No announcement yet.

Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody hell that was close. Norwich pissing chances away at will and then enduring a nervous ten minutes after Chris Martin pulled it back to 3-2.

Carrow Road seems awfully quiet for a full house watching a team go top of the league.

Comment

Horribly tense finale at Carrow Road in a game that we should have wrapped up much earlier. Huge result that gives us a little cushion again and two lovely goals as well, but the nerves were really kicking in.

Tim Krul provided the obligatory fuck up as I predicted.

Comment

Sorry Cantagalo I ended up sounding more critical of Brentford than I am. I'm well aware of the business model and more importantly of the excellent football you consistently strive to produce and yes, you are quite correct, we do indeed have our fair share of the great unwashed. I guess I'm getting a bit wound up by the current state of play in the Championship. With our track record of ending up on the wrong side of critical matches I tend to be pessimistic and I so hope that this year we can come through.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Well, there would be a certain nostalgia about that from my perspective as a Leeds fan. Last time we got promoted to the top flight, at the end of the 1989-90 season, the other automatically promoted club was Sheffield United. And if a repeat of that double promotion would be "apocalyptic", then ad hoc presumably needs some super-apocalyptic terminology to describe the result of the 89-90 season, when Wednesday were simultaneously relegated from the top tier.

Mild preference on my part for the Blades to go up with us, merely because I happen to have encountered more anti-Leeds comments from Norwich fans recently than from Blades fans, but I expect that's just a function of having been exposed to more Norwich comments than Blades comments.

As for the question of Leeds getting promoted, I have to say this would be a joyful season for it to happen in, when we have less awful owners than we have had for many years and also an utterly wonderful manager. The days of, for example, Ken Bates and Dennis Wise are just a distant nightmare. Then, of course, winning *the* title two years after promotion like last time, please.
          All for a bit of 89-90 nostalgia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ1wVYz5lOE - a real period piece, I've still no idea who the zone man is.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Empty View Post
            Sorry Cantagalo I ended up sounding more critical of Brentford than I am. I'm well aware of the business model and more importantly of the excellent football you consistently strive to produce and yes, you are quite correct, we do indeed have our fair share of the great unwashed. I guess I'm getting a bit wound up by the current state of play in the Championship. With our track record of ending up on the wrong side of critical matches I tend to be pessimistic and I so hope that this year we can come through.
            Thanks for that. Have another look at that thread. I've just re-read it and, apart from the odd idiot who seems to think you're still managed by Bassett or Warnock, the vast majority are not only aware of our own shortcomings but also respectful and complimentary towards Sheffield United. One of the most liked posts was '...they play some good football, tonight they've dug in because they were down to 10 men. Comparing them to Cardiff is just wrong'.

I too hope you can come through. As I said, good luck on Saturday.
            Last edited by cantagalo; 14-03-2019, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              I dunno, I reckon it's pretty much standard most years. One team that is unlucky to miss out on automatic promotion. Two teams which have been there or thereabouts all season but not really looked like making the top 2 and a 4th which comes on a late run (I'm going to predict Forest for that last one, possibly Villa).
              Based on the first 25' today, you're looking more likely than Forest for that tag...

Comment

That's an amazing win. Painful as it may be there is no team that deserves more to go up than United and no manager better than Wilder in this league

Comment

Crazily tight at the moment. Three points covering 6th to 12th.

Comment

Ha, and then Villa score, moving them into 6th as things stand.

Comment

Dare to Nuhiu.

Comment

Birmingham City to be deducted nine points for EFL rule breaches

Comment

From the BBC site above "In January Birmingham revealed a £37.5m loss in the 12 months to the end of June 2018, largely a result of their wage bill rising from £22m to almost £38m after an extensive recruitment drive in the summer of 2017." The manager over the Summer of 17 - a certain Mr H Redknapp.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/1108504344972967938

Comment

Mrs b's reaction was along the lines of "FFS, even in a season when they're comfortably in mid-table, Blues will find a way to get involved in a relegation fight."

Comment

They got off lightly (a twelve point deduction was expected) particularly as they not only overspent, but also flagrantly broke a transfer embargo. But the FL's FFP enforcement is a hot mess, and so long as that continues some clubs will risk flouting the rules. Thanks a bunch Shaun Harvey.

Comment

Birmingham were incredibly lucky to stay up the season Redknapp was in charge (2016-17). They finished two points above the relegation zone thanks to a win against Huddersfield, who made 10 changes as they sought to rest players for their upcoming (successful) play-off campaign. The league has since tightened their rules on how many changes you can make in matches at the end of a campaign.

Comment

If, as is probable, Birmingham avoid relegation, they will have got off extremely lightly. They will have effectively escaped any real punishment for flouting and actively breaking the rules

Is it possible that the EFL were influenced by a desire to avoid expensive costs for any potential appeals in a protracted legal case as with QPR?

Comment

In a way Harry is right, it's not the managers job to work out if the club can afford it or not, it's up to the board to say "no, there's no money left, either sell to buy or make do " and they obviously didn't.

Comment

I've been meaning to ask for a few years, what does "hot mess" actually specifically mean and where does it come from?

Comment

Who the hell knows? Divining chicken entrails aren't my forte. Nothing the FL does administratively ever makes sense, cf: their "fit and proper persons" rule — if it can be called that.

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                          If, as is probable, Birmingham avoid relegation, they will have got off extremely lightly.
                                          Perhaps but they do have a tough run coming up. Their next three matches are West Brom, Sheff Utd and Leeds, and they've lost their last four matches without scoring a goal.

The actual judgement is gobsmacking. Apparently a breach of £8m-£10m means a seven point deduction (huh?) Signing a player during an embargo is worth another three points. But they knocked one off that for good behaviour WTFF! Apparently because Birmingham admitted doing it. It was in their fucking Financials you dunderheads, how were they going to hide it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            I've been meaning to ask for a few years, what does "hot mess" actually specifically mean and where does it come from?
                                            Diarrhea. Or it did when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              In a way Harry is right, it's not the managers job to work out if the club can afford it or not, it's up to the board to say "no, there's no money left, either sell to buy or make do " and they obviously didn't.
                                              That's what Fernandes finally did at QPR. 'Arry saw the writing on the wall, and quit, "because his knees couldn't stand the strain."

Comment

Amor's must be a British variant.

Over here . . .

The term hot mess originally referred to a mess that was literally hot—mess in this case being related to the kind served in a mess hall. Before it was anything else, mess was a word for a quantity of food. (It traces back to the Late Latin missus, meaning “course at a meal.”) Later it referred to a prepared dish of specifically soft food. And a hot mess was originally a hot dish of such food:

Comment

Do Birmingham have some political connections that might have enabled them to pull strings for the light sentence?

Comment

They might be in further trouble for turning down realistic transfer offers for Che Evans in January.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X