a goal difference of ten is turned around (given that Leeds play Ipswich, this may not be impossible).

Wouldn't surprise me if Sheff Utd overtake us on the final day. No complaints - they look fantastic at the moment and Chris Willder has done an incredible job there. As long as we go up, I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                            Yes, in north and east bristol they'll be inconsolable
                            Quite. I'm sure supporters of London, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Glasgow, Edinburgh and numerous others agree.

Happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              Leeds have just been denied the most clear cut penalty you could imagine, with the referee having a perfect view of Bamford being chopped down too.
                              I mean, it's not as if we need any help comprehensively desecrating the most optimistic season we've had in a couple of decades. I like to think the ref was being merciful after watching what happened when we were actually given one early in the Wigan game.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                                We are crawling over the line but are so close now. I thought we had blown it today and never expected Leeds to capitulate like they did.
                                Good grief, Arturo, do you know nothing of our history at all? I mean, it's even the top article on the main WSC page. "Empty handed" is our speciality.

Don Revie's side were challenging for three trophies as the season neared its end, but 15 games in 46 days proved too much for his stretched squad

Comment

Ah but you're forgetting 92.

Comment

Yes, there was 92. A couple of other nice ones, too. There was also 70, 73, 75, 87, 96, 00, 01, 02, 06, 08, 09, 11, 17 and now 19. All of those involved missing out on something very important by one place or one match.

Comment

So, it's straight down for us. Three of our last four games we've been ahead at half-time and then lost. The other game we were two down at half-time and then drew...

Comment

Commiserations, GO. I suppose not mathematically done and dusted, but it looks that way. Your manager sounds like a decent sort. I hope you hang onto him, if that's what you're after.

Comment

Same here, GO. At least we get to stay where we are (seemingly forever).

And hello again DD, also!

Comment

Good to see you on here Statto. How's things? Apart from the obvious dip in form.

Comment

Basically ok, DD. I hope the same for you, and possibly even for an opportunity to meet up again at some point. Are you still in the same neck of the woods?

Comment

What can I say? For once Brentford have been the beneficiaries of a random Keith Stroud decision.

Comment

I'd have a little bit more sympathy for Bamford but then I remember how he sulked and plodded his way through a loan spell during our last foray in the top flight. There was a player who appeared to think he was too good for us but actually offered nothing of note. Nor any goals.

Comment

Bamford is a strange one. His last meaningful participation in the game was the penalty incident. After that, I don't think he broke sweat.

Leeds looked shot mentally. Hernandez burst in to tears at the final whistle and I don't know what's happened to Jack Clarke. He was brilliant when he came on at Elland Road against Brentford but yesterday he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

After the second goal, their heads dropped and it was Brentford who were playing the fast, passing, technical football. A neutral would have thought Bielsa was the Brentford manager.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X